Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name one band...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Woah, I'm not having that. I adore everything that they did but the best stuff is the early stuff with Eno and Manzanera.

Absolutely, the first two albums (with Eno) are still magnificent - they rather drifted into AOR after that

Last edited:

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I honestly cannot think of a single band in the entire history of popular music, LESS suited to being included in this thread. Seriously.
They were a brilliant, brilliant band, who went on to become too 'pop' and too middle of the road. The day Michael Stipe woke up and thought, "Hey! I know what we need. We need to get Kate Pearson in, to duet on a real happy song. It'll be great" was the beginning of the end.

This. Every word. I carried on buying stuff, well after I'd given up on them doing anything good, purely out of loyalty to the brilliant band I'd loved previously.

Mind you, much as I hate Shiny Happy People, I don't hate it NEARLY as much as this bloke. Crikey. Actually, I'm not sure I hate ANYTHING as much as he hates this song!
http://www.avclub.com/article/the-lawrence-arms-brendan-kelly-hates-rems-shiny-h-200885

Not for me chap. Like I say, each to their own.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Kasabian, IMHO, are getting better and better. Especially their live performances - my favourite live band by a long way.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One song? If you're going to say their earlier stuff surely Under The Bridge is more appropriate to us instead of True Men Don't Kill Coyeetes?

Either way, I'll add The Black Keys.

Under the Bridge was nearly 10 Years after True men don't Kill Coyotes

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
U2 (can't be doing with the band but no denying Eno transformed them)
And from a quick scan of iPod:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
Beatles, Rolling Stones definitely.
Beach Boys was a great shout earlier
Beastie Boys
Kylie
Everything but the Girl
Depeche Mode

There will probably be loads more that come to me on my commute but I'll leave it there.

Just to add that I agree completely with HKFC and Driver8 regarding REM. They peaked for me at Green and it's still one of my favourite albums. I think they lost their magic after Automatic For The People.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Happy Mondays - wasn't till they met up with oakenfold they produced something listenable. I'd also nominate primal scream for similar reasons

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I honestly cannot think of a single band in the entire history of popular music, LESS suited to being included in this thread. Seriously.
They were a brilliant, brilliant band, who went on to become too 'pop' and too middle of the road. The day Michael Stipe woke up and thought, "Hey! I know what we need. We need to get Kate Pearson in, to duet on a real happy song. It'll be great" was the beginning of the end.

I think that's the nail on the head there, and why bands like REM are going top pop up - I think bands have tendency to do this as they smell fame an money, and if you're a fan you're going to like the original stuff, but if you're not the more mainstream stuff is going to appeal a little more...... The Smiths, U2 also spring to mind. Simple Minds we mentioned earlier as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Happy Mondays - wasn't till they met up with oakenfold they produced something listenable. I'd also nominate primal scream for similar reasons

Yet for me Bummed is my favourite album of theirs and 24 Hour Party People...... my third favourite. From that era though I'd nominate Flowered Up. It's On now sounds awful and dated whereas I still regularly play the whole extended mix of Weekender. As an opposite Ocean Colour Scene who I first saw live at around the same time as Flowered Up started off amazingly and quickly descended in to MOR Brit Pop rubbish.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here