Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever really cocked up on an email ?

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
My ex once invited a whole user group of about 500 people to dinner.

Perhaps more awkwardly, I once accidentally replied to an email from HR rather than forwarding it. Unfortunately I also put in a message saying "what are the incompetent idiots playing at now"! As soon as I realised what I had done I had to phone and grovel. Interesting it was the fastest I have ever got an issue with HR sorted out!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Couple of decades ago I worked for a medium-sized fitness company (65'ish sites). These two Geordies plus myself ran the servers and network. Some chap had gone on holiday and forwarded his emails to his hotmail, a day or two in and he'd filled up his 10mb hotmail allowance and we started getting bounce backs, 'this mailbox is full'. Which would then be forwarded to his hotmail. Which would bounce back.

In short order our mail servers went down. It was Saturday and I got a call from the IT Director who happened to be in the office. At this point we didn't know what had happened but he was on the phone asking how he could help. "I'm in the comms room and can see the mailserver has rebooted". Exchange has a boot password, which the Geordies had brilliantly decided to make a list of a load of swear words. IT Director wouldn't accept that I was coming in, he demanded the password.

"Ok, type; 'fu' got it?"
"Yep"
"Now 'ckcu'..."
"...'ntpu'...'ssys'...'hits'..."
"...'luts'..."

You get the idea. He wasn't a moron so not best pleased. Especially when the server went down about 30 seconds after starting again. We had to go through that password several times before he accepted I should come in.

That is just the start of how ridiculous the Geordies were.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Not e mail but just as embarrassing. In the 90's I worked for a mobile phone network and we got to trial all the new technology. We were using a system that allowed you to leave a direct voicemail for another user or group without actually ringing and speaking to them.

Each night I had to leave the sales teams deals that day for my manager. In the message I had praised one of the female members of the team who had a good day but also mentioned how nice it would be to reward her with a bit of you know what. I managed to send the message to my sales team group voicemail instead of my manager.

Needless to say I immediately received a number of calls from my sales team along the lines of "Do you realise what you just did" including from the said female mentioned :ffsparr:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You lot think you've got problems? Try being called 'Ross' and signing off emails with your name when the 'T' is lurking right there on the keyboard next to the 'R' :down:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
He he. I have a very similar incident in my locker, caused by rushing and the bad luck of two keys being close together, but giving a very different attitude to the whole email.

I can't remember what had happened, but basically I was giving a hard time to a couple of guys on site. Probably the site manager had left it to the QS, and vice versa, when BOTH should have stepped up and grasped the situation. Anyway, I was ranting, I was raving, firing my two index fingers at the keyboard like never before.

When in such a rage, I type too fast, so I do (nearly) always read my emails back, even if it's only to try and pick up my inevitable collection of "teh" typos. On this occasion, I did read it back, and yes I was being firm, yes I was being angry, but I felt it warranted it. Yep, happy with that, so just signed off with my usual "Regards" and hit send.

The "g" and the "t" are so close to each, but it really does sign off in a very different tone at the end of a bollocking.

Winner. Winner. Chicken dinner :lolol:

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I once wanted a secatary sacked because she was awful. I was composing an email to my partner, who sat opposite me stating that I want her gone asap (as he dealt with that). Because her name was in my head and I was on one I sent the email to her!!!!

Two minutes later she walked into the office......

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Once apologised for "the incontinence" when writing to my Vice President. Meant inconvenience but spell check f*****d me over

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I sent an email to a colleague (another uni lecturer) commenting that a senior technician was getting on my wick by going down the pub at noon and breathing beery breath all over the students in the lab in the afternoon. The context was exasperation because the line management was not interested and this guy had been fatherbedded for years,. This was part of a longer email to someone I regarded as a reasonably convivial acquaintance. He replied and delibrately ccd the technician, complimenting him on his performance (the message being 'don't rock the boat, even if the first mate is a drunken bimble****').

I was embarrassed and angred in equal measure.

Interestingly the technician did jump every time I coughed, forevermore, but, as Peter Cook would have said, what a way to run a nightclub.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I once wanted a secatary sacked because she was awful. I was composing an email to my partner, who sat opposite me stating that I want her gone asap (as he dealt with that). Because her name was in my head and I was on one I sent the email to her!!!!

Two minutes later she walked into the office......

Your company employs someone to use secateurs? Nice. :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Priceless - I am still laughing 10 minutes after reading this

You can laugh. I tried to style it out by making out my shoe had squeeked on the floor, with a pathetic half-arsed silent scuffed moonwalk. Not a word was uttered.

But she knew.

She knew.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have heard of an incident sometime ago where someone tried to get another person into trouble (for some reason of little consequence) and produced a print out email as evidence, waving it around like Neville Chamberlain.

They then got the old tin-tac regarding the content of the email,as it was confiscated.

No one knows where the email has gone or when it might resurface.

Apparently it's stlll laughed about most days and on occasions even acted out.

So I heard

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My auto-correct changed a junior member of the team from Naz to Nazi. Why that was even in Microsoft Outlooks dictionary I'm not sure but it too some explaining 'Morning Nazi...' :facepalm:
I once knew a German girl called Maxi....

Endless hilarity with predictive text.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've had the odd 'Kind Retards' before, but that's nothing compared to some of the GOLD in this thread.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Dare we ask what the most embarrassing was?

As far as the topic goes, a member of my family once sent out a document to various people and organisations around Sussex, including the Lord Lieutenant and various mayors, with regard to a charity with which they are involved. Said document should have been headed "List Of Public Events"...

Ooh I know the Lord Lieutenant of Sussex. Will ask him about this before the next home game!

As for embarrassing emails once had a female colleague mistakenly hit reply all to an All Staff email in relation to the hiring of an executive board member of my previous company where this individual had an unspoken nickname/likening to a snivelling, shaking shitting lap dog of the current CEO topped off with the finale of "maybe he puts up with it because he's so small and insignificant that the shits he does must be minute"

Needless to say feet didn't touch the ground etc...

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Yeah,

I basically called an engineering manager at Anglian Water a wanker, because he didn't do his job properly and we in debt resolution were getting complaints about low water pressure.

I simply asked for an ETA for repair so we can relay this back to customers. Apparently, they don't need to know and that I should stick to my job..

In the early days when i was a junior programmer and lotus notes was our mail server i had learnt how to mask the sender name in emails and thought it would be "fun" to email one of my "colleagues" (one of lifes genuine bitches) that she had an extremely arrogant attitude and needed to learn the meaning of the word compassion. I had masked the sender to make it look like it had come from one of our senior managers and sent it. I obviously wasnt clever enough in covering my tracks and certainly didnt expect her to confront the senior manager who promptly launched a full scale investigation!..Cue my imminent resignation before being fired for gross misconduct :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here