Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chris Hughton - isn't he bombproof in any circumstances this season?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Chris Hughton is a great manager in the Championship....no doubt about that.

However, I just have a niggle that to keep doing the same thing in the Premier League (Newcastle..defensive football, Norwich....... defensive football) and expecting a different outcome is rather optimistic.

This is the problem, he doesn't seem to be learning this season

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm just imagining the likes of Gross, Izquierdo, Locadia and Propper in the Champ. Ridiculous. I'll stop now.

How many of our current squad would we realistically retain? Boro kept the core of their squad, including highly rated CB Ben Gibson (sound familiar?). I can’t imagine too many of our players would be in great demand, certainly not by PL teams. Keep the squad and smash the league.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
2009–2010 Newcastle United
2011–2012 Birmingham City
2012–2014 Norwich City
2014– Brighton & Hove Albion

I think that because Chris Hughton has, so far been with the us, the longest in his managerial career, shows that somebody DOES have confidence in his abilities.
Team CH all the way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
There is absolutely no doubt that CH is here next year. TB didn’t even sack Hyppia.

This. Tony Bloom just isn't a sacking chairman. IF we do end up being relegated at the end of the season, and l do mean IF, (there are still plenty of points up for grabs yet), then so be it. All I ask is that we have done everything we possibly could to stay up, and by and large l think we have done that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Chris Hughton is a great manager in the Championship....no doubt about that.

However, I just have a niggle that to keep doing the same thing in the Premier League (Newcastle..defensive football, Norwich....... defensive football) and expecting a different outcome is rather optimistic.
Oh for f*** sake, at least get your facts right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/12/hughton_sacking_shames_newcast.html

Ashley later acknowledged he had made a major mistake - not something self-made millionaire entrepreneurs often admit to!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Newcastle and Huddersfield who came up with us are doing very similarly to us and are on relatively poor runs after good starts. They have not sacked their managers. Promotees to the Premier League have it very difficult given the quality they face week in and week out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly think so, and rightly so - his position shouldn't be under any serious consideration.

I can't see him being under serious pressure until at the earliest about Oct/Nov this year if we were in the Championship and not challenging for promotion.
I'd go one further than that - I can't see him being in danger unless we're heading for League 1 around March or April next year.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The OP poses a good question/statement.

I actually think Bloom and Barber should tell Chris he absolutely will not be sacked and they should give him the confidence to be MORE confident and to lose some of his (seemingly) notorious cautious nature. Chris, please play Davy Propper further up the pitch. Here is a Brighton player that (somewhat out of necessity) was made Playmaker by the Dutch National side and rewarded them with three goals in two appearances. Here's a player who has a one in four goals record with PSV and who is about to be reunited with a player with whom he appeared to have a prolific scoring/assists relationship. And while we're at it - please try Baldock in the Premier League, in a two, where he might do some damage.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Cut and paste this from another thread by a Chelsea fan prior to last weekends game:

The Season So Far

Brighton and Hove Albion’s campaign has been more-or-less the best that could have been reasonably expected given their status as a newly promoted club with a modest budget, a Championship squad and a manager famous for being nice but ultimately not quite good enough at this level. They have battled gamely against the odds and they have snatched wins where possible, the undoubted highlight being the comprehensive 3-0 win away to West Ham. Now with one win in twelve, however it seems inevitable that Brighton will go down.

One senses that Brighton could have done more to help themselves by this point and that Chris Hughton’s famous cautiousness may have cost them more points than it’s won them. A 5-1 home defeat against Liverpool underscored just how far away the Seagulls are from being a proper Premier League team, and the scars from that experience will take a while to heal. It seems their modus operandi is to show up, work really hard without the ball, and lose without doing much attacking anyway.

Worst of all is their home form: Brighton have won once at the Falmer Stadium since September, and they’ve played a rudderless Everton side, a goal-shy Southampton, a painfully average Stoke, a hapless Crystal Palace, and off-form Watford and Bournemouth sides in that time. It’s obvious they could live to regret not picking up points when they were most available.

The Season Ahead

First and foremost, Brighton need to find a regular source of goals and if they are to survive. With clear-cut chances at a premium in Hughton’s uber-defensive setup, a poacher of Glenn Murray’s calibre isn’t quite good enough, even if Murray has punched well above his weight again this season.

The wingers need to be liberated from defensive duties if they are to perform to their maximum ability in attack: Anthony Knockaert, for example, was routinely described as the best player in the Championship last season and was tipped to make an impact in the top flight, but, weighed down by defensive duties, he only has two goals and one assist so far this season – one fewer goal-and-assist than he does yellow cards.

In the next month or so, Brighton’s fixture list could be far worse, and it is possible that they take the points to secure survival here. If Hughton can simply let his attacking players play and trust them to deliver the goods, and his defence can hold strong, they should pick up the points they possibly should have gotten earlier in the season. If Hughton keeps the handbrake on, however, one suspects Brighton will end up going down without having put up a real fight.
Tactics

Chris Hughton is a highly respected coach, well regarded throughout the British coaching community and by the journalists who’ve gotten to know him well over the years. He’s undoubtedly a good manager at Championship level and any club looking to achieve promotion to the Premier League should at least strongly consider hiring him. That said, once Hughton has achieved promotion his tactics have tended to become overly conservative, and his sides have been inevitably hindered more than helped by such extreme caution.

