Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Who was/is the best rock guitarist of all time ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh dear - a 'rock guitarist'? Do you mean the million notes an hour noodlers that try to out **** one another?

My personal choice of guitarists are two Irish Blokes, very different styles but both hugely talented.

Both of whom I have been privileged to see play.

One sadly no longer with us and the other literally stricken and may not be with us too much longer:

I give you Rory Gallagher and Vini Reilly.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:-

Vini Reilly
Birth name: Vincent Gerrard Reilly
Born: 4 August 1953 (age 64)
Origin: Higher Blackley, Manchester, England
Vincent "Vini" Gerard Reilly (born 4 August 1953) is an English musician and leader of the post-punk group The Durutti Column

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vini Reilly
Birth name: Vincent Gerrard Reilly
Born: 4 August 1953 (age 64)
Origin: Higher Blackley, Manchester, England
Vincent "Vini" Gerard Reilly (born 4 August 1953) is an English musician and leader of the post-punk group The Durutti Column.

Like many people in that part of Manchester he is a First Generation Irish immigrant, the clue being in his Surname... WTF has that got to do with his music of course?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
But we can forget what he thinks as he is a very average guitarist himself

Agreed. But even a shithouse musician can recognise an awesome one.

I'm no good a football but I can see that Messi can play.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Chuck Berry
B B King
Jimmy Page
Pete Townshend
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
George Harrison
Mike Campbell
Robbie Robertson
Andy Powell
Nils Lofgren
Joe Walsh
David Gilmour
Joe Perry

Really depends what you are after, the list could be totally different if the question was best guitar solo

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Like many people in that part of Manchester he is a First Generation Irish immigrant, the clue being in his Surname... WTF has that got to do with his music of course?

The Duritti Column...Jesus that takes me back.

I saw Ultravoxx when they were "ultrafoxx" with John Foxx supported by them in Eric's in Liverpool circa 1979.

Bloody hell.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Some good guitarists mentioned on here but the answer to your question is Hendrix.

My personal favorite is Peter Green and for an exceptional guitarist who hasn't had a mention yet, Frank Zappa

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Chuck Berry
B B King
Jimmy Page
Pete Townshend
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
George Harrison
Mike Campbell
Robbie Robertson
Andy Powell
Nils Lofgren
Joe Walsh
David Gilmour
Joe Perry

Really depends what you are after, the list could be totally different if the question was best guitar solo

Peter Green replaced Eric Clapton in John Lyalls Bluesbreakers and was widely agreed to piss all over him.

He then went on to found Fleetwood Mac, get them to be multi millionaires, left in 1970 and spent 10 years in loony bins with drug induced psychosis. Now THATS Rock and Roll.

He was also feted by BB King as the best white blues guitar he ever heard.

He also gave away all his money to war on want. Saying he wanted to give biafran famine victims a "cheese and tomato sandwich"

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I’d say Clapton. But Clapton said something about prince once when asked who the best was!

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Peter Green replaced Eric Clapton in John Lyalls Bluesbreakers and was widely agreed to piss all over him.

He then went on to found Fleetwood Mac, get them to be multi millionaires, left in 1970 and spent 10 years in loony bins with drug induced psychosis. Now THATS Rock and Roll.

He was also feted by BB King as the best white blues guitar he ever heard.

He also gave away all his money to war on want. Saying he wanted to give biafran famine victims a "cheese and tomato sandwich"

Didn’t BB say that about Eric too?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Some good guitarists mentioned on here but the answer to your question is Hendrix.

My personal favorite, Peter Green and for someone who hasn't been mentioned yet, Frank Zappa

Yes and Yes - in the latter case I am listening to Watermelon in Easter Hay as we speak...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I’d say Clapton. But Clapton said something about prince once when asked who the best was!

I've never thought Clapton was worth all the fuss personally.

There's something to be said for being first...but he wasn't ever the best.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Didn’t BB say that about Eric too?

His exact quote about Green was.

"He had the finest tone I EVER heard. He was the ONLY one who gave me the cold sweats"

He did say Clapton was good. But Clapton acknowledged Green was better.

He just burned out too fast for the young uns to remember him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We used to have a chap play at our pub in Guildford Clive Live (Clive Read) one day a couple of lads were hitching to the pub and got picked up by Eric Clapton and in conversation said they were going to our pub to listen to Clive. EC asked what kind of music does he play, the answer he got was the same as you but better. Today a busker was playing in Queens Sq Crawley and I said to my wife I wonder if he plays Parisienne Walkway if he does I will chuck some cash in his guitar case. No sooner said to her than he started playing it and was brilliant so I duly chucked in some money.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
His exact quote about Green was.

"He had the finest tone I EVER heard. He was the ONLY one who gave me the cold sweats"

He did say Clapton was good. But Clapton acknowledged Green was better.

He just burned out too fast for the young uns to remember him.

Just You Tubed Jumping at Shadows to remind myself. **** me what a talent, what a loss...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here