Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prime Minister to make a statement from Downing Street - GENERAL ELECTION on 8th June

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Out of the 649 MPs,one seat vacant May needs 434 votes i believe as it stands Tories 330. Labour 229. Bagpipes 54 The Rest 35 ? So why would Labour back an election ? Unless they want Jezza out ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Out of the 649 MPs,one seat vacant May needs 434 votes i believe as it stands Tories 330. Labour 229. Bagpipes 54 The Rest 35 ? So why would Labour back an election ? Unless they want Jezza out ?

[tweet]854284198772920320[/tweet]

I welcome the PM’s decision to give the British people the chance to vote for a government that will put the interests of the majority first.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
First thought that crossed my mind on this: we haven't yet heard the real reason this election has been called. Here's a tin foil hat theory:

The CPS are closing in on making their decisions on whether or not to prosecute the Tories who have been under investigation for election fraud stemming from the previous election. The current government have received a leak that indicates there will be prosecutions, and the Tories feel that these are likely to trigger multiple by-elections and/or enough controversy that it will be harmful to their current agenda. This announcement is getting ahead of that process, in the hope that it will preempt the CPS decisions and convince them to decide against prosecuting. After all, why bother when a new GE has been called?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
WTF is going to happening with the Brexit negotiations for the next two months?!

We only have two years to sort this sh1t out and taking two months out cannot be good?!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Full text of the statement from The Rt Hon Theresa May MP, Prime Minister

I have just chaired a meeting of Cabinet where we agreed that the Government should call a general election to be held on 8th June. I want to explain the reasons for that decision, what will happen next and the choice facing the British people when you come to vote in this election. Last summer after the country voted to leave the EU, Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership and since I became Prime Minister the Government has delivered precisely that. Despite predictions of immediate financial and economic danger since the referendum we have seen consumer confidence remain high, record numbers of jobs and economic growth that has has exceeded all expectations.

We have also delivered on the mandate we were handed by the referendum result. Britain is leaving the EU and there can be no turning back. And as we look to the future the Government has the right plan for negotiating our new relationship with Europe. We want a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful EU and a UK that is free to chart its own way in the world. That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws and our own borders and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world.

This is the right approach and it is in the national interest, but the other political parties oppose it. At this moment of enormous national significance there should be unity here in Westminster, but instead there is division. The country is coming together, but Westminster is not. In recent weeks Labour have threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach with the EU, the Liberal Democrats have said they want to grind the business of government to a standstill, the SNP say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain’s membership of the EU and unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way. Our opponents believe because the Government’s majority is so small that our resolve will weaken and that they can force us to change course.

They are wrong, they underestimate our determination tog et the job done and I am not prepared to let them endanger the security of millions of working people across the country because what they are doing jeopardises the work we must do to prepare for Brexit at home and it weakens the Government’s negotiating position in Europe. If we do not hold a General Election now their political game playing will continue and the negotiations with the EU will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled election. Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit and it will cause damaging uncertainty and instability to the country.

So we need a general election and we need one now because we have at this moment a one-off chance to get this done while the EU agrees its negotiating position and before the detailed talks begin. I have only recently and reluctantly come this conclusion. since I became Prime Minister I have said there should be no election until 2020, but now I have concluded that the only way to guarantee certainty and stability for the years ahead is to hold this election and seek your support for the decisions I must take.

And so tomorrow I will move a motion in the House of Commons calling for a general election to be held on 8th June. That motion, as set out by the Fixed Term Parliament Act, will require a two thirds majority of the House of Commons. So I have a simple challenge to the opposition parties. You have criticised the Government’s vision for Brexit, you have challenged our objectives, you have threatened to block the legislation we put before Parliament. This is your moment to show you mean it, to show you are not opposing the Government for the sake of it, to show that you do not treat politics as a game.

Let us tomorrow vote for an election, let us put forward our plans for Brexit and our alternative programmes for government and then let the people decide. And the decision facing the country will be all about leadership. It will be a choice between strong and stable leadership in the national interest, with me as your Prime Minister, or weak and unstable coalition government led by Jeremy Corbyn, propped up by the Liberal Democrats, who want to re-open the divisions of the referendum, and Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.

