Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gary Lineker's extended interview with Chris Hughton

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I bet players like CH got pretty 'bored' of thousands of people comparing him to an animal as they abused him from the stands week in week out.
Wasn't so long ago one of NSC's finest was questioning the experiences of black players right here.
Plenty of work to be done, whether it bores people or not.

We are incredibly lucky to have a manager of such character.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Your post above totally astounds me.

You say the candidates might not be there - .

Actually the total opposite is true. Potentially good black managers give up trying because their paths are blocked. They are out there alright

You say that black managers could then potentially get jobs they are not qualified for -

Actually too many non black managers get jobs without proper credentials because Boardrooms will not open their minds to giving BME managers a shot at some jobs

The beginning of your post started out so well and then descended into the realms of the Dave Whelan interview when he tried to defend Malky Mackay - Quite sad really

Ahem.. please dismount high horse. Thanks. I had a bad feeling the cavalry would arrive after I was trying to reason why something might be happening.. :down:

I was asking questions, not making statements. There's a BIG difference there.

If you say there are numbers of black management candidates out there who are being blocked from management careers purely because of skin colour, and this is a known fact (not an assumption - and you clearly know this, as your tone implies) - then yes, a serious problem exists.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Your post above totally astounds me.

You say the candidates might not be there

No he didn't he asked a question -

"Are there literally hundreds of black ex-players wanting to go into management and they're being stone-walled because of their colour?"

Your answer is yes there are, so why not just answer? - no need to shout at him. It's a reasonable question - we, as fans, know about BAME managers in the PL and EFL (and yes, it's not very many at all, nobody's denying that) - what we don't have any detailed information about is failed job applications, and also we don't often know, when a player retires, what their plans and ambitions for their futures are; after all, these days many top players (regardless of race) can retire never needing to work ever again. Or they can go into punditry.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not entirely sure I'm getting 'titsy' - and for the record I'm firmly on the side of CH when there's genuinely an issue. He clearly used to suffer mindless abuse from scumbag 'supporters' when he was a player and nobody should have to suffer that, or accept it. That, to me, is something which belongs with Bernard Manning and the 1970's and should never return. End of.

What I questioned was purely the fact that is there a possibility that black players (and non-players) may not want to get into management in significant numbers. Are there literally hundreds of black ex-players wanting to go into management and they're being stone-walled because of their colour? Are worse candidates for the job getting the job because they're white? If so, that's wrong of the highest order and should be addressed immediately, obviously.

If that's not the case, are we barking up the wrong tree because the potential candidates simply aren't there - hence a wrongly perceived imbalance in numbers of black managers and coaches in the UK? Then, is there a possibility that black coaches and managers with less credentials getting the job because of their colour, thus making a mockery of what is trying to be achieved?

It was just a sensible, logical question which I've tried to ask in an inoffensive manner. It's not an attack on BAME, I assure you. Far from it.

I doubt there are hundreds, but there is such an imbalance in the numbers of white vs BAME managers (compared to players) there does appear to be an issue. With people like CH being successful and creating greater awareness it’ll help this get addressed - there must be a vastly increased number of BAME players in the English game now, sure this will eventually feed through into more taking managerial posts.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
......but there is such an imbalance in the numbers of white vs BAME managers (compared to players) there does appear to be an issue. .

Hence my question. Is there definitely an issue, in 2018, when racism is thankfully becoming (or has become) a thing of the past in football? Are there black players trying to be managers, and racism is stopping them? I find it hard to believe personally, but maybe I'm wrong. I sincerely hope I am. I'm interested enough to ask the question, not just blindly wave banners for an issue which may not even be there at the moment. One thing which taps my brain though is that CH seems to think it's an issue, and as very intelligent and well informed man I don't think he'd raise an issue if it didn't exist...

If you don't reason, debate and question - you get nowhere. If it can't be talked about, people just harbour ill feeling - and that's where the rot starts. That's all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hence my question. Is there definitely an issue, in 2018, when racism is thankfully becoming (or has become) a thing of the past in football? Are there black players trying to be managers, and racism is stopping them? I find it hard to believe personally, but maybe I'm wrong. I sincerely hope I am. I'm interested enough to ask the question, not just blindly wave banners for an issue which may not even be there at the moment. One thing which taps my brain though is that CH seems to think it's an issue, and as very intelligent and well informed man I don't think he'd raise an issue if it didn't exist...

If you don't reason, debate and question - you get nowhere. If it can't be talked about, people just harbour ill feeling - and that's where the rot starts. That's all.

