Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player of the season so far?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yep. Felt Duffy was clinging on by the end of last season & that Balogun would soon take his place but he's been better than ever.
& absolutely, Glenn too

This, all the way. I really thought Duffy's form dropped last season, and that Goldson deserved a run. Duffy was too error-prone and, however many headers he won, they either missed the target (at set pieces) or went straight back to the opposition (defensively). He's been utterly immense this season, and has improved his distribution, and has outshone Dunk this season, although I thought Dunk was supreme yesterday.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Because I honestly don’t think he’s been close to as good as Ryan and Duffy. Murray has overall been very good this season but the other two have been performing at an elite level in every single game. Murray has now missed a couple of games and not been great in a couple of others.

I’ve watched a lot of premier league football this season and haven’t seen a better goalkeeper or centre back from any team so far. We’ve needed them too as we’ve only really played well in the Man Utd game.

I suppose it’s how you judge ‘player of the season’. I can’t argue with your logic but mine is different in that I’m looking at our points and goals total and thinking about who has affected that the most. I think it’s easier to defend than score goals so I’ll always have a bias towards goal scorers.

Murray’s job is to score goals, if he is doing that, we don’t need too much more from him (in the same way that if Ryan is keeping clean sheets, his distribution and long defence splitting passes are not necessarily the be all and end all to judge him on).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it’s easier to defend than score goals

An interesting thought. You need very different skill sets for these positions but I would have thought it’s just as difficult to be a great defender as it is a great striker?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Funny to think it was only a few short months ago that letting Goldson go was a huge mistake and that he should be playing in place of Duffy...

He and Dunk have been immense, but a nod to Ryan too – some fantastic saves that's we've just come to expect as standard, these days.

The only other one I could see getting it is Murray, if he carries on scoring at the rate he has been since the beginning of last season. What was that stat I heard on MoTD? Something about him being the highest scoring 30+ player in Europe this season (a list that includes Ronaldo)... ???

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think Murray is improved on the player we saw from Feb onwards, he is winning battles against centre backs and bringing others into play and has been our main goal threat but most things have gone through him without Gross on the pitch.

I think knockaert has had some excellent games this season but this may be the fear of loosing his place that has helped drive him on.

It feels like Ryan has made more world class saves than he had to last season but is this due to some sloppy defending.

We seem to have been poor defensively against some poor sides but have looked so much better against West Ham with Izquierdo, Ali and Kayal in the side. Is that because we are keeping the ball more and causing our opposition to retreat.

Duffy is probably the player of the season so far

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
An interesting thought. You need very different skill sets for these positions but I would have thought it’s just as difficult to be a great defender as it is a great striker?

I just think that attacking players have more ‘genius’.

Who are the top 5 all time players? Most people won’t pick defenders and keepers. It’s almost always attacking midfielders/strikers that get the plaudits e.g.

1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Ronaldo
4. Pele
5. Best

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Funny to think it was only a few short months ago that letting Goldson go was a huge mistake and that he should be playing in place of Duffy...

He and Dunk have been immense, but a nod to Ryan too – some fantastic saves that's we've just come to expect as standard, these days.
Not everyone thought letting Goldson go was a huge mistake.

Some posters figured the league leading defender in shots blocked, headed clearances etc, was worth keeping around.

Others appear to believe a centre backs worth comes from how many goals he scores :facepalm:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I just think that attacking players have more ‘genius’.

Who are the top 5 all time players? Most people won’t pick defenders and keepers. It’s almost always attacking midfielders/strikers that get the plaudits e.g.

1. Messi
2. Maradona
3. Ronaldo
4. Pele
5. Best

You seemed to have missed Dicker off your list, Hugo :dunce:

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
It’s a tough choice between Ryan, Duffy and Murray for me.

Matty is as good as any keeper in the league in my book and has just got better and better. The save from Shelveys deflected free kick was amazing.

Shane was poor pre-season but he was recovering from injury. Since Watford he has been superb and carried Lewis for a few early games.

Not sure I can add anything to the praise of Glenn. It’s goals that win games and the top scoring 33+ year old in Europe plays for us. Wow:O

As a keeper myself many years ago who was even shorter than Matty it’s just got to be him for me but still plenty of time for Kayel to stake a claim

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Probably Duffy for me.

I think Bissouma wins best new signing. Even with that miss yesterday.

Duffy in Garths team of the week for what its worth ...
I'd also choose Duffy

Shane Duffy: Talk about keeping the ball alive. That's precisely what Shane Duffy did when he brilliantly headed the ball back across the box to help create Brighton's winning goal against Newcastle.

The central defender went on to provide a commanding display at the back in order to give manager Chris Hughton a special return to St James' Park.

This could be the turning point for Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez. When Newcastle fans start streaming out of the stadium before the end of the game, the writing is on the wall.

Did you know? Irishman Duffy made a Premier League-best for this season of 19 clearances in Brighton's 1-0 win at Newcastle.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Probably Duffy for me

20181030_102503.png

Agree with this, man mountain v Wolves :thumbsup:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Kayal has made such a difference imo so much better than Propper in every way , I have no doubt we would not of won those 3 games if Propper had been playing, but overall yes Duffy has been the stand out guy , though Ryan is running him very close .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here