He took Norwich City back down to the Championship without ever really giving his players a chance to keep themselves up and Newcastle United brought in Alan Pardew to stop the same happening to them, and it’s probable that he’ll once again do the same with Brighton. A territorially sensible, non-aggressive and rigid 4-4-1-1 with carefully balanced long-ball counter-attacks isn’t the worst thing in the world, but there’s a fundamental imbalance between defence and attack in this team, which in this era often means increasing the odds of defeat – and that’s just bad management.
Strengths

Only Man Utd have conceded fewer goals from open play this season, but when this comes at a cost of making the team completely useless in attack it’s hardly something to write home about.

Anthony Knockaert will be really good in the Championship next season and the fee Brighton receive for breakout star and analytics community hero Pascal Groß will stand them in good stead for the next few years. Davy Pröpper and Shane Duffy are young enough to come back to the Premier League and make a proper go of it, should Brighton go down. Glenn Murray still knows where the goal is and has a happy knack of finding the net without having had a proper sniff of goal.
Weaknesses

To win games of football, generally speaking, a team has to actively try to win the game in the first place.

No Premier League team has played more football in its own final third, nor less in the opposition’s final third, than Brighton this season. Only three teams have taken fewer shots on goal and only one team has had fewer shots on target. Only two teams have attempted fewer dribbles, meaning Brighton’s only realistic route forward is long balls, making them very predictable and easy to dominate. Only Burnley have played more long passes this season and no team has been fouled less often, meaning they have very few chances to get defenders forward and mount assaults from set plays, an area of play in which they are actually rather effective.

At the other end, only two teams have allowed more shots on goal than Brighton this season (though many have faced more shots on target). No team has conceded more goals from set pieces. Only four teams have made fewer tackles and yet no team has been dribbled past more often. No team has scored more own goals.

It’s harsh to blame this all on Hughton and of course it’s true that his squad is very short on Premier League quality, especially in attack. We return to the case of Anthony Knockaert however, a player of whom big things were expected this season.

Knockaert was among the Championship’s most creative and effective attackers last year, and yet this year he’s playing as a defensive winger with little licence to show what he can do, performing considerably more defensive actions game (1.2 tackles, 0.6 interceptions and 0.7 fouls) than attacking ones (he has taken just 1.4 shots per game and created 1 chance per game). If Brighton end up going down, Hughton’s excessive caution will be as big a reason as their relative lack of quality.

Likely XIs

Brighton’s settled eleven should be expected here.

Chelsea will be short on bodies, on stamina and on rhythm after 120 midweek minutes against Norwich. This is Brighton’s only real hope of avoiding defeat.
Prediction

With such a gulf between him and the opposition, we should hope and expect that Eden Hazard is going to make short work of Brighton – provided Antonio Conte gives him the platform and the support to do so.

el punal

It's also the fact I cannot think of an available manager better suited to the job, if we were to go down.

God forgive if our Chris were to depart - then it would be a complete shitfest of these names as candidates, you know the usual suspects : Allardyce, Pulis, Warnock, Holloway, McLaren, Redknapp, Pardew, and then just add your own little favourite. :eek:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think there's a similarity with all 3 promoted clubs. We're all in a similar situation and none of the managers are under pressure. It's slightly different for established clubs when they go on a bad run because they have squads who are proven at this level

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I see little benefit in sacking the man that saved us relegation and brought us promotion. As others have said, Burnley kept hold if Dyche and look at them now. If/when we go down I think he’ll keep a good core of players and hopefully we’ll come back stronger.

But Burnley under Dyche don't display the negativity that CH does. They generally press the opponents and try to take the game to them.

We don't know whether the core of the squad will stay together if we are relegated. Some are sure to get offers from other PL clubs. Some may choose to retire. And we don't know which players have relegation clauses in their contracts. I'm far from confident that he will keep the squad together if we go down.

If we do get relegated, then CH should stay to get us back up again, and then we should be looking to make a change for someone whose style of play in the PL would be more attacking and adventurous.

There are too many examples of clubs being relegated from the PL and then going into freefall. I really hope we aren't one of them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
yes he is.......all the time he is starting march over the columbian i will doubt him but he has done enough to be safe if we go down ....no doubt.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
As has been said, if he's sacked and we still go down, who would you want to take us back up? Just imagine the rampage for his signature from majority of the championship clubs if he became available.

No best thing is to keep hold of him, he gets us back up and THEN if we're struggling in the Prem come October/November, he'll then have to go.

to keep us up this season is a massive ask and will be a monumental achievement if he succeeds simply because he is learning what players have stepped up to the mark and he knows who isn't good enough and will make changes in the summer according to where we finish. It is going to be a slow building progress which Tony said it will be to become an established premier league club and he will back Chris all the way

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If everything was equal CH would have been sacked by now for his failure to get the results required because how ever you look at it he is the man who is responsible for our bad run with his tactics or lack of and selections but he is safe because there is no viable alternative.
You wouldnt change the meat on your roast from chops to mince just for the sake of change. I expect him to still be in charge in The Championship next season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
God forgive if our Chris were to depart - then it would be a complete shitfest of these names as candidates, you know the usual suspects : Allardyce, Pulis, Warnock, Holloway, McLaren, Redknapp, Pardew, and then just add your own little favourite. :eek:

Who's my own little favourite?

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
His position shouldn't be under threat particularly as he would be the safe pair of hands that we would need if the worst happened, but he should be questioned for some of his decisions, like the bizarre substitutions and certain elements of his game plans.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
I think there's a similarity with all 3 promoted clubs. We're all in a similar situation and none of the managers are under pressure. It's slightly different for established clubs when they go on a bad run because they have squads who are proven at this level

I'd argue that Newcastle are a slightly different case as they are the "big club" that "should never have been relegated in the first place", but the lack of spending means that in relative terms Rafa is secure in his job as he has limited options and quality available to him. Were they to have injected 40 or even 30 million into the squad, Rafa would have been under huge pressure

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here