Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough offering Dean Saunders a job!

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
cloughie wot a legend ! his record is amazing- in total 267 goals in 296 games, 204 in 222 for boro or put simply
3 in 9 season 55-56
40 in 44 season 56-57
42 in 42 season 57-58
43 in 43 season 58-59 all for boro
63 in 74 season for sunderland
also in a 42 game unbeaten run -----------------how much would he be worth today !!!!! Big head indeed no wonder he gave players stick !
I couldn't put his book down tales such as meeting Archie Gemmell in a pub to convince him to sign for Forest -and when told ill have to sleep on it -clough said fine what is mrs Gemmell cooking for dinner ? had dinner as a guest (after inviting himself !) slept in the spare bedroom and as mrs Gemmell was cooking breakfast for them both finally nailed him as a forest player --crikey what a fantastic bloke a true character and very hard to disagree with football wise .
For youngsters-- google him your be amazed -in equivilant terms he won back to back premiership titles and European cups with
forest

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Just the one league title on the top flight

Still amazing though

UOTE=The red pepper kid;7579629]cloughie wot a legend ! his record is amazing- in total 267 goals in 296 games, 204 in 222 for boro or put simply
3 in 9 season 55-56
40 in 44 season 56-57
42 in 42 season 57-58
also in a 42 game unbeaten run -----------------how much would he be worth today !!!!! Big head indeed no wonder he gave players stick !
I couldn't put his book down tales such as meeting Archie Gemmell in a pub to convince him to sign for Forest -and when told ill have to sleep on it -clough said fine what is mrs Gemmell cooking for dinner ? had dinner as a guest (after inviting himself !) slept in the spare bedroom and as mrs Gemmell was cooking breakfast for them both finally nailed him as a forest player --crikey what a fantastic bloke a true character and very hard to disagree with football wise .
For youngsters-- google him your be amazed -in equivilant terms he won back to back premiership titles and European cups with
forest[/QUOTE]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brilliant - love stories of when football was football me :clap2:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
just the one league title on the top flight

still amazing though

uote=the red pepper kid;7579629]cloughie wot a legend ! His record is amazing- in total 267 goals in 296 games, 204 in 222 for boro or put simply
3 in 9 season 55-56
40 in 44 season 56-57
42 in 42 season 57-58
I couldn't put his book down tales such as meeting archie gemmell in a pub to convince him to sign for forest -and when told ill have to sleep on it -clough said fine what is mrs gemmell cooking for dinner ? Had dinner as a guest (after inviting himself !) slept in the spare bedroom and as mrs gemmell was cooking breakfast for them both finally nailed him as a forest player --crikey what a fantastic bloke a true character and very hard to disagree with football wise .
For youngsters-- google him your be amazed -in equivilant terms he won back to back premiership titles and european cups with
forest
[/quote]

Won the league title with Derby in '72 though.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton

Won the league title with Derby in '72 though.[/QUOTE]

Very true!

I was think Forest only.

Should have been at least another european cup final, if not for a dodgy ref

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Disagree. Still a good story that made me laugh out loud regardless on how accurate it is.

In years to come will we not be able to smirk at Gazza wearing comedy boobs because he became and probably already was a piss head because some **** at the guardian tells us it's no laughing matter?

If I were Nigel Clough or any other member of the Clough family, I would be seriously thinking about suing Dean Saunders.

The difference here is that Gazza did wear comedy boobs and, from memory, was not necessarily drunk at the time. This story sounds like it is a complete fabrication from beginning to end. The only things that are true are where it happened and who was there. Clough was not drunk, conducted himself perfectly normally and was perfectly sensibly dressed.

If you want to laugh at it, you are not laughing at Brian Clough, you might be laughing at how sad it is that Dean Saunders feels it necessary to put together such a load of cr@p just to make a few quid......... particularly when he probably doesn't need to when he has plenty of other good stories to tell anyway, apparently.

It's no laughing matter because it looks like it isn't f$£%&*g true!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If I were Nigel Clough or any other member of the Clough family, I would be seriously thinking about suing Dean Saunders.

The difference here is that Gazza did wear comedy boobs and, from memory, was not necessarily drunk at the time. This story sounds like it is a complete fabrication from beginning to end. The only things that are true are where it happened and who was there. Clough was not drunk, conducted himself perfectly normally and was perfectly sensibly dressed.

If you want to laugh at it, you are not laughing at Brian Clough, you might be laughing at how sad it is that Dean Saunders feels it necessary to put together such a load of cr@p just to make a few quid......... particularly when he probably doesn't need to when he has plenty of other good stories to tell anyway, apparently.

It's no laughing matter because it looks like it isn't f$£%&*g true!

Bollocks, its a funny story. Sounds like there are only a handful of people who actually know what happened and the journo who wrote that piece isn't one of them. He doesn't even look old enough to have been around when Clough was managing to be fair. So as far as I'm concerned it's his word against Saunders. I'm sure Dean has tweeked said story to make it a better anecdote but in the same breath the journo is duty bound to his employers to make their product more sales and appealing to the disgusted of Tunbridge Wells types is what the Guardian is good at. You don't watch a stand up comedian and instantly check the validity of all of the jokes they tell....or maybe you do.

Is alcoholism funny? No it's not. Are drunk people funny...yes sometimes.

We all know Clough was a piss head but we also know he was a great character, a ****ing good manager and fantastic for the game of football. When I think of Clough I remember him for footballing reasons and not because he liked a peeve. If I were the member of the Clough family I'd be delighted that 12 years after his death his dad still has the ability make people smile.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

You can't libel a dead person. You can say whatever you like.

There are thousands of really funny stories about Cloughie so I'm not sure why Saunders would feel the need to invent one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have sympathies with [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] - yes it is a funny story - but I also sympathise with those who feel that its is poor to make up a story that makes the legend Clough seem like a buffoon. I know what its like to have comic stories made up about them, and it's not pleasant. A colleague of mine, some years ago, like to tell people that I 'had it off' with one of his staff, in his office. A total lie. It was in my office.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014

.I think to be honest his immediate family knew his character and personality were bigger than the city ground , and on his day he was capable of pretty outrageous behaviour and perky quotes, and if Dean did make it up it sounds close to the sort of stunt clough would pull to achieve his aim.
he used to water the pitch himself at night before a game until he fell asleep and flooded the penalty area ( 2 hours until he woke up )
And during a pitch invasion he chinned a forest fan running on , and rumour was on Monday morning live on BBC Trent radio said supporter apologised for making cloughie punch him and thanked him for helping him see the errors of his way.
He was larger than life and I would like to believe deans story was delivered with admiration not malice , one thing is sure the world is a duller place without him . R I P- B.C # RESPECT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here