Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Drowning In Plastic: BBC1 8.30-10pm This Evening

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Recording it, there was some stuff found washed up near Hayling Island today, nobody knows where it came from!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Hope you enjoy it when you watch it fella. Didn't see the news about Hayling Island but will have a look online.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It is truly amazing how we've fvucked up this 4.5 billion year old planet in the space of about 100 years.

:shootself:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Shocking, just mind blowing. Needs to stop, but it can’t stop when profits and growth drive the world’s economies.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DpKmjkYWsAAkbDR.jpg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That is a ****ing joke. Honestly, moronic. May as well come with a free wanker tattoo if purchasing one of those...

Peeled Potatoes in plastic packaging are called crisps. Sold in their billions. Apparently. :kiss:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Shocking, just mind blowing. Needs to stop, but it can’t stop when profits and growth drive the world’s economies.
It is going to take a native change in attitudes to create the necessary change.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This was supposed to quote the post with the oranges.

This is just insanity. The fact that these are a thing tells us we are lost as a species.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That is a ****ing joke. Honestly, moronic. May as well come with a free wanker tattoo if purchasing one of those...

Completely. My frustration is that all the conversation is about "recycling", rather than the use of ridiculous packaging in the first place.

Secondly, that issues like this are politicised then promoted as a "lifestyle" choice.

This is what governments are for. You only sort issues like this with legislation. Unnecessary packaging should be made illegal - end of. You just need an authority to say yes or no and a hotline to report it,

There was NEVER consumer pressure to peel an orange and place it in a plastic pot.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When there is a health scare, I can think for example the chemicals put in paint strippers, the products disappear and "the market" and people adapt very quickly.

Everyone knows that black plastic is a nightmare to recycle because of the techniques used to identify plastic in the recycling industry.

Simple. Just ban black plastic products. No-one will die, businesses will quickly learn to adapt. Just like Brexit.

All it takes is legislation.

Some things are obviously harder than others, but banning pre-cut fruit packaged in a plastic container because you have removed it's natural container ?

Easy, easy, easy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When there is a health scare, I can think for example the chemicals put in paint strippers, the products disappear and "the market" and people adapt very quickly.

Everyone knows that black plastic is a nightmare to recycle because of the techniques used to identify plastic in the recycling industry.

Simple. Just ban black plastic products. No-one will die, businesses will quickly learn to adapt. Just like Brexit.

All it takes is legislation.

Some things are obviously harder than others, but banning pre-cut fruit packaged in a plastic container because you have removed it's natural container ?

Easy, easy, easy.

hmmm. agree with what your suggesting in principle, using regulation or legislation. outright banning a particular coloured product seems heavy handed when there could be ways to modify the plastic so it could b detected.

i find this "black cant be seen" a bit dubious though. first of all because different councils apparently give different advice on recyclable or not. secondly seems to me unlikly that optical light is relied on to sort plastic that wouldnt tell different types of plastic apart. so there's something more technical here. black plastic is limited use recycled for anything other than black plastic, though as we seem to use a lot this shouldnt really be a problem (and also reason not to ban black plastic - what would you do with all the lower grade recycled stuff?). i wonder if the problem may be black plactic tends to be already recycled and lower grade? just sounds like something with a more technical reason than colour, either way a technical solution can be found.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two wastes of plastic that really annoy me; Every week I get two or three plastic bags (inside more plastic packaging!) asking me to donate old clothes, etc. Just leave a card with a number I can phone to ask for a bag if I've got anything to donate - and then actually make sure the bloody well collect it!
Secondly, pills. We used to buy our aspirins - and get any pills prescribed for us - in little bottles with a label saying take two, twice a day or whatever. Now they come in little boxes, with each pill individually packaged in foil and plastic - what a nonsense! It might be hard for governments to stop charities pushing plastic bags through my letter box, but they could change whatever legislation it is that says it's unsafe to give us our pills in little bottles (which I presume is the reason for the current practice of individually wrapped pills..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here