Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Bissouma a shining light. Ali needs to get fit, team were quite slow to support the attacks we had. Not sure about Barclay, Gyokeres showed some promise but needs to work on his final ball, Locadia getting better, Bernado much better tonight than against Watford.

Quality songs from the exiled North standers.

Result was fair, Southampton went all out for the win and it paid off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Been there done that, my lad is nearly 13 and was disappointed with the performance. I agree with him, but my opimions are based on what I've seen and read about the players. His is mostly ratings from a computer game. You will go through this phase I'm sure.

I'm used to shit football, it's the travel bit I struggle with. I want my football 200 yards from Hove station.
Without a load of half arsed jobsworths in the way.

I disagree. I think it's a good way to get the young kids involved, especially the pricing. In fact i saw plenty of young children there tonight in the east.

I took my 6 year old to his first proper game (His first game was when he was 4 and didn't really have an interest and wanted to go home after 30 mins) and he has left tonight wanting to get a season ticket tomorrow so he can watch another game. Unfortunately he is disappointed that he cant get one tomorrow and will have to wait a hole year (feels like a million miles away at 6) but I'm sure he is not the only kid tonight feeling like this.

These kids will be the heart of the club one day and probably their kids too.

Last edited:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Just home . Southamptton had a strong team out and deserved to pip us. Hughton could have made stronger subs at the end but not bothered. Bissouma will be a great player. Slightly disappointed with Aly but I guess it is early days and a huge jump. Kayal was strong. I still do not know about Locardia.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
dwayne is a WUM, and probably Palace. London Irish is a dick, and probably Palace. Best to just ignore them.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bissouma a shining light. Ali needs to get fit, team were quite slow to support the attacks we had. Not sure about Barclay, Gyokeres showed some promise but needs to work on his final ball, Locadia getting better, Bernado much better tonight than against Watford.

Quality songs from the exiled North standers.

Result was fair, Southampton went all out for the win and it paid off.

Exactly how it sounded on the radio. Bernado done well considering he has been used everywhere at the moment. Button sounded a bit awful. What did you make of him ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Exactly how it sounded on the radio. Bernado done well considering he has been used everywhere at the moment. Button sounded a bit awful. What did you make of him ?

He was ok apart from the mis-kick but at the same time I really wouldn’t want Ryan to get injured. He didn’t have that much to do really.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No fishing here, and no going OTT 'we're going down. crap either - but that's 2 out of 4 matches we've been very disappointing this season (and 3 out of 4 we haven't scored either). Today w were playing a very non-first-team back four - two under 23s, a LB at CB and our 3rd.choice LB. They held out though, right through until the very last few minutes. The six in front of them (3 of our big 2018 signings - £40M or so for the three of 'em, plus two regular, experienced first team players) could potentially be our starting front six in a league match if we get a couple of injuries/suspensions, and they didn't score - or get anywhere near it from what I've heard/read.

And that against Southampton, one of the teams we would expect to beat - at home at least - and pretty much must beat if we are to pick up the points we'll need this season. Not going doom and gloom or anything - we've been good in the other two matches, but yes, I am disappointed tonight. And as for all the people saying, yeh, we wanted to lose to go out of this competition ASAP...................................yeh right! I've heard that all before!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not sure if it's been asked yet but, must have been 1500 or more away fans there tonight. We'd have taken a few hundred (Bournemouth in cup) to their place.
So why so many?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If we'd lost 4-3, 2-1 or what ever, having made some form of attempt to attack, with intent, and scored a goal, even with a whole U23 or even U18 side, we'd have gone home happy. The club has a huge lack of attacking prowess from the top down. That concerns me.

No fishing here, and no going OTT 'we're going down. crap either - but that's 2 out of 4 matches we've been very disappointing this season (and 3 out of 4 we haven't scored either). Today w were playing a very non-first-team back four - two under 23s, a LB at CB and our 3rd.choice LB. They held out though, right through until the very last few minutes. The six in front of them (3 of our big 2018 signings - £40M or so for the three of 'em, plus two regular, experienced first team players) could potentially be our starting front six in a league match if we get a couple of injuries/suspensions, and they didn't score - or get anywhere near it from what I've heard/read.

