Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black footballers - help needed

Jul 7, 2003
The Orient team of the late 70's were just as much trailblazers as West Brom. If I remember correctly they had the likes of Henry Houghton, John Cheidoze (sp?) and the wonderfully named Tunji Banjo in their side.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am helping with a research paper on the history, integration and impact of black footballers in British professional football.
There is plenty of statistical information, but looking for my primary source stuff... such as first hand accounts and memories.
The first black footballer I can remember as a kid was Albert Johanneson, who played for Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s. Then a little later Cyril Regis at West Brom.
Any info or memories - certainly from the 50s, 60s and early 70s would be gratefully appreciated... cheers!

Dennis Foreman played for the Albion in the 50s -I think he was mixed race, with SA parentage, but worth checking out. A pivotal moment for black footballers came in the 80s, I think, with the three black players for West Brom. I can recall them being interviewed on MOTD where the race issue was raised. They came over really well.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We had Mike Small who did well for us before going for money to West Ham. Justin Fashanu came with dodgy knees, had previously had better days but an unhappy end. Terry Connor needed ten yards to trap a ball.
We didn't employ Garth Crooks who had a good career with Spurs but I have to say he comes across as a really self opinionated dick.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't forget Spider - Viv Anderson - an extremely popular player at Forest and England's first black international

Paul Reaney (see post #8) made his England debut in 1968.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Albion's 1950s inside-forward Denis Foreman - who was also a county cricketer - was probably classified in his native South Africa as 'coloured' through being mixed-race -(in the UK, 'half-caste').

How offensive all that seems nowadays. However, 21st-century America's 'people of colour' racial identifier is totally absurd - suggesting as it does that everybody else in the world is some kind of barely visible albino.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Tony Collins*was the first black manager in the English Football League, taking charge at Rochdale A.F.C. from June 1960 until September 1967. He led Rochdale to their only League Cup final in 1962.o He was also Crystal Palace's first black player........but ignore that bit!!!!!!

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Dennis Foreman played for the Albion in the 50s -I think he was mixed race, with SA parentage, but worth checking out. A pivotal moment for black footballers came in the 80s, I think, with the three black players for West Brom. I can recall them being interviewed on MOTD where the race issue was raised. They came over really well.
Dennis Foreman was from Cape Town and was one of the first South African to play professionally in UK. He was classed as coloured in SA. He also played cricket for Sussex. Dennis was my PE Teacher for 6 years and a great bloke with some great stories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here