Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Do we really care, International football is side show these days

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do we really care, International football is side show these days

The World Cup can hardly be described as a "sideshow" now can it.

On the subject in hand, FIFA make no secret of the fact that they utterly despise us, so its no great surprise. Although as one of the few countries who have been dabbling with VARS at a high level, you'd have thought they'd want as many officials as possible at their tournament with experience of using it. Oh well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I really can’t think of a good English referee to be honest. There are a few who are just, well, ok, but no one remotely near the quality of Howard Webb.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Bit of a misleading thread title. The Ruskies haven't chosen a British ref because there wasn't one on Fifa's list for selection would be more accurate.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
A clear example of how interwoven sporting establishments and politics really are.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I daresay fifa were instructed to ban British refs by the same person that told them to award the world cup to them in the first place .

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I really can’t think of a good English referee to be honest. There are a few who are just, well, ok, but no one remotely near the quality of Howard Webb.

Even Webb was nothing special, at least not on the level of Collina (then to be perfectly honest, I cannot think of any comparable officials in the modern game).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even Webb was nothing special, at least not on the level of Collina (then to be perfectly honest, I cannot think of any comparable officials in the modern game).

I thought Webb was decent. You don't get to ref a World Cup Final without having something about you.

I read his book recently, and he gives massive, massive credit to one of the assistants in his team (Mike something, I think). He speaks well of the other one too, but one of them really was his right hand man in helping him with making decisions, and was apparently nearly always spot on with them, he trusted him implicitly to call it right on the offsides, and the cards if he needed help on deciding on a yellow or red.

On the flip side, it was interesting how his Euro 2008 tournament (I think) ended in the group stage, when one of his assistants failed to flag for an offside that resulted in a winning goal for someone. They knew when they saw the replays after the game, and had the post-match debrief with the assessors that their tournament was over, and the lino who made the duff call was in bits over it. Sure enough, his team were omitted from the retained list for the knockouts, and home they went.

Just showed that there are direct consequences for the officials too when they make shit decisions.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I thought Webb was decent. You don't get to ref a World Cup Final without having something about you.

I read his book recently, and he gives massive, massive credit to one of the assistants in his team (Mike something, I think). He speaks well of the other one too, but one of them really was his right hand man in helping him with making decisions, and was apparently nearly always spot on with them, he trusted him implicitly to call it right on the offsides, and the cards if he needed help on deciding on a yellow or read.

On the flip side, it was interesting how his Euro 2012 tournament ended in the group stage, when one of his assistants failed to flag for an offside that resulted in a winning goal for someone. They knew when they saw the replays after the game, and had the post-match debrief with the assessors that their tournament was over, and the lino who made the duff call was in bits over it. Sure enough, his team were omitted from the retained list for the knockouts, and home they went.

Just showed that there are direct consequences for the officials too when they make shit decisions.

Yes, Mike Mullarkey and Darren Cann. They were a good team, you're right there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
VAR at the world cup is going to be a total car crash.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, Mike Mullarkey and Darren Cann. They were a good team, you're right there.

Mullarkey, thats the one.

Webb was horrified about the 2010 WCF, after he saw it back, when he didn't send De Jong off.

4118A79400000578-0-image-a-46_1496586276158.jpg

Yellow card ??! :lolol:
I think VARS would've sorted that one out, to be fair.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The more I contemplate Putin nobbling the VAR, the more I think there is money to be made betting on Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here