Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dear Sami

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Would you come over and wave to the fans who just booed the team off at the final whistle? The players half-heartedly came over and knew how shit they had been by their body language.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Certainly the players and manager should show respect to the fans for the expense, hassle and support of away games but you cannot tell someone to respect the fans if they don't want to. The lack of respect tells you something about the person.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Did he hurt your precious feelings?

Aww diddums. Maybe mummy will kiss it better.

Jesus Christ, there's more important stuff to worry about that whether the manager applauds the supporters or not.

Hardly surprising he didn't after they chanted he didn't know what he was doing.

Camel,

If you think things like that are not important small as they may be - then you need to
think again. I was at Brum yesterday - and while it doesn't bother me - it did seem odd that
the players came over to applaud the supporters - but he didn't. It just portrays in my mind
a person who is not that sensitive to, as the OP states - the people who pay his wages. And that
is a dangerous line to walk.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Certainly the players and manager should show respect to the fans for the expense, hassle and support of away games but you cannot tell someone to respect the fans if they don't want to. The lack of respect tells you something about the person.

I admit that I've never been to an away match, but I respect those who do for the above reasons. It's not a case of Sami 'having to' do this, it's just one action that can help cement a good relationship between the club/team and the fans.

There is little doubt in my mind that this is not a good time for the club, perhaps it will be OK, but at the moment there is a need to remain positive and everything that helps achieve this, including a wave, would be a good thing.

The alternative is a slow spiral, by the club, into self disbelief and that will surely take a lot of time and money to reverse. :wave:

devonsi

"By-The-Sea"
Dec 26, 2008
Plymouth
I understood that in Finland it was customary for every travelling fan at the final whistle to be presented by the manager in person with a magnum of champagne, before being taken off by a busty, flaxen-haired maiden for a steamy sauna followed by a birch-twig thrashing and vigorous hand job.

And you lot just want to be clapped? Ye gods...
Well maybe just a little, bowing, grovlling & averting of eyes would be nice too 😉

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Jesus Christ, there's more important stuff to worry about that whether the manager applauds the supporters or not.

Hardly surprising he didn't after they chanted he didn't know what he was doing.

The bit I have highlighted is such a pointless and childish response, the rest of it is fine as an opinion goes, not that I agree with it, I think it's very important that the players and manager respect the fact that fans have spent hard earned money to come and support the team, win or lose.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Didn't even applaude on his league debut either did he?
Very odd but not really a big issue :)

Agree. I really don't care to be honest, BUT, it is a bit odd.

Sami is a gent, so I'm a bit surprised he doesn't buy into this little ritual.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
The bit I have highlighted is such a pointless and childish response, the rest of it is fine as an opinion goes, not that I agree with it, I think it's very important that the players and manager respect the fact that fans have spent hard earned money to come and support the team, win or lose.

Yeah, maybe it was childish but I was pretty angry when when I wrote this.

You have to earn someone's respect, you shouldn't just EXPECT it.

The Brighton supporters at the game had slagged Sami off. Chanting to a manager "you don't know what you're doing" is pretty much the biggest insult you can pay a manager.

It's his third game, he's still learning about the players and the players are still learning about the system he wants them to play.

To slag him off so soon in his tenure is completely out of order. I wouldn't have blamed Sami for flicking a v sign at the supporters instead of applauding them.

The supporters who chanted that don't know what they are doing.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

The Brighton supporters at the game had slagged Sami off. Chanting to a manager "you don't know what you're doing" is pretty much the biggest insult you can pay a manager.

It's his third game, he's still learning about the players and the players are still learning about the system he wants them to play.

To slag him off so soon in his tenure is completely out of order. I wouldn't have blamed Sami for flicking a v sign at the supporters instead of applauding them.

So what about rising above it then? You would earn respect from the people chanting
that if you did. Also - what about people like where we were standing - who did not boo at
anything and sang for most of the game?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

Where am I slagging him off then ?

As for respect. Well hopefully he might respect fans who work hard all week and then dig into there pockets to watch the team play away games
Also there was a small minority chanting but seeing you were sat at home you wouldn't realise that would you !

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I can't see the point of applauding the players off the pitch (except if they've put in a great performance) so I'm not at all bothered if the managers or players don't come over to clap me after the game.
You went to an away game, what do want a f*cking medal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here