Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freeview as an alternative to Virgin / Sky. Advice please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's beginning to look like I'm going to bottle it, again.

With BT I can get everything inc BT Sports for £38.00.

The only thing missing is Sky Atlantic :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Am I right in thinking that a Roku Stick is the same as an Amazon Fire Stick?

Is one better than the other?

I don't know anything at all about the Amazon Fire Stick to be honest so can't say. Sorry.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's beginning to look like I'm going to bottle it, again.

With BT I can get everything inc BT Sports for £38.00.

When you say "everything", does that include Sky Sports and Eurosport?

And is that just a tv package for £38 or phone/broadband and tv?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you say "everything", does that include Sky Sports and Eurosport?

And is that just a tv package for £38 or phone/broadband and tv?

TV, broadband, 3xBT Sports, ESPN, and the biggie Eurosport.

I just need to read the fine print and make sure it's not a 'only the first 3 months, then we'll screw you' deal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
TV, broadband, 3xBT Sports, ESPN, and the biggie Eurosport.

I just need to read the fine print and make sure it's not a 'only the first 3 months, then we'll screw you' deal.

Very handy to have Eurosport on 'proper tv' and able to record it.

Still over double what I pay for unlimited broadband and line rental, so I'm happy with casting Eurosport at £19.99 a year myself and using Koid for the rest.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Will a sky dish work for freesat?

Yes. Just need to point it to the freesat signal and have a freesat box.

Edit: In fact scrub that. Seems you don't even need to adjust your dish as they both use the same satellite. Even easier then :thumbsup:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Binned Sky after 20 odd years and going for BT Infinity unlimited broadband and BT sport through my laptop (£29.99 as opposed to £102.00 !!)

Anyone know if they want their box back, and if they don't will it carry on picking up the freeview channels ?

Cheers

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Binned Sky after 20 odd years and going for BT Infinity unlimited broadband and BT sport through my laptop (£29.99 as opposed to £102.00 !!)

Anyone know if they want their box back, and if they don't will it carry on picking up the freeview channels ?

Cheers

No they wont want the box back and yes you can pick up FreeSat channels. But you won't be able to record on the SKY Box unless you pay them I think £10 a month to re-activate the recording section.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I would go freesat rather than freeview, more channels and better hardware so you can still benefit from recording, live pause, rewind etc. You can use your existing sky dish, small additional expense to buy and install if you're coming from virgin.

I've just ditched sky and moved to a Humax 1100S 500gb box, pays for itself in 5 months of no sky subscription and I'll just need a £7 a month now TV entertainment pass to carry on watching exactly what I watched before.

Okay if you can do without Sky Sports

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
You can get it from NOW TV without a contract - just pay a monthly fee as and when you have the time to get stuck in. How would that work?

Now TV is the cheapest way to access Sky's content and it is aimed at those who are unable to have regular Sky, perhaps due to lack of satellite or budget. There are two options, as we mentioned, with this section focusing on the original Now TV box that is still be available alongside the new Now TV Smart Box.

Now TV is an online streaming service that offers access to live TV channels, as well as on demand services. The original Now TV box itself costs a one-off £14.99 and you will need internet access so take that into account, but it is worth noting that Now TV is also available on Chromecast, PS4, PS3, YouView and others so you don't need to buy a separate box if you have any of the compatible devices.

Rather than a yearly contract like Sky+HD, Now TV has what it calls Now TV Passes that allow you to pay monthly for services. There is an Entertainment Pass for £6.99 a month, a Movies Pass for £9.99 a month and three Sports Passes from £6.99 and you can choose the ones you want and when. There is also a Kids Pass for £2.99 a month, which will give you access to channels including Nickelodeon, Nick Jr and The Disney Channel. These channels were originally available with the Entertainment Pass but as of 21 June, they have to be accessed separately.

The Entertainment Pass delivers a month's access to over 250 Sky Box Sets and 11 live channels that aren't available on Freeview including Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, MTC and Comedy Central. Movies offers a month's access to over 1000 movies on demand including up to 16 new Sky Movies premieres each month. Sports is split into a day pass for £6.99, a week pass for £10.99 and a month pass for £31.99, all of which offer access to the seven Sky Sports channels. You can add a pass and take it away on a month-by-month basis, so add movies just for December for example.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/136...d-vs-sky-q-which-sky-package-is-right-for-you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have a tv Ariel and plug it in to the back of the tv, we have about 200 channels of tv and radio, mostly crap but are saving a fortune then ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Very handy to have Eurosport on 'proper tv' and able to record it.

Still over double what I pay for unlimited broadband and line rental, so I'm happy with casting Eurosport at £19.99 a year myself and using Koid for the rest.

So what do you pay for your BB and line and who is ISP?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Virgin do freeview with your line rental and Internet

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here