Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands who were ridiculed for being unoriginal or shite, but years later sound brilliant

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, that was first commercial success but he attracted absolutely rave reviews for his first two albums - he certainly wasn't dismissed as shite. And BTR was before Tony Parsons joined NME. I remember him being on the front cover in autumn 1975, well before TP joined the paper. I remember thinking it was a bit over-the-top for someone who hadn't yet played a gig in the UK and who'd had no commercial success.

Yes, you're right about TP's time at NME, but Wiki states 'he wrote the first NME cover story about.....Bruce Springsteen'. My recollection was, I'd never heard of Springsteen till I read that article. And I was an avid muso. You are right that BS was a 'critics favourite' before then (this passed me by) but he was certainly dismissed by the record buying public. That put him on a (pre-BTR) par with the likes of Kevin Coyne, Graham Parker, and Johnny Guitar Watson, as far as I was concerned (I quite liked Coyne, but I preferred his later strange disco stuff like 'tell the truth' rather than the awkward Marjory Razor Blade era stuff. He was a drinker.) But I digress :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My Bloody Valentine were initially dismissed as muddled, derivative and shambolic.

Went on to make the greatest album of all time.

If I'd been around to hear the first David Bowie and Bob Dylan, albums I wouldn't have expected them to go on to do much.

The first Blur album didn't show much promise.
Nor Primal Scream's.

Or The Cocteau Twins

Agree with all that except MBV (I still find them messy and muddled) and Cocteau Twins (their early stuff is all exceptional, but they got a bit meh later on). Not sure that either were particularly successful, or even particularly well regarded (I appreciate somke people, like Mrs T, think MVB are super amazing, but by and large.....). Bowie, Dylan, Blur and Primal Scream, sure. (Albeit I adore DB's Decca releases - 'London Boys' and 'There is a happy land' are two of my absolute faves). Apologies, didn't want this to turn into 'I can't believe you like that/think that is shit' thread :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. Tony Parson was one of the droolers. Star Wars and Bruce Springsteen. The NME was all over it. However, Born to Run, the magical breathtaking record that made him, was not his first album. Fit for another thread - bands that suddenly went interstellar after their third or fourth release.....(Supertramp and Simple Minds are noteworthy in this regard). Unusual of me to disagree with [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] :lolol:

WTF are you talking about. Threatening pm sent.

Only joking ... attempting NSC passive aggressive.

:bowdown: respect to @HWT and music.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
(I quite liked Coyne, but I preferred his later strange disco stuff like 'tell the truth' rather than the awkward Marjory Razor Blade era stuff. He was a drinker.)

There's a name I'd forgotten. I really liked Marjory Razor Blade - I thought it was an astonishing album. I saw at Sussex Uni in the mid-70s and he spent a good part of the set rambling about how Derby County had gone downhill (I think drink had been taken). He belongs to another thread of under-rated talents.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
WTF are you talking about. Threatening pm sent.

Only joking ... attempting NSC passive aggressive.

:bowdown: respect to @HWT and music.

:lolol:

"I know an awful lot about music, but I don't know how to describe what I like" :rolleyes::cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a name I'd forgotten. I really liked Marjory Razor Blade - I thought it was an astonishing album. I saw at Sussex Uni in the mid-70s and he spent a good part of the set rambling about how Derby County had gone downhill (I think drink had been taken). He belongs to another thread of under-rated talents.

:lolol:

I find out of control auteurs a bit disturbing, to be honest. I thought the guy was struggling and my 15 year old self backed off.....

Then I heard Peter Hammill and all bets on nutters were off :lolol:

Saw him do this actually live ten or so years ago (May have mentioned this on another thread). As soon as the organ started up, and we realised what song he was playing, the bloke standing next to me said exactly the same thing as me: 'no fookin way'. Sorry for digressing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nybOQPzDbeU

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Talk Talk.

Initially written off as being Duran Duran wannabes but evolved into a majestic band who did their own thing by the time they released Spirit of Eden were a world apart.
Indeed EP what a fabulous album

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nick Kent, I belive. NME part time contributor and self proclaimed 'rock critic' back in the day.

Blimey, that's a bit harsh. Nick Kent was not only a full-time writer for NME, he's one of the few genuinely talented writers from the rock press. His appreciation of Nick Drake, written just after his death, is, in turn, moving and insightful - and made me want to listen to Drake. Kent was a superb writer - a wreck of a human being, by all accounts, but a superb writer.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here