Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This week;s show with Paul Beirne is now up as a podcast, and yes we did cover this...

Would you ask him to have another look at making a digital version of the programme available again please? This was done for a couple of seasons, but then removed as it made a loss (according to Insider on Ask The Club). However, I have seen a number of clubs offer this service (even offering a single match option). And it is bloody annoying seeing multiple articles on the official website "promoting" articles in that week's programme, when I can't actually buy it.

and this...

Can you stop referring to supporters as customers please? Thanks.

And, marginally, this...

How many of our commercial deals are dependent on Championship football ?

ajwseagull

Apr 15, 2014
ohhhhhhh, O'Grady,
ooh, ahh
i wanna knowwwww
when you'll score a goal, 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

tune of 'hey baby'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just listened to it. Very, VERY good show which, as I expected on the Paul Beirne blog thread that was hijacked by BG, explained fully and properly what Paul's role at the club is. What was great though was it was a thoroughly entertaining piece of radio in its own right. It contained a debate on the nature of what is "corporate" and it made me think. Bear with me.

This may be because I worked for a Toronto based company for five years and though I never went there I have a lot of Canadian friends from there as we worked remotely on sites round the world. However, what I got from Paul Beirne was that he got "it". He has the same part-mock-rant, part self depreciating humour many Brits have and seemed like he was a guy who appreciates sport, an ale, a good book and a joke. My contention in the whole corporate debate is this; he and Paui Barber could be given EXACTLY the same message to communicate and more people would warm to Paul Beirne. That's my take on the essence of what you guys were discussing.

flying high

May 12, 2009
Just listened to it. Very, VERY good show which, as I expected on the Paul Beirne blog thread that was hijacked by BG

I have just spoken to BG and he doesnt know what you are talking about and says it is probably just another example of people having a knock at him. Can you provide details of the thread or a link and he will answer all accusations when he returns tomorrow.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have just spoken to BG and he doesnt know what you are talking about and says it is probably just another example of people having a knock at him. Can you provide details of the thread or a link and he will answer all accusations when he returns tomorrow.

Use the search facility granddad.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

You either haven't spoken to him, or he has conveniently had a pretty comprehensive attack of amnesia. How hard is it to think that a thread about Paul Beirne doesn't mention him somewhere in there - especially when the thread title actually has his name in it...? I used the serch facility and typed in 'Paul Beirne'. Guess what came up...?

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...uot-Paul-Beirne-from-NHL-NBA-and-MLS-to-BHAFC

Meanwhile...

The piece states that Paul will be on The Albion Roar this weekend. Would be good if [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] could ask where the lines of management responsibility now sit, i.e. what are Paul Beirne's targets and what are Paul Barber's? My guess would be that this seems to be a sort of combination of Operations and Sales and Marketing type role allowing Paul Barber to run the club day by day on behalf of TB. However, that's not quite what others have stated in the past...

To which Bens Grandad, for reasons best known to himself, replied with this piece of nonsense...

It wont be asked as it would not fall into the category of questions the club would wish to answer, remember it is not Harty asking a controversial question.

Others, meanwhile, couldn't their heads around Brian's reasoning. Not that there seemed to be any...

Really? Sounds like just the sort of question that would get asked.

Exactly. Though how it would be phrased is the key. You really can ask the same question numerous ways. For example I doubt Al (or Aidy) would say "aren't you just doing the same job as Paul Barber?". It would be more along the lines of "Tell us about your role at the Albion and what your responsiblities are" with a follow up if necessary. Not that I have to tell the two gents that as they're pretty good at what they do but it seems others still need it pointing out.

Indeed. I'm confused as to who does what, and who sits where in the hierarchy, and would like to know myself.

Of course I can ask that. What's controversial about asking about the management structure of the football club?

So we did ask him, and Paul Beirne did answer.

flying high

May 12, 2009
Thank you I shall be speaking to him shortly but having read it myself it looks like 1 post saying he doubted that the question would be asked, hardly hijacking a thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here