Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should there be Championship Players in the England Team?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It will happen, soon, and increasingly often. English players good enough for the Premier League will become rarer.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd go further...

...Get a complete team made up of Championship players in. Have a system in mind, get team players playing to it and **** the premiershite off out of it and leave them to eat themselves. It's gone beyond a joke now and no amount of tinkering at the edges is going to change anything in our lifetime. We need a complete radical re think for the national team.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Chris Waddle had a good point - don't pick the 'best' 11 players in the country, pick 11 who work together. The majority of the Costa Rica team seems to be made up of players not from "big" teams - there is no reason why, to my mind, a tricky Championship right back or a tough old Championship defensive midfielder, should not be considered. Just because they're not playing for Man U or Liverpool or Chelsea, means little next to nothing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chris Waddle had a good point - don't pick the 'best' 11 players in the country, pick 11 who work together. The majority of the Costa Rica team seems to be made up of players not from "big" teams - there is no reason why, to my mind, a tricky Championship right back or a tough old Championship defensive midfielder, should not be considered. Just because they're not playing for Man U or Liverpool or Chelsea, means little next to nothing.

I listened to Waddle earlier, and he's a breath of fresh air, isn't he? He has ideas. He knows that nothing will change, and is passionate about condemning this. "We will learn nothing, we never, ever do".

More people like him campaigning for something new, something different, and I might get a bit of hope back.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd go further...

...Get a complete team made up of Championship players in. Have a system in mind, get team players playing to it and **** the premiershite off out of it and leave them to eat themselves. It's gone beyond a joke now and no amount of tinkering at the edges is going to change anything in our lifetime. We need a complete radical re think for the national team.

A team full of championship players is an experiment that the results of Scotland and Wales show wouldn't work.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Most international players are recognised by the teams they play for domestically. As time goes on the World Cup will become of less importance-especially with FIFA as it is.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the leagues represented in Brazil at present. Especially lower leagues.

I wonder how Costa Rica would perform in the Championship.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Have a look at this as some food for thought. http://spiritofmirko.com/2012/05/17/foreign-players-in-the-championship-20112012/

Not sure how the bang up to date figures are to be fair. Not quite as favourable to England would be my guess.

Thanks for that, very interesting. My point is that we have failed again, so there must be something else. Yes by selecting some, not all players from the championship, would we not see some desire from players seeking to move on and showcase themselves. Italy, Portugal, Italy and Spain all struggling, is there something symptomatic about these highly paid, applauded, advert and commercial driven players that leaves them short on delivery. Would the establishment allow players from our second tier to be selected.

Again a draw with a team already through and avoiding injury and suspension and we manage a 0 - 0 draw and players talking it up, we're not stupid we can see for ourselves you failed us all.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
If they're able to compete against the opposition and are considered to be genuinely worthy of a spot, rather than being called up for shock value, then why not?

That said, who of the current Championship players would be picked? Why could it not be a selection of PL lesser lights instead (Curtis Davies, Ryan Shawcross etc)?

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
Hypothetically, if England were in the premiership where do you think they'd finish?

I'm really not sure myself but they certainly wouldn't be top four

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hypothetically, if England were in the premiership where do you think they'd finish?

I'm really not sure myself but they certainly wouldn't be top four

If the England 23 were to train together 4-5 times a week for 10 months a year and play 40-50 games a season then they'd be a very good club side - top 4 certainly. Any half decent club side would do ok in the World Cup because of that reason.

The notion that you could put a squad of 23 Championship level players together that only got together 7-8 times a year, and that they would somehow be better than the current squad because they 'wanted it' is nonsense.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
If the England 23 were to train together 4-5 times a week for 10 months a year and play 40-50 games a season then they'd be a very good club side - top 4 certainly. Any half decent club side would do ok in the World Cup because of that reason.

The notion that you could put a squad of 23 Championship level players together that only got together 7-8 times a year, and that they would somehow be better than the current squad because they 'wanted it' is nonsense.

They would probably win it by 10 points or more.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

He talks a lot of sense and made some very incisive comments about development of players from schoolboy onwards that were emphatically correct about the stupidity of the whole system.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wasnt Steve Ball not a Championship player when he played for England ?

Steve Bull? Yes he was. Made the Italia 90 squad; although never really a key player. Gary Pallister was in Division 2 when he won his first cap as well.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

Which is exactly how we won it in 1966. The eleven who won the cup weren't all best in their positions, greaves didn't play and
Cohen wasn't the best. It was a team effort with no prima donnas. Good workmanlike players who gelled, played for each other and the team. No big sponsorship deals and payments. Just proud to play for their country, and quite deserve the accolades they now reap in retirement.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Steve Bull? Yes he was. Made the Italia 90 squad; although never really a key player. Gary Pallister was in Division 2 when he won his first cap as well.

A great team though. :thumbsup: although Gazza was our world class player then. We could do with a few more of him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here