Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Funny man. Enjoyed his commentary at the JHC's
Rip.:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Ah.. no.

I knew Pete when he was very young, at school, where he was a couple of years behind me, He joined a local paper in Shoreham, and we’d talk about fetes and fairs, births, deaths and marriages. He was determined to get on. I played my last ever game of football with him. I passed, he scored; my leg was broken.
I met him years later at one of the BHACHS auctions at Withdean, fat chewed and laughs, and promises to meet never fulfilled.

I saw him in an interview with Brian Clough on the telly, and was pleased and unsurprised at how he was doing. Then, there he was as a brilliant football commentator.

An irregular friendship..? Certainly. But those of you who knew him will know that he was knowledgeable, approachable, friendly, witty.....likeable.

I haven’t seen him for several years. Wish that that opportunity had happened.

RIP, Peter.

And thank you, Young Man.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Very sad news.
Used to see him in the Press Box at the Amex but never got the chance to say hello. Many moons ago, when he was sports producer at Radio Brighton, I went into the studio a few times to help out on the saturday afternoon show. He once gave me the job of getting all the rugby results, which meant ringing noisy clubhouses and trying to find someone coherent enough to know what had happened that afternoon. ( Nightmare ) He was never flustered and stayed calm and in control until the show ended at 6.00pm.
He honed and developed his after dinner act around the cricket, football and rugby clubs of Sussex in the 70's and he was a superb mimic. He was topical and would take off the likes of Tony Greig and Tony Buss to great effect. That part of his life really took off when he started to team up with Bob ' the Cat ' Beavan. Someone told me that Peter had once been a Redcoat at Butlins and had developed a love for entertaining then but it is years since I last heard that story and it would need to be confirmed.
To a fellow Albion fan.
R.I.P.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Never had the pleasure of actually meeting him, but as is so often the way I felt I 'knew' him through his broadcasts and his writing.

Very sad news; a great loss to our Albion family, but of course a much greater loss to his real family.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like Brovion, never had the pleasure of meeting Peter but obviously knew of him through his work and his Albion affiliations. In today's world where social media is very harsh about commentators he'd have passed the test with flying colours, underrated and understated, and Football Italia was for me the start of the UK football fans ditching the parochialism and starting to look a bit further afield.

I did spend some time with Peter's son Ian who was and I think still is in the sport TV production business, thoughts with him and the rest of the family. RIP.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
A good old friend with a great talent - an outstanding performer but a very private and quiet mate away from the spotlight. Easy to drop back into friendly discussion even after not seeing him for a few years. Sad day today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never cared much for other European Leagues
Even with Messi and Ronaldo, don't think I have ever watched a full 90 minute Spanish League game
However used to love Football Italia with Gascoigne, Richardson and Brackley
Didn't miss an episode and would record if not indoors on a Sunday afternoon
Sleep well

I forgot that he did the Italia football coverage for C4 too. Very happy memories .... Van Basten, Baresi and all that.

I'm sure the Albion will do something classy for Peter at a coming home match.

Echo this.

If you've not seen it, try to watch the BT Sport Films recent production, 'Golazo' about all things Football Italia, hosted by James Richardson and featuring Brackers heavily. Excellent, nostalgic stuff.

Brackers was terrific. One of a kind. Like others, I had no idea he was as young as that, until this sad announcement.

RIP

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Echo this.

If you've not seen it, try to watch the BT Sport Films recent production, 'Golazo' about all things Football Italia, hosted by James Richardson and featuring Brackers heavily. Excellent, nostalgic stuff.

Brackers was terrific. One of a kind. Like others, I had no idea he was as young as that, until this sad announcement.

RIP

I saw that documentary earlier in the year - even before watching it I could tell you off the top of my head that the first game C4 showed was Sampdoria v Lazio and who the commentator was. As my Dad didn't succumb to getting Sky until late 1993, as a 14 year old I was instantly hooked on Football Italia in 1992 when The Premier League started and live English top flight football went off free to air TV. I even remember posting off for a free C4 fixture poster and filling in all the results that first season too. I decided to become a glory hunting armchair AC Milan fan and they kindly won The Serie A title that season. Happy days and Peter Brackley was the voice of it all. Very sad to hear of his passing. RIP.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A very sad loss indeed.

I remember him from when I was a kid and used to be on a show on Radio Brighton on a Saturday morning. A few times I was sat with him in the newsroom when he was doing his sports report. A thoroughly nice chap.

Condolences to his family.

RIP Brackers

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
THAT voice. Wow.

I didn't even realise he was a fan (apologies). For me, he is the voice the being told to "go out and get some fresh air" by mother whilst I was either watching Football Italia or playing Pro Evo.

RIP.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
How sad,RIP.He was great on Central.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
FROM THE ALBION ROAR: PETER BRACKLEY - OUR TRIBUTE

We were, of course, truly saddened to hear of the death supreme commentator, raconteur, writer, broadcaster, mimic - and fellow Albion fan - Peter Brackley.

