Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL 2016 NFL thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Theres bound to be....but personally I dont think any are worth really high picks this year tbh....Watson excepted maybe. I would rather we (the Browns) use both our 1st rounders on DL / OL - & then maybe look at a QB with our 2nd round pick. I still really like Patrick Mahomes II out of Texas Tech. Seen as a project right now by the experts, but the kid has the perfect size, and a cannon of an arm.

Mahomes is now being talked about as a possibility for the Texans picking at 1/25 and The Steelers have had him in for a visit today picking at 1/30. I doubt he's going to make it out of the first round now.

FWIW, if he's allowed to sit for a year or two, I think he's the best QB in the draft. Arm strength certainly isn't a worry - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/01/patrick-mahomes-unleashes-78-yard-throw-at-pro-day/

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Former Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez found dead in his prison cell

Seems rather bizarre timing as he has just been acquitted of the double murder.

Obviously, he was still facing life without chance of parole for the murder of Odin, so it didn't change his prospects at all, but even so, strange. Maybe the case gave him something to focus on, trying to clear his name of those additional two murders, and now it's over he has nothing.

Who knows? It's not really a mind I can get myself inside of and understand. Just a terrible waste of lives all round.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Love our 1st 3 picks! Garrett was always the obvious choice, but to get Peppers too should help out the defensive backfield a lot. Njoku is a big, strong athletic TE too, which will be a plus for our passing game as Barnidge is really the only quality TE we have. Cant wait to see what Rd 2 throws up!

Any Chicago fans on here? The look on the fans faces last night when Trubiskys name was read out said it all....priceless!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Love our 1st 3 picks! Garrett was always the obvious choice, but to get Peppers too should help out the defensive backfield a lot. Njoku is a big, strong athletic TE too, which will be a plus for our passing game as Barnidge is really the only quality TE we have. Cant wait to see what Rd 2 throws up!

Any Chicago fans on here? The look on the fans faces last night when Trubiskys name was read out said it all....priceless!

Yep, Me.

I think the Bears are in the perfect situation to nurture Trubs and coach him up to success. First off we sign Glennon. They pay him money to start in year 1 and then to backup in year 2 and 3, which really meant we were gonna draft a QB and draft one early. Glennon helped mentor Winston, who I really rate. Glennon will guide Trubs in everything it takes to be a starter. Preparation, handling the media, and other nuances of starting NFL QB life, take note, Manziel and co. Glennon is a competitor that will push Trubisky and challenge him, this is a golden opportunity for Glennon too remember, probably one that makes or breaks his entire career. Barring injuries Trubs will have to earn time if can. He isn't getting thrown to the wolves like others before him.

Then you have Sanchez who just helped mentor Dak Prescott. He knows about the pressure of being a 1st round pick in a hard city. He will help Trubisky along the way as well, although providing significantly less competition because he's awful. By the time Trubs is ready to play he will be fully prepared, in theory.

The Bears also have a strong running game for Trubisky to lean on early, Howard is probably gonna be one of the best RBs in the league and we have depth there too, with different weapons. We also have a solid interior line so that he can step up in the pocket and deliver, especially with a young Whitehair, they can grow together. The only question is the weapons at WR and TE. A healthy Zack Miller is a solid option at TE but his injuries worry me. We really need Kevin White to step up, he showed real top class stuff prior to getting hurt. If he can stay healthy he will provide a solid option on the outside. If White is healthy Meredith will do fine in the #2 role, could be one of those breakout random receivers this year, he'll be on my very late fantasy list. Wright, Wheaton, Royal can all make plays when called upon. It would be nice to give Trubisky a true #1 option to throw to but a lot of rookie QBs have been thrown into a lot worse situations, and if we look stronger this season AND draft well for the remainder of the draft on D, I can see going hard to get a big boy WR in free agency or next years draft.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Yep, Me.

I think the Bears are in the perfect situation to nurture Trubs and coach him up to success. First off we sign Glennon. They pay him money to start in year 1 and then to backup in year 2 and 3, which really meant we were gonna draft a QB and draft one early. Glennon helped mentor Winston, who I really rate. Glennon will guide Trubs in everything it takes to be a starter. Preparation, handling the media, and other nuances of starting NFL QB life, take note, Manziel and co. Glennon is a competitor that will push Trubisky and challenge him, this is a golden opportunity for Glennon too remember, probably one that makes or breaks his entire career. Barring injuries Trubs will have to earn time if can. He isn't getting thrown to the wolves like others before him.

Then you have Sanchez who just helped mentor Dak Prescott. He knows about the pressure of being a 1st round pick in a hard city. He will help Trubisky along the way as well, although providing significantly less competition because he's awful. By the time Trubs is ready to play he will be fully prepared, in theory.

