Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Dislike a minutes applause entirely, in my view if we are to pay our respects to those that are no longer with us, it should be a minutes silence. During the minutes silence it should be a period of silent reflection with heads bowed and caps/hats removed.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Why don't we all just clap ourselves prior to ko then when we pop off we have had our clap in advance:moo:

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Don't Southampton have an 'All Saints day' where they remember all supporters who have died that year?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably too many to be mentioned and have their photo displayed on the big screen for 1 game. So the first one to remember those that have gone since end of season and the 2nd for those since Christmas.

Right-o.

Maybe we should have a small chapel we can wheel out onto the centre circle on these occasions, with an official club vicar to conduct a brief service of remembrance. Then we all hold hands and sing Kum-Ba-Yah, and go off into the concourses to light candles and weave daisy-chains into our hair.

At some point, during the Amex Remembrance Day Service, we might even get to watch a game of football.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
No clapping it's claptrap. OK one big clap for all the deceased and those that will one day be deceased, get it over and done with.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I can't abide the whole minutes applause or silence at the football. Football is a release from the daily grind of work, family issues or any other ailments or worries one has. Nice as the sentiment is its not in keeping with the reasons we go and doesn't help the atmosphere either. This is not to mention the whole issue around silences being observed whether that be crowds coming in and not realising or the odd bell cheese.

At the risk of sacrilege, I'm also a bit wary of where the Knockeart goal celebrations are going. An understated point to the sky I get but the picture thing was a bit OTT for my tastes. Whilst I understand AK is grieving and he needs to let it out, I'm not sure his outpouring helps himself. By that I mean people like the QPR twitter bell cheese. Given the stupidity of some footballers, I can see someone, somewhere mouthing off to get a reaction and would probably be the centre piece of some dinosaur managers team talk about winding up the opposition. Let's hope people have more credit than I am giving.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can't abide the whole minutes applause or silence at the football. Football is a release from the daily grind of work, family issues or any other ailments or worries one has. Nice as the sentiment is its not in keeping with the reasons we go and doesn't help the atmosphere either. This is not to mention the whole issue around silences being observed whether that be crowds coming in and not realising or the odd bell cheese.

At the risk of sacrilege, I'm also a bit wary of where the Knockeart goal celebrations are going. An understated point to the sky I get but the picture thing was a bit OTT for my tastes. Whilst I understand AK is grieving and he needs to let it out, I'm not sure his outpouring helps himself. By that I mean people like the QPR twitter bell cheese. Given the stupidity of some footballers, I can see someone, somewhere mouthing off to get a reaction and would probably be the centre piece of some dinosaur managers team talk about winding up the opposition. Let's hope people have more credit than I am giving.

I'm really hoping Knocky is done with it now....he said 'first home goal' etc after the QPR game so presumably no more pictures being kissed etc, although I wouldn't rule out a shirt-off tattoo revealing celebration for his next goal. Fully expect him to keep pointing to the sky though, and dedicating every goal, dribble or win to Daddy when asked. God knows what he is going to say or do if we get promoted.

Poor bloke was obviously very close to his dad but he really needs to take it private now. Sure he'll be getting decent advice from those around him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Right-o.

Maybe we should have a small chapel we can wheel out onto the centre circle on these occasions, with an official club vicar to conduct a brief service of remembrance. Then we all hold hands and sing Kum-Ba-Yah, and go off into the concourses to light candles and weave daisy-chains into our hair.

At some point, during the Amex Remembrance Day Service, we might even get to watch a game of football.

We are only talking 2 mins twice a season surely we can afford that

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Not sure if this has already been said, or if it is implicit in some responses. But -

If we do have scheduled applause to recognise something, shouldn't it be before the game only. It is really strange when the crowd all start clapping at a prearranged time in the middle of play. The players seem almost to slow down, unsure whether to play on. And if they kept going and play was exciting or a goal was scored, what then would happen to solemn and polite clapping ...?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disagree BG. We go to watch football. Remember those who have gone some other place or time. It's emotional rubbish.

So do I but I can afford to spare a minute for thought on 2 occasions per season as I am sure many would remembering their friends and family who they may have attended matches with. I would rather that than as exists now when we all stand up in the 65th minute and applause because that is how old the person was or 28th cos that is the date they died.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm really hoping Knocky is done with it now....he said 'first home goal' etc after the QPR game so presumably no more pictures being kissed etc, although I wouldn't rule out a shirt-off tattoo revealing celebration for his next goal. Fully expect him to keep pointing to the sky though, and dedicating every goal, dribble or win to Daddy when asked. God knows what he is going to say or do if we get promoted.

Poor bloke was obviously very close to his dad but he really needs to take it private now. Sure he'll be getting decent advice from those around him.

He tried kicking the ball up to heaven at Fulham, when it would have been easier to hit the back of the net. I'm sure he'll settle down but hope to see a number of little points to the sky by him over the rest of the season.
I'm more worried every time he celebrates one of our goals by sliding on his knees. Those Knocky knees are valuable.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Go to church - what's wrong with church?!! That's where traditionally people get remembered :) Not FOOTBALL grounds!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He tried kicking the ball up to heaven at Fulham, when it would have been easier to hit the back of the net. I'm sure he'll settle down but hope to see a number of little points to the sky by him over the rest of the season.
I'm more worried every time he celebrates one of our goals by sliding on his knees. Those Knocky knees are valuable.

It's a bigger worry that the kids copy him on the local recs. They're going to get shredded by broken glass or covered in dogshit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think this tribute business has become more widespread since the "minute's applause" thing surfaced. A minute's silence was always so formal, it wasn't appropriate in many cases. Though even that was starting to become a bit OTT. I've said it before, but the traditional silence used to be held- appropriately- for:

- Armistice Day
- deaths of nationally significant figures (e.g. the Queen Mother, whatever your opinion on her, Prime Ministers etc)
- deaths of ex Albion players, staff or well known supporters
- deaths of other persons of local or regional significance

The one that did rather grind my gears at the time was when they held a silence in memory of Ken Bigley when we played at Withdean. A bloke from Liverpool who was held hostage and killed somewhere in the Middle East (I think). It was terribly sad for his family and friends, sure. I'd no idea at the time whether he was a football fan, but even if not, it might not have been unreasonable for one or both of his main local clubs to have paid tribute perhaps. But a football club in Sussex, playing a fellow fourth tier side in a League game? At all league games that weekend, in fact? That was just bizarre.

The problem the Albion have now is, where do they stop? People are always going to die, and they've paid remarkable respects to so many now, I'm not sure what happens when they say no to somebody's grieving family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here