Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student who stabbed boyfriend may avoid jail as it would ‘damage her career’

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"An Oxford University student who stabbed her boyfriend with a bread knife may not go to jail because it could damage her prospects of a medical career, a court has heard.

Aspiring heart surgeon Lavinia Woodward, 24, punched and stabbed her boyfriend during an alcohol-and-drug-fuelled row at Christ Church College. She admitted unlawfully wounding the Cambridge University student, who she met on the dating app Tinder.

Judge Ian Pringle QC, sitting at Oxford crown court, said he would take an “exceptional” course and defer sentence for four months, hinting that Woodward will not be jailed because of her talent. “It seems to me that if this was a one-off, a complete one-off, to prevent this extraordinary able young lady from not following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to would be a sentence which would be too severe,” he said.

“What you did will never, I know, leave you, but it was pretty awful, and normally it would attract a custodial sentence, whether it is immediate or suspended,” he said.

Woodward, who lives in Milan, Italy, with her mother, stabbed her then-boyfriend in the leg after punching him in the face. She then hurled a laptop, glass and jam jar at him during the attack on 30 September last year, the court heard. She was in court to hear the judge’s comments.

The court was told that Christ Church would allow her to return in October because she “is that bright” and has had articles published in medical journals."

Might have to use that excuse more often :moo:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd kind of hope that stabbing your partner would only be a "one off". Did the judge fancy her ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm confused by this. The judge has said that although it ordinarily carries a prison sentence he doesn't want to impose one in case it harms her career but looking at the General Medical Council guidance, they look at it on a case by case basis and assess the seriousness and for any mitigating circumstances.

But the crime committed is exactly the same regardless of the sentence and the fact that the judge has reduced the sentence should be of little consequence because he's only mitigated it to help her career, there are no other mitigating reasons.

She's shown serious personality problems, anger issues and apparently also admitted to being a drug addict, something the GMC address specifically:

ileglf.jpg

I really don't see how reducing the sentence helps this woman's potential career in medicine in any way. She's well and truly messed it up.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I've got an A Level in Graphic Design, what level of felonious activity does this entitle me to before the book gets thrown at me?

Take a First Aid course-might double your chances.....

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got an A Level in Graphic Design, what level of felonious activity am I entitled to before the book gets thrown at me?

Probably nothing more offensive than a hard Paddington stare. If you can show evidence of a double-barrelled name then you could possibly upgrade that to flobbing a mungee*

*dunno how to spell it but it's what we called little bits of wet paper blown out of a bic pen, back in the 80s.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Outrageous .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Entitlement. Or entightlement.

She's not fit to be a medic. I teach them. You can smell the wrong uns.

The judge is a 'see you next Tuesday'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here