Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Tories hit new LOWS with the Windrush situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My MP put this on her Twitter the other day (and lets face it when it comes to the Commonwealth all she really, really likes and cares about is The Bahamas and its tax levels or lack of them :rolleyes:)

[tweet]984885564745961473[/tweet]

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nted-commonwealth-citizens-resident-in-the-uk

This information is for Commonwealth citizens who are long-term residents of the UK and do not have documents to demonstrate their status. It explains their position and what they need to do next.

This page is not a substitute for immigration advice. You can find out how to contact an immigration adviser on GOV.UK. If you have difficulty affording legal advice you may wish to contact Citizens Advice.

1. Legal background
Recent changes to the law mean that if you wish to work, rent property or have access to benefits and services in the UK then you will need documents to demonstrate your right to be in the UK. The government believes this is a proportionate measure to maintain effective immigration control.

We recognise that this is causing problems for some individuals who have lost documents over the long period of time they have been in the UK. We want to help you to obtain new documents and are asking you to come forward so we can do this.

We are clear that no one with the right to be here will be required to leave. There will be a solution available for your situation.

2. Check your status to remain in the UK
If you entered the UK before 1 January 1973 then the chances are you are entitled to live here permanently. Your status is only broken following a long period outside of the UK (2 years).

A “no-time limit” biometric residence permit is a card that shows that you are entitled to live here permanently, if you were given indefinite leave to remain. Upon confirmation of your status you may be eligible to apply for British citizenship. You can apply for a “no-time limit” biometric residence permit and upon confirmation of your status you may be eligible to apply for British citizenship.

Find out how to apply for a “no-time limit” biometric residence permit.

Find out about British citizenship.

If you entered the UK after 1 January 1973 then you are not likely to have automatic status here but you may have been granted leave to enter, leave to remain in the UK and then indefinite leave to enter or remain.

A “no-time limit” biometric residence permit is a card that shows that you are entitled to live here permanently, if you were given indefinite leave to remain. You can apply for a “no-time limit” biometric residence permit and upon confirmation of your status you may be eligible to apply for British citizenship.

Find out how to apply for a “no-time limit” biometric residence permit.

Find out about British citizenship.

If you entered the UK after 1 January 1973 and have been here for a number of years but are concerned that you have never applied to the Home Office, no one has ever applied on your behalf or your status has lapsed, then you may need to apply for leave to remain on the basis of your long residence and life here.

Find out how to apply to extend your stay in the UK.

3. Evidence to support your application
We understand that many people are unlikely to have documents that are over 40 years old but you should send as much information as possible in support of your application.

To help you build a picture of your life in the UK, think about:

where you went to school
where you might have studied
where you have worked
whether you have family here
where you have lived while in the UK
Documents that can help support your application:

exam certificates
employment records
your National Insurance number
birth and marriage certificates
bills and letters

You could have lived here for decades and now you've prove all of that. Evil.

JS101475774.jpg

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm no particular Fan of Theresa May but I doubt very much this is a situation she will allow to persist now it's out.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As I've said many times, I'm not a fan of Theresa May and I have no in-depth knowledge of this particular situation, but from the two articles linked to by our resident rabid-mouthed looney, I'm finding it difficult to find reasons to blame the present administration for this, at least completely.

The suggestion is that governments of both sides, for generations, have failed to take measures to ensure the security of this group of people. And, from The Guardian article, I can't say I see a whole lot wrong with this statement "Recent changes to the law mean that if you wish to work, rent property or have access to benefits and services in the UK then you will need documents to demonstrate your right to be in the UK."

Clearly, though, this has to be handled carefully and sympathetically. If in doubt, err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt. That seems to be where the failing is taking place.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - on this one, I'd suggest you go do your own research. Previous governments have failed to enshrine the rights of these people in law - that much is correct, and is a failing for both sides of politics. However - and this is a big one - it was Theresa May, as Home Secretary, who put through changes that have since seen the Home Office persecuting these people. The Home Office rules that Theresa May put in place effectively treat these people as "guilty until they prove their innocence" and the levels of proof they are requiring are thoroughly unreasonable. There's probably no one in the country - other than complete kleptomaniacs - who could provide the proof that the Home Office has been asking for.

This situation is a complete and utter disgrace, and the stain of what is happening now lies directly with Theresa May and the Tory government.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
My MP put this on her Twitter the other day (and lets face it when it comes to the Commonwealth all she really, really likes and cares about is The Bahamas and its tax levels or lack of them :rolleyes:)

[tweet]984885564745961473[/tweet]

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nted-commonwealth-citizens-resident-in-the-uk

You could have lived here for decades and now you've prove all of that. Evil.

View attachment 96084

****ing wankers. The ****ing lot of them. Insensitive, uncaring tossers. These ***** should be deported themselves. *****.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
seems it would fix alot of issues.

doesn't explain why its an issue now, this week, and for people who've been here for decades.

