Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Penalty taker

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Let’s be honest, it wasn’t a particularly good penalty tonight.

Good enough, obviously, tonight.

Interesting though - I've often wondered what would really happen if takers just started punting it down the middle. Given that keepers almost always dive one way or the other - penalties down the middle must have a pretty high chance of scoring? How long would it take for keepers to start standing still?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Let’s be honest, it wasn’t a particularly good penalty tonight.

Good enough, obviously, tonight.

We don't take many good penalties. Most of them look weak and easy to save if the keeper guesses. I'd prefer someone who could place it in the bottom corner

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hard enough to go straight into the net with no chance for the keeper to re-adjust his movement.

Quite difficult to change direction when you're in mid-air :D Murray sidefooted it where he intended - it wasn't hit hard - I'm guessing he knew the keeper was diving, so it didn't need to be smacked.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Sky team complimented the way Murray took and dispatched it in their post match analysis, including the slight hesitation which tricked the goalie into committing early.

looking at the replay this morning that was my impression as well. Keeper moved and he put it where he stood. Would have been better with more power BUT he scored so was a good penalty and made the journey home much better,

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite difficult to change direction when you're in mid-air :D Murray sidefooted it where he intended - it wasn't hit hard - I'm guessing he knew the keeper was diving, so it didn't need to be smacked.

That’s exactly what the Sky team said in analysing it post match; they looked it in slo-mo from a few angles and complimented Murray. They spotted a slight hesitation that fooled the goalie into commiting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That’s exactly what the Sky team said in analysing it post match; they looked it in slo-mo from a few angles and complimented Murray. They spotted a slight hesitation that fooled the goalie into commiting.

Ah didn't see that......not had time to watch it back yet......any analysis of theirs ? Looked as though Ryan feignted slightly one way to make Ings go the other way, but as a result of the 'twitch' couldn't reach it........(and it was well placed anyway)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interesting though - I've often wondered what would really happen if takers just started punting it down the middle. Given that keepers almost always dive one way or the other - penalties down the middle must have a pretty high chance of scoring? How long would it take for keepers to start standing still?

Surprised keepers haven't already started employing that tactic to be honest.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
People obsess about Hemed being so amazing at pens compared to Glenn but fact is, in Glenn's second spell at the club this is the 3rd season and he has 2 misses to his name, the same amount of misses as Hemed. I don't know how many Hemed scored but i doubt Murray is far off now.

It is so rare to have someone who scores every pen in the modern day when keepers have detailed info on every player's technique.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The last one l can remember Glenn hitting with any real venom sailed over the bar gainst Burnley last season. He just isn't a smack it type player, that applies to nearly all of his outfield goals too. The vast majority being scored from inside the 18 yard box.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here