Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Cheers, looking forward to it. Was thinking sub 30. I couldn't run 100 yrds 8 weeks ago (hadn't done much sport for the last 12 years), but not massively overweight. Quite proud of what's been achieved in such a short time, with help of my local running club.

I'd aim to get there about 8.30ish. You can park for free on the slip road that runs along the top of the park (enter via Preston Drove by the crossing) but it tends to get busy from about 8.45. Slow jog down to the café (follow the crowd) and listen to the instructions. Lots of clapping for newbies like you will make you feel welcome. Then drift over to the start line. Start near the back cos it's a good feeling over taking others but set off slowly, it's a long way. Carry a drink and try not to stop, but if you do you do and lots of people do have a little walk. Good luck and don't forget your bar code if you have registered. You can still run if you haven't registered but your result won't be recorded. The checking of results on the PR website and email/text, etc is addictive so get a bar code. Welcome to Parkrun!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've been on the NHS couch to 5k programme for the last 8 weeks. I'm tackling my first 5k tomorrow at preston park, any tips for preparation? What would be an ok time for over 40 yr old?

Don't go off too fast. Think of holding something back in reserve for a fast finish. Breathe yourself into a relaxed rhythm. Think that the slower you are this week you'll smash it next week. Enjoy it. Keep at it when you're not. Time is not important this week.
I've done almost 89 Parkruns and one of my most memorable was a 34" last week after a long lay off. Parkrun is special just enjoy the day.
Enjoy it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Rome didn't make things any better but Worthing did the damage. It's been really slow to get better and had a few false dawns which have set me back but now sticking to the cross trainer till things improve. I'm supposed to be running the Wealdon Way ultra on the 28th but may need a Russian coach supply the medication for that one.

I'll be ready for the Weakest Link. Think my A team inclusion was very generous to begin with. B or C will be better

Good luck hope to see you at weakest link. Shame your EGO isn't big enough for the A team. I had you down as sub 20 potential before injury and I saw you and mr banana having a time trial at the end of May for the A team. We can work out injuries and niggles nearer the date.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Wonder where [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] plays on the field. Has the build of a centre back but his speed could put him anywhere. Centre forward? Although he was probably put in goal before losing tons of weight through running.

I'm really not that quick, so I lack pace when it comes to football. Think Billy Paynter a few years back! I tend to play the Radostin Kishishev role more nowadays, simple football with plenty of sideways and backwards passing.

I'm planning on the Preston Park Park Run tomorrow and I'm interested to see what time I can achieve. I don't think I'll go under 19 but it could be close.

Went to Jog Shop yesterday and purchased some 'Skins" compression shorts more for recovery than to run in. Anyone got an opinion on compression kit? Any first hand experiences?

Good luck to all the Park Runners tomorrow, including the debutant. My advice is to purely enjoy your first run and try not to go off too quick which is much easier said than done.

My first one was back in August 2013 and I still remember how tough I found it as I hadn't run that quickly before.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been on the NHS couch to 5k programme for the last 8 weeks. I'm tackling my first 5k tomorrow at preston park, any tips for preparation? What would be an ok time for over 40 yr old?

Good luck chap, enjoy the day and don't be disappointed with whatever happens. The first one is the hardest!

Depending on what time I wake up, I'll be going somewhere for tomorrow but without pace. I'm shattered from a couple of days of hard training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm really not that quick, so I lack pace when it comes to football. Think Billy Paynter a few years back! I tend to play the Radostin Kishishev role more nowadays, simple football with plenty of sideways and backwards passing.

Shhh we're setting you up for David Burke to buy..................

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Slow finish time by Hove Parkrun winner today as the top boys went over to Worthing to sort them out. Probably pushed [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s teacher down the rankings. Up the Arena Casuals!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Slow finish time by Hove Parkrun winner today as the top boys went over to Worthing to sort them out. Probably pushed [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s teacher down the rankings. Up the Arena Casuals!