Every vote for the Conservatives will make it harder for opposition politicians who want to stop me from getting the job done. Every vote for the Conservatives will make me stronger when I negotiate for Britain with the prime ministers, presidents and chancellors of the EU. Every vote for the Conservatives will mean we can stick to our plan for a stronger Britain and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.

It was with reluctance that I decided the country needs this election, but it is with strong conviction that I say it is necessary to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond. So tomorrow, let the House of Commons vote for an early election, let everybody put forward their proposals for Brexit and their programme for government and let us remove the risk of uncertainty and instability and continue to give the country the strong and stable leadership it demands.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
First thought that crossed my mind on this: we haven't yet heard the real reason this election has been called. Here's a tin foil hat theory:

The CPS are closing in on making their decisions on whether or not to prosecute the Tories who have been under investigation for election fraud stemming from the previous election. The current government have received a leak that indicates there will be prosecutions, and the Tories feel that these are likely to trigger multiple by-elections and/or enough controversy that it will be harmful to their current agenda. This announcement is getting ahead of that process, in the hope that it will preempt the CPS decisions and convince them to decide against prosecuting. After all, why bother when a new GE has been called?

But you are talking about local constituencies de-selecting a sitting MP on rumours, hearsey etc.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

But you are talking about local constituencies de-selecting a sitting MP on rumours, hearsey etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's just a giant cry for help from the useless Conservative Government we're lumbered with, because they know Brexit is impossible, unworkable, immoral and nothing other than a disaster, but now they've got to pretend to go along with it despite knowing all this - think Amber Rudd.

It makes it interesting though. It's like another Brexit vote. Tory is Brexit by commitment and Labour and Lib Dems are remain. I’m pretty apathetic towards it all really because it doesn’t and will not ever affect me either way. I doubt I will bother voting in this Brexit election circus show.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It makes it interesting though. It's like another Brexit vote. Tory is Brexit by commitment and Labour and Lib Dems are remain. I’m pretty apathetic towards it all really because it doesn’t and will not ever affect me either way. I doubt I will bother voting in this Brexit election circus show.

Not the 'leader' though...

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Not talking about de-selecting. I'm talking about the possible criminal prosecutions (which, if they went through and guilty verdicts were delivered, would automatically trigger by-elections). This isn't rumours and hearsay. It's police investigations and files being handed over from the police to the CPS.

I suspect the end result of that will be that not many prosecutions do actually go forward. But there's one in particular that is most likely to go to trial, and it would dominate the news if it did. It's a potential controversy the Tories cannot afford to have, and it's plausible that (if they've caught wind of prosecutions being imminent) they are trying to head it off before it happens.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Zzzzzzzzzzzz CorBIN interview.
The only thing you could do to secure more votes is to resign, you boring, selfish, out-of-touch *******.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I voted for Brexit but I would never vote for the Tories in a general election but this vote is basically Brexit 2 I think I just won't vote.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

It'll be very interesting. Obviously everyone who thinks Brexit is a great idea and how wonderfully caring and sharing our Conservative and Unionist Government are will vote Tory. The problem is how many people will vote for parties branded as 'extremist loons' by some on the infamous NSC Brexit thread, such as The SNP, The Liberal Democrats and Sinn Fein?

This is going to be very interesting and I have a feeling very, very divisive and nasty. I see the charming Arron Banks is already stating on Twitter he'll stand against Douglas Carswell in Clacton and I suppose there is a possibility, despite wanting his life back, that the public school educated, former city banker and peoples champion Nigel Farage might also try and get into Westminster.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The point about the CPS and Police is correct,my point is say one of the alleged MP,s wants to stand again as MP for that constituency ?

What a cow - couldn't even let me feel happy about the promotion for 24 hours

I voted for Brexit but I would never vote for the Tories in a general election but this vote is basically Brexit 2 I think I just won't vote.

It's basically a binary choice between the hardest of hard Brexits (loads of big companies pissing off abroad) or Corbyn. You abstain on that and you let the economic chaos of the Tories' little Englander madness win

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here