And that against Southampton, one of the teams we would expect to beat - at home at least - and pretty much must beat if we are to pick up the points we'll need this season. Not going doom and gloom or anything - we've been good in the other two matches, but yes, I am disappointed tonight. And as for all the people saying, yeh, we wanted to lose to go out of this competition ASAP...................................yeh right! I've heard that all before!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
General observations from tonight are that I expected Saints to field a line-up that was considerably more experienced and with more proven Premier League performers and a lot more matches under their belt, and they did. We also have a few injuries and certainly couldn't risk another one in central defence. For those reasons alone I expected them to win, and the longer the second half went on, the more likely that looked. Decisive substitutions from Hughes with Redmond and Austin. Not a bad crowd, and a decent turnout from Southampton.

But certainly not too disheartened, there were some plusses and defeat doesn't really matter. Bissouma was awesome, the best player on the pitch from either side, a genuine box-to-box all-round midfielder who wins tackles, sets us on the attack, can run with it, and beat people. He is going to be special. Button was for the most part good with smart saves and tidy work,shame about a couple of silly mistakes. Was overall impressed with a totally makeshift back four, especially Collar and Barclay, and Bernardo did well at centre back. Gyokeres showed a bit of intent and ambition, finsl ball and decisions need work. Slightly disappointing night for AJ, touches didn't come off and didn't do much but early days and he'll get the pace of it soon enough. Locadia probably the big minus, he looked a lump. I came into this season certain that at least one of Locadia or Andone (ideally both) had to work. Looking increasingly like we need Andone fit and firing.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whatever the drivel posted on here I’m sure we can all admit that was a poor game of football, briefly lit up when Redmond came on at the end

No, I won't admit that.

I went tonight, and enjoyed the game apart from the last 5 mins. Bissouma was a joy to watch, Collar started off nervously but grew into the game, Gyorkes did quite well, Button made some fine saves, but also had a couple of howlers. Locadia wants to wait for the ball to come to him all the time. He has to work harder.
Kayal attacked quite a few times, and AJ had some good moments.
It did seem strange to me to have Groß ion front of the back 4 with Kayal in the hole, but Hughton knows more than me.
Barnardo & Barclay did surprisingly well as a central pairing.

Once Austin came on, he was always going to score, because he always does when he plays against us.

Onwards & upwards.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Been there done that, my lad is nearly 13 and was disappointed with the performance. I agree with him, but my opimions are based on what I've seen and read about the players. His is mostly ratings from a computer game. You will go through this phase I'm sure.

I'm used to shit football, it's the travel bit I struggle with. I want my football 200 yards from Hove station.
Without a load of half arsed jobsworths in the way.

My eldest son is 15 and a season ticket holder and we've been going together for quite a few years now, he was more happy about the 15pts he got for £6. My 14 year old daughter done a couple of seasons but she is more into her dance and drama so gave up her ticket so I've been there done that so to speak, not that's it's a competition.

I mearly speaking from the perspective of younger kids "getting the Albion buzz" and wanting to return.

I will agree on your last two paragraph tho, not Hove, Eastbourne. [emoji106]

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One thing I will say, and maybe perspective helps here. That was an Albion B team. With possible exceptions of Bissouma/Gross, it is highly unlikely anyone else will start against Fulham. And there was very little in it against a vastly more experienced Saints team. If that's our B team, we're okay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

!

We certainly had our chances. You can't compare the lack of Premier experience just because of a price tag.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Not sure if it's been asked yet but, must have been 1500 or more away fans there tonight. We'd have taken a few hundred (Bournemouth in cup) to their place.
So why so many?
2000 apparently and I agree it makes no sense at all. They surely don't get that level of support across the board? Maybe The Amex being a good ground has a small effect but can't be that much.

Loyalty Points...??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

So why so many?

2,000! Guess quite a few Londoners tho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here