Too bloody right they did. And not just the boys either - one of their girls did me too. My time was identical to last week's (21:01) but dropped nearly 20 places. Having said that there was a brute of a wind. Luckily the Arena mob sent their youth team and no over 60s or doubtless I'd have lost my category placing too.

BTW the new Peacehaven parkrun starts next week and I intend to have a go.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Strange Park Run for me. No Garmin for the first half which meant my pacing was all over the shop. I got my watch from 1.59 miles in and averaged 6.27 per mile so I've worked out the first half of the run was bang on 6 minute mile pace 9:18 and the second half must have been about bang on 10 minutes. Finished in 19:18 but paced the race appallingly hence the slow last half.

Still my fastest time since last May so still progressing.

I'll have to see if that time gets me on the 'A' team or whether I'll have to put my self on the transfer list. I won't play in the stiffs!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Strange Park Run for me. No Garmin for the first half which meant my pacing was all over the shop. I got my watch from 1.59 miles in and averaged 6.27 per mile so I've worked out the first half of the run was bang on 6 minute mile pace 9:18 and the second half must have been about bang on 10 minutes. Finished in 19:18 but paced the race appallingly hence the slow last half.

Still my fastest time since last May so still progressing.

I'll have to see if that time gets me on the 'A' team or whether I'll have to put my self on the transfer list. I won't play in the stiffs!

The A team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] (19:18), [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055] Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. Person who runs 4th has to run the last leg immediately after without a rest. It's up to the team to select the order to obtain the fastest overall time possible.
We need three more times from the egos in the A team.
We need two more runners as well. One for the stiffs in team B of 20"-23" 5k pace. One for the C team of 24" and upwards pace for us super stiffs providing [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] gets permission. Still plenty of time.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Mr Blobby mentioned the Weakest Link to me in the week and I'd be interested in joining you. I'm in the 250 club down at Hove park and running at about 23.30 pace at the moment...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not going to run a proper time until the 17th June, the target race in Preston Park. I'm looking forward to the Weakest Link on the 21st, but realistically I won't know what state I'll be in. I might need to kick us off and then have a nice nap until the final leg!

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
The A team is [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] (19:18), [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055] Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]. Person who runs 4th has to run the last leg immediately after without a rest. It's up to the team to select the order to obtain the fastest overall time possible.
We need three more times from the egos in the A team.
We need two more runners as well. One for the stiffs in team B of 20"-23" 5k pace. One for the C team of 24" and upwards pace for us super stiffs providing [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] gets permission. Still plenty of time.

When is it?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mr Blobby mentioned the Weakest Link to me in the week and I'd be interested in joining you. I'm in the 250 club down at Hove park and running at about 23.30 pace at the moment...

Excellent. You're in with the non egos then. Possibly running first leg for team B as weakest runner or last leg for team C as strongest runner.

Just one more runner for 3 full teams or 5 more runners for 4 teams.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
7.30pm Wednesday 21 June. Hope you can make it. Team B slot waiting for you unless you've gone well inside sub 20 this year. You can then kick one of the egos out of the first team.

I'm around 21:40 at the min, but I hope to get quicker after various niggles.
I'm awaiting my off duty for that date I would love to do it, I will find out in the next week or so.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm around 21:40 at the min, but I hope to get quicker after various niggles.
I'm awaiting my off duty for that date I would love to do it, I will find out in the next week or so.

The B team place is yours on hold till the end of May (not Theresa the month). Hope it fits in with your off time. Let us know when you're a definite.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Kinel that was hard. Caught out slightly by the brutality of the course - Box Hill (at 25 miles), Reigate Hill and then a monster at 42 miles I wasn't expecting near Oxted. Overall though, decent run out and a lovely day on the North Downs. 51 miles clocked.

https://www.strava.com/activities/984840191/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1494709283

C*** is the first word that sprung to my mind. Great effort and hope you're enjoying these little, short runs this year. Excellent consistency on the pace graph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here