Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Think the equation might be different because of the height of the Isle of Wight.

The Isle of Wight can be seen from near the top of Southwick, and we're not very high up here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There was an extract about this yesterday on the BBC World News channel no less.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
I was in Brighton visiting family earlier in the week and saw it 'in the flesh' for the first time yesterday; only ventured as close as the Pier and it looked good from out there when the pod was halfway up or more but not so much when the pod was down - it's always just going to look like a big pole because that's what it is..!

Looks good lit up from the pictures on the thread.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The overall design of the i360 brings its own, intractable problem. While the curvy glass pod is actually quite attractive, it is relatively tiny: all that will be visible most of the time is an empty, ugly, grey pole that’s completely out of kilter with its surroundings. Looming over the seafront like some grotesque factory chimney, it speaks not of beauty, and pleasure, but of brutalism and lack of imagination.

Describing it as a vertical pier is laughable. A pier offers entertainment and pleasure, with fresh experiences to be discovered on every return visit. It’s hard to imagine people making repeated visits to the one-trick pony that is the i360.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m certainly no opponent of tall buildings per se. The CN Tower in Toronto, Seattle’s Space Needle and the Shard (to name but three) are all iconic structures that combine grace with stunning design. They invite wonderment, as well as endless photography.

Perhaps its location is half of the problem. The new 40-storey tower that is being constructed at the Marina, with its seductive, curved-edge design, will provide a stunning marker for the eastern end of our city. Perhaps the i360 would have been better placed here.

I fully accept that some people will find pleasure in gazing down on 180° of sea, plus another 180° of roofs. But somehow, it looks like our city’s planners have missed an opportunity to do something far, far better.

I like the Spinnaker at Portsmouth. It has a great shape, & unlike the Sussex coastline, there are interesting features to see.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can't see the point of having a bar for a 20 min ride, especially if it includes a queue and one person serving.

i360-008.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Take a walk on the Downs, the views are better, you can see much more, it's free, you get some exercise, you can experience something for yourself rather than experiencing someone else's vision while lining their pockets. And you don't have to queue at a bar with your back to the scenery. There's two blokes in that picture watching telly FFS!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The overall design of the i360 brings its own, intractable problem. While the curvy glass pod is actually quite attractive, it is relatively tiny: all that will be visible most of the time is an empty, ugly, grey pole that’s completely out of kilter with its surroundings. Looming over the seafront like some grotesque factory chimney, it speaks not of beauty, and pleasure, but of brutalism and lack of imagination.

Describing it as a vertical pier is laughable. A pier offers entertainment and pleasure, with fresh experiences to be discovered on every return visit. It’s hard to imagine people making repeated visits to the one-trick pony that is the i360.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m certainly no opponent of tall buildings per se. The CN Tower in Toronto, Seattle’s Space Needle and the Shard (to name but three) are all iconic structures that combine grace with stunning design. They invite wonderment, as well as endless photography.

Perhaps its location is half of the problem. The new 40-storey tower that is being constructed at the Marina, with its seductive, curved-edge design, will provide a stunning marker for the eastern end of our city. Perhaps the i360 would have been better placed here.

I fully accept that some people will find pleasure in gazing down on 180° of sea, plus another 180° of roofs. But somehow, it looks like our city’s planners have missed an opportunity to do something far, far better.

Very eloquantly put. My thoughts entirely. It is totally out of place in that part of Brighton and if it had to be built, then it would have been perfect among the other ugliness of the Marina.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Take a walk on the Downs, the views are better, you can see much more, it's free, you get some exercise, you can experience something for yourself rather than experiencing someone else's vision while lining their pockets. And you don't have to queue at a bar with your back to the scenery.
You don't have to queue at the bar on the i360 either.

There's two blokes in that picture watching telly FFS!
The ride hasn't started yet, they're on the ground.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You don't have to queue at the bar on the i360 either.

The ride hasn't started yet, they're on the ground.

I'll give you the second point but there are definitely people queuing / waiting to be served in the other pic. It takes 200 people. Even if only 20 of them wanted a drink they are going to have to wait I would think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll give you the second point but there are definitely people queuing / waiting to be served in the other pic.
Yes they are, but they don't have to get a drink. You were comparing it to the lack of drinks queues on the downs - presumably that's because people aren't getting a drink on the downs?

Although it looks like there's space for 200 people, I don't imagine there's space for 200 people to look out the side, which I'd have thought is that main point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes they are, but they don't have to get a drink. You were comparing it to the lack of drinks queues on the downs - presumably that's because people aren't getting a dyou'll on the downs?

Although it looks like there's space for 200 people, I don't imagine there's space for 200 people to look out the side, which I'd have thought is that main point.

I really wasn't implying people would be queuing for drinks on the downs. My point, which I think you know, is that it's a 20 min ride, potentially 200 people on board, if you want a drink you'll be stood with your back to the view , waiting.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Why do people even need to drink on a 20 minute ride, 30 minutes in the evening? I guess its a revenue thing for the i360 but are people really that desperate for alcohol. :shrug:

I have just read that you can pre-book your drinks with the purchase of your flight ticket. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here