The press have only just got hold of it. In post #4, I quoted a scenario where a man was refused treatment for prostate cancer last November, because he couldn't prove he'd been here since a child.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - on this one, I'd suggest you go do your own research. Previous governments have failed to enshrine the rights of these people in law - that much is correct, and is a failing for both sides of politics. However - and this is a big one - it was Theresa May, as Home Secretary, who put through changes that have since seen the Home Office persecuting these people. The Home Office rules that Theresa May put in place effectively treat these people as "guilty until they prove their innocence" and the levels of proof they are requiring are thoroughly unreasonable. There's probably no one in the country - other than complete kleptomaniacs - who could provide the proof that the Home Office has been asking for.

This situation is a complete and utter disgrace, and the stain of what is happening now lies directly with Theresa May and the Tory government.

100% correct.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[TWEET]985831260516945920[/TWEET]

"Deported in error". Like that's somehow an acceptable thing.

Call me a triggered leftie SJW snowflake all you want, but I personally think if you're going to deport someone who's lived here for basically their entire life you ought to check the facts pretty damned thoroughly first.

Massive U-turn incoming

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/985835807222259713

[tweet]985835807222259713[/tweet]

Back pedalling furiously.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/985852045826646016

[tweet]985852045826646016[/tweet]

I hope the people already deported get massive compensation from our 'government'.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Quite why this horrible state of affairs is this week's cause for the screeching generation god alone knows.If you take the trouble to have a look at the history of this,it seems to have it's roots in the 1971 Immigration Act,when we had to start considering European immigration over Commonwealth.So really,May is just on the end of many years of political incompetence,and not worthy of hatred on this issue.

imm.png

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Back pedalling furiously.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/985852045826646016

[tweet]985852045826646016[/tweet]

I hope the people already deported get massive compensation from our 'government'.

Reactionary. They know that even the most hardened of little Englanders would raise eyebrows at this one.

The point is that it was going on unchecked and unreported. I can't fathom the distress that some elderly folk have gone through.

Compensation, yes, and justice...

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If it’s twisted communism to afford people that have lived here all their life citizenship after they have travelled to the UK at our behest, then pass me the hammer and sickle and drape me in a red flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At no point have I defended the Windrush deportations, caused by successive governments of different parties, I have just slagged off Ernest's hippocrasy (sp). But it seems that is too difficult for many numpties to understand.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[TWEET]985831260516945920[/TWEET]

"Deported in error". Like that's somehow an acceptable thing.

Call me a triggered leftie SJW snowflake all you want, but I personally think if you're going to deport someone who's lived here for basically their entire life you ought to check the facts pretty damned thoroughly first.

Quite why this horrible state of affairs is this week's cause for the screeching generation god alone knows.If you take the trouble to have a look at the history of this,it seems to have it's roots in the 1971 Immigration Act,when we had to start considering European immigration over Commonwealth.So really,May is just on the end of many years of political incompetence,and not worthy of hatred on this issue.

View attachment 96087

So poor Theresa May is just a victim of political incompetence and wasn't obliged or at fault in any way for producing this bill in October 2013. As Home Officer minister, you'd think she would know what her own department was doing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/immigration-bill

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It has taken David Lammy nearly twenty years as an MP to raise this-presume it is the start of a leadership campaign?Cynical,moi????

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So poor Theresa May is just a victim of political incompetence and wasn't obliged or at fault in any way for producing this bill in October 2013. As Home Officer minister, you'd think she would know what her own department was doing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/immigration-bill

I don't think any Government Minister of any political persuasion is ever fully aware of what the 'real Government' (civil service) is doing in their name.Despite a poster on here claiming he had never met a stupid politician,most of them seem thick as f**k.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It has taken David Lammy nearly twenty years as an MP to raise this-presume it is the start of a leadership campaign?Cynical,moi????

The change took place in 2013/14, and now the people being badly treated are being heard. Sometimes injustices take a couple of years to come to light. Do a search for biometric documents and tell me they were used 20 years ago.

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-a...ids-no-justice-no-peace-in-immigration-debate

Over the last few weeks one story after another has revealed how Caribbean immigrants to the UK in the 50s and 60s are suddenly being asked to prove their right to be here. The culture of 'papers please' has suddenly hit them, whenever they try to access medical treatment, or rent a property, or seek employment.

This included a 61 year-old woman who once worked in the Houses of Parliament serving food to MPs but later ended up being sent to Yarl's Wood detention centre.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Is this another 'the Tories are to blame for everything that is wrong with the UK, Europe and the World' threads? I love these.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't think any Government Minister of any political persuasion is ever fully aware of what the 'real Government' (civil service) is doing in their name.Despite a poster on here claiming he had never met a stupid politician,most of them seem thick as f**k.

Theresa May put forward the Immigration Act 2014 so it wasn't a case of the civil service doing something behind her back. I've even posted an official government link from October 2013 which shows this, but you choose to believe some civil servants managed to get an Act of Parliament voted in Westminster without TM knowing anything about it.

:facepalm:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
****ing disgusting reading about what some of these people have gone through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here