Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falklands '82

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Is it as cold as they say ? It actually appears that it doesn't rain so much in winter- unless it snows, of course.

Spent plenty time sunbathing when had no work to do. Tempretures aint so different to those here. Bit more snow in winter. Only as close to the south pole as London to the north pole

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Spent plenty time sunbathing when had no work to do. Tempretures aint so different to those here. Bit more snow in winter. Only as close to the south pole as London to the north pole

Did you swim in the sea - I'm pretty sure it has a warm current as we have the Gulf Stream?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Clear and pollution free waters I should imagine.
yeah some very beautiful empty beaches. think 1 of the most beautiful is Gypsy Cove right next to Stanley but unfortunately not meant to go onto the beach there as a risk of undiscovered land mines.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
yeah some very beautiful empty beaches. think 1 of the most beautiful is Gypsy Cove right next to Stanley but unfortunately not meant to go onto the beach there as a risk of undiscovered land mines.

That's a shame...Hopefully it'll all be cleared in time.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Clear and pollution free waters I should imagine.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
That's a shame...Hopefully it'll all be cleared in time.

think there was some rules set that mines have to be cleared after 30 years I think (not sure). But obviously this would be a really expensive project to undertake. Also because in this example on the beaches tides/sand will move/bury these things.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Aircraft Handler shag, different breed. Left as a Chief in 05 having cracked 26 years, 19 of which were spent as ships company on grey funnels, never did a squadron or flight. Hope this improves your opinion! :)

Served with one of NSC's finest, Hampden Park on the Fearless in the 90's, top man.

Nostris in Manibus Tuti

:blush:Cheers Smudge, that's the nicest thing (positive) that anyone has ever said to me in a very long while, you're not so bad yourself :cheers::thumbsup:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Aircraft Handler shag, different breed. Left as a Chief in 05 having cracked 26 years, 19 of which were spent as ships company on grey funnels, never did a squadron or flight. Hope this improves your opinion! :)

Served with one of NSC's finest, Hampden Park on the Fearless in the 90's, top man.

Nostris in Manibus Tuti

Did your paths ever cross with my two lifetime schoolmates and run ashore oppos ( when we all on leave together) Ivor and David Valentine ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm sure Thatcher would have lost the 83 election if it wasn't for the Falklands war. A good war does great things for opinion polls

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I know of them, it's a small branch. Maybe slightly before my time. I was 78-05.

They were twins but no way identical
Ivor had ginger hair and joined up just after me in 74
He done his 22 then went to Bristol Airport where he was Chief of Station ( I think) in the end
Sadly taken from us about 3 years ago by severe dementia etc
The service at Weston super mare was rammed with ex Mob lads
David is still about down Okehampton way

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
They were twins but no way identical
Ivor had ginger hair and joined up just after me in 74
He done his 22 then went to Bristol Airport where he was Chief of Station ( I think) in the end
Sadly taken from us about 3 years ago by severe dementia etc
The service at Weston super mare was rammed with ex Mob lads
David is still about down Okehampton way

I knew Ivor was at Bristol Airport as I have some old shipmates there, plus I was "given" Avon & Somerset to take care of during the national fire strike in I think 02 or 03? Anyway, I used my contacts at the airport & they provided a great training facility for the teams I had throughout the county, mostly made up of bootnecks!
Sad news to hear about him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You have to be careful when comparing distances and sizes on the world map due to the Mercator Projection. Essentially countries near the equator are portrayed as being much smaller whereas countries near the poles are much larger. This would factor in when comparing distances too. As an example on the world map, Greenland appears similar in size to Africa whereas in reality, it's much much smaller.....

That's something i have recently discovered and it's interesting reading...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here