I know, I’m agreeing with you......what we don’t seem to know is the extent of the issue. What’s the ‘right’ number of BAME managers ?

We have the same issue in my industry - but with gender imbalance at senior levels. Firms are now actively targeting 50/50 ratios on boards etc. It’s leading to positive discrimination and often not the best candidate being chosen for a role.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No he didn't he asked a question -

"Are there literally hundreds of black ex-players wanting to go into management and they're being stone-walled because of their colour?"

Your answer is yes there are, so why not just answer? - no need to shout at him. It's a reasonable question - we, as fans, know about BAME managers in the PL and EFL (and yes, it's not very many at all, nobody's denying that) - what we don't have any detailed information about is failed job applications, and also we don't often know, when a player retires, what their plans and ambitions for their futures are; after all, these days many top players (regardless of race) can retire never needing to work ever again. Or they can go into punditry.

We don't even need to try and look behind the scenes and how many potential managers are applying for jobs in coaching or management. We only even need look at how many are actually captaining their clubs on the field of play.

Then look at the two highest level managers - Chris Hughton and Darren Moore.

Darren was only given the job at WBA when they were virtually relegated after they persisted with Pardew for about 20 matches without a win.

Then look at when Chris got the Newcastle job - When Keegan left they brought in Joe Kinnear who hadn't managed for about 15 years over Chris' head while he was coaching there. Then who did they turn to in the final 8 games to try to save them from the drop. Alan Shearer who had never managed and they would have given Shearer the job the next season to try and get them up if he hadn't been demanding a mega salary.

Darren Moore and Chris were never first choices, even though they were potentially better candidates for jobs.

There are other situations I could mention but not appropriate. It is happening very frequently and as I have said, it's a ''mindset'' in Boardrooms which needs to change. And the Boardroom mirrors society

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don’t agree with the criticism of Lineker and his questions. I thought it was a reasonably interesting interview about Chris and his career, his ideas and approach to football....facilitated by the interviewer. I also presume the target audience isn’t just Brighton fans.

Thanks for posting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have worked with quite a few players who I know have applied for many jobs so for me it isn't just supposition and hearsay

OK. For those of us not ITK it's still a fair question for us to ask. Nobody's denying that there are far fewer BAME managers than logic and statistics suggest there should be, but would still like to know more details of who and why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OK. For those of us not ITK it's still a fair question for us to ask. Nobody's denying that there are far fewer BAME managers than logic and statistics suggest there should be, but would still like to know more details of who and why.

Chris gave one “why”, stereotypes. I’m sure if you look around on the Internet you’ll find more discussion on the matter.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Back on topic a little, that is a tremendous interview and the precise answer to the short termism of some after a couple of bad results. Remain balanced, do the right things well and improve the club every season as a result, all without having to pay off a contract or regularly take a huge risk and cost with new mangerial recruitment.

I get as frustrated and any other Brighton fan with our away form from time to time but there is no doubt that CH is the right man for the job both now and in the long term. Look at where we are to where we were when he joined. It's like chalk and cheese.

Thanks Chris and here's to many more succesful years here :clap2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back on topic a little, that is a tremendous interview and the precise answer to the short termism of some after a couple of bad results. Remain balanced, do the right things well and improve the club every season as a result, all without having to pay off a contract or regularly take a huge risk and cost with new mangerial recruitment.

I get as frustrated and any other Brighton fan with our away form from time to time but there is no doubt that CH is the right man for the job both now and in the long term. Look at where we are to where we were when he joined. It's like chalk and cheese.

Thanks Chris and here's to many more succesful years here :clap2:

Word.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Very good interview. As a child I lived in Northolt, and I was in the same year and class as Steve Perryman (Eliotts Green Grammar school). I remember watching his two elder brothers, play in the school football team. Then later, Steve and how we all followed his progress when he started playing for Spurs. Hearing Chris, talking about Stevie P made me wonder where the last 45-50 years have gone! Made me feel quite sad!

I believe my cousin was also in Perryman's class! He still lives in Ruislip Road, Northolt!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just got around to watching the interview and I can't heap much more praise on the bloke that hasn't been said already.

A top bloke who clearly has a very good footballing brain. Knows what he is working with, how to get the best out of players and how to manage people. Seems very loyal too – I hope he sticks around for ages.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just got around to watching the interview and I can't heap much more praise on the bloke that hasn't been said already.

A top bloke who clearly has a very good footballing brain. Knows what he is working with, how to get the best out of players and how to manage people. Seems very loyal too – I hope he sticks around for ages.
Ian Holloway's interview blows Linekers out of the water.A proper interview

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here