Peter, a product of the excellent BBC local radio system in the early 1970s, was the consummate professional, always ready, always asking intelligent questions, even when - as a 21 year-old - he got to interview an irascible Brian Clough while the latter was at the Albion. This encounter is hilariously re-told in Spencer Vignes’ new book ‘Bloody Southerners’ - out this week.

He worked for ITV on several major tournaments - World Cups, European Championships - delivering his unique, measured commentary, excited at the right times, outraged at others, before telling a pearl of a one-liner in order to get himself and everyone else back to normality, lest he be too hysterical (as others could be) behind the mic.

He was best known to millions as the voice of Football Italia on Channel 4 in the 1990s. Such was his witty, yet genuinely enthusiastic style, his became THE voice of Sunday afternoons. His partnerships with a host of sidekicks - Ray Wilkins, Luther Blissett, Trevor Francis and more besides - were of genuine bonhomie, gentle tickling (referring on air to an injured Wilkins as ‘Hopalong’), and total professionalism.

He was also the voice of the bedroom. The spotty teenage adolescent bedroom, that is, for anyone who played Pro Evolution Soccer without ever acknowledging sunrise and sunset. Such was his presence (maybe even his omnipresence), he told us he had to tell people he wasn’t really there inside their machine. He’d, like, you know, pre-recorded everything…

His mimicry was also much in demand. Hilarious on the after-dinner circuit, Brian Clough, Jimmy Greaves, Brian Butler and many more were all in his sights, as well as having an arsenal of bespoke characters to fill out yet another story.

But it was when he ‘came home’ that we really got to appreciate him.

He worked as a voiceover man for the Albion, covering highlights of the Under 23s and the Women’s teams, hosted many events for club and supporters alike, and performed an unbroadcastable routine at an Albion End of Season Awards dinner.

Peter was also generous with his time behind the mic for charity causes too. The Julie Hodder Cup is an annual wheelchair tournament, organised by our good friend Steve Darby on behalf of Albion In The Community and Chailey Heritage, and takes place at Brighton University Sports Hall every summer (seriously, Steve - an indoor tournament in July…?). Teams from the Albion, AITC, American Express and others raise funds for the privilege of spending the day playing wheelchair and powerchair football, usually to get clattered by Danny Cullip.

A great time is had by all, made so much better with Peter’s ongoing monologue to the action unfolding in front of him - occasionally assisted by Darby, Cullip Guy Butters or Gary O’Reilly.

Each time, no-one was spared Peter’s leg-pulling. When I turned up part way through the day, Peter would clock me coming in… “Ah, glad to see Alan Wares from The Albion Roar has made it. It’s an excellent radio show, and one for all Albion fans if you want to listen. Alan tells me he has great plans and lofty ambitions for the show. Indeed, he’s currently in negotiations for a second listener to come in on loan…”.

And so it was in August 2014 that we finally managed to snare Peter into coming on to The Albion Roar. He’d always said ’yes’ to doing it, but it was getting our diaries aligned which was the issue. Needless to say Peter was superb. The stories flowed, the impressions were brought out of the cupboard once more, and one-liners were fired off staccato-fashion.

Peter was genuinely enthusiastic about the show, and offered Ady and I some invaluable advice and experience. His support was much appreciated. He’d always wanted to come back, especially with his double-act partner, Radio 4’s Garry Richardson, but we never could get it together. In the end, the Roar’s loss.

And for those who were there, who can forget his excellent 'Goldstone Days' show at the Theatre Royal in February 2017...? Peter had managed to corral an impressive roster of Albion alumni on to the stage that night, and his monologues as a spiky, miserable caretaker were outstanding, causing the legendary Peter Ward to corpse on stage - even after they had rehearsed their routine so diligently. A brilliant night, all written and conceived by Peter.

I last saw Brackers in the West Stand Upper earlier this season. I was a little surprised, especially as he had walked up the stairs. He was in good spirits and it was great to see him. We had a brief chat, and we wished each other well as we went in to watch the game.

Every time I met him, Peter made me feel like a friend, and these - more so than Football Italia or Saint & Greavsie - are the memories I will take with me. Thank you, Peter for your kindness, your insights, your generosity of spirit and, of course, the many, many laughs. May your kind soul rest in peace.

And so, for your delectation, and as our heartfelt tribute, here is Peter Brackley, entertaining us live on The Albion Roar from four years ago.

https://audioboom.com/posts/7045882-the-albion-roar-with-peter-brackley

Enjoy.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A celebration of Peter's life will take place at 11.40am on Wednesday 24th October at Worthing Crematorium, Horsham Road, Findon, West Sussex BN14 0RG

Family flowers only by request but donations in Peter's memory can be sent to either AITC, Parkinson's UK or The British Heart Foundation c/o Ian Hart Funeral Service Ltd, 92-94 Broadwater Street West, Worthing, West Sussex BN14 9DE.
You can donate on line by going to the website ianhart.org and clicking on the much loved page.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here