The Bears also have a strong running game for Trubisky to lean on early, Howard is probably gonna be one of the best RBs in the league and we have depth there too, with different weapons. We also have a solid interior line so that he can step up in the pocket and deliver, especially with a young Whitehair, they can grow together. The only question is the weapons at WR and TE. A healthy Zack Miller is a solid option at TE but his injuries worry me. We really need Kevin White to step up, he showed real top class stuff prior to getting hurt. If he can stay healthy he will provide a solid option on the outside. If White is healthy Meredith will do fine in the #2 role, could be one of those breakout random receivers this year, he'll be on my very late fantasy list. Wright, Wheaton, Royal can all make plays when called upon. It would be nice to give Trubisky a true #1 option to throw to but a lot of rookie QBs have been thrown into a lot worse situations, and if we look stronger this season AND draft well for the remainder of the draft on D, I can see going hard to get a big boy WR in free agency or next years draft.

I hope you are right. First impressions were it was an overstretch that could have jeopardized the rest of this years draft for us. Having read your post i have a little bit more hope! Hopefully strengthen the secondary in the next couple of rounds.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very happy with Fournette, but we absolutely must draft a tackle or guard next, hopefully Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp will survive the 3 picks before us and we can strike.

Jul 7, 2003
My friends in the Windy City did not seem unhappy.

General consensus is that the Bears were played brilliantly by the 49ers in that move and the niners not only still got the player they wanted but also some extra picks. Best part was the bloke on NFL who was so positive that the Bears were trading up to get Solomon Thomas and then looked so embarrassed when he was wrong.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
http://dailysnark.com/heres-video-compilation-bears-fans-losing-minds-bears-taking-trubisky-2/

Maybe they ought to reach out to these guys then.....give them a shoulder to cry on! :eek:)

General consensus is that the Bears were played brilliantly by the 49ers in that move and the niners not only still got the player they wanted but also some extra picks. Best part was the bloke on NFL who was so positive that the Bears were trading up to get Solomon Thomas and then looked so embarrassed when he was wrong.

I understand that Trubisky got booed at the Bulls (NBA) game when he was announced.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fter-bears-trade-up-to-select-qb-in-nfl-draft

Speaking to reporters Friday, Trubisky said he won't worry about outside criticism too much, per the Chicago Sun-Times' Adam L. Jahns: "But if it doesn't come from the coaches, I know how to block that out. I'm going to stick to what I know and what I do and just continue to learn from the coaches and the rest of these players in the league."

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I understand that Trubisky got booed at the Bulls (NBA) game when he was announced.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fter-bears-trade-up-to-select-qb-in-nfl-draft

Speaking to reporters Friday, Trubisky said he won't worry about outside criticism too much, per the Chicago Sun-Times' Adam L. Jahns: "But if it doesn't come from the coaches, I know how to block that out. I'm going to stick to what I know and what I do and just continue to learn from the coaches and the rest of these players in the league."

Incredible isn't it? To think we had a multi page topic about booing Akpom and the absolute thickos are booing their intended franchise QB. American sports fans are just awful.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Very solid from the Steelers - If he puts on 10-15 pounds TJ Watt is an absolute steal at 1.30 though we may regret not taking Rueben Foster in this spot despite him not filing an immediate need. Given Martavis Bryant's inability to stay clean and Sammy Coates' dodgy hands, I like Ju Ju Shuster as BPA at 2.62, even if Bryant doesn't get himself suspended, Shuster's skill set is more of the big-bodied slot/ possession receiver we haven't had since Jericho Crotchety left and with uncertainty at Tight End that could be invaluable on third down and in the red zone. Cameron Sutton at 3.94 is a solid guy, he may well be getting reps as slot corner fairly quickly. James Connor at 3.105 was one of the stories of the draft, kid from Penn, went to Pitt, survived cancer, has ended a Steeler. A bit of a reach, I think we've fallen in love with his intangibles; having said that he's a big bodied back who will provide capable backup to take some of the heat off Bell.

We drafted a project QB in the 4th in Josh Dobbs who in time will likely be better than Landry Jones though I doubt a long term solution once Ben retires, Brian Allen in the 5th is a combine monster - 6" 3' and ran the 40 yd dash under 4.5s, he's raw as hell though having played Wide Receiver until his junior year. We drafted a Long Snapper in the 6th round - apparently he's the best. We added a light pass rusher Keion Adams in the 7th.

A decent combination of players that improve us now and some interesting looking projects.

He was defintely good value in the 2nd but do the Browns think Kizer is their man, long term?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here