Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Support Gay Marriage" Cake Row

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If someone, whoever, in this whole process, could have just sat down and worked out all the expense and thought is it really worth all this - could it have been avoided?
That depends on whether the person ordering the cake wanted to make a point or not. They could have kept going back to the shop and asking for increasingly awkward slogans for the shop to make.

'Christians who don't support gay marriage will go to hell'
etc

Not aimed at you Knocky:

What if the bakers were gay, and some god bothering tw@ asked for a slogan saying 'Marriage is a bond between man and woman'?
And if the baker was fine with that, pushing it further until they weren't?

What if the baker was a Muslim, and the customer wanted a cake mocking Islam?

Obviously there are situations when the company should be able to say no.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Who could force him? I've never seen a baker in a headlock in the back of his shop, hand piping a message on a cake shouting "nooooo.. this is against my wishes!" ...

Nobody would ever make it illegal to refuse to do something you don't want to do when it comes to business. If it was made law that you HAVE to do as the customer demands, then what about a man walking into a Jewish bakery demanding they make him a bacon and cheese turnover?

As I said before, and will say again, this is bullshit with sparklers on top.
That is exactly what was happening. If the baker had dropped it, he would have been considered guilty of homophobic discrimination and a precedent would have been set that it was illegal to refuse to do certain work for certain people.

It wouldn't apply to your scenario because the Jewish bakery would not usually use bacon whereas the NI baker did make cakes with messages on.

A more pertinent example might be if a Muslim had gone in to a Jewish baker and asked for a cake saying something like "Israel is a Racist State". Would a refusal have been discriminatory according to the law? The latest judgement says that it wouldn't be but if the NI judgement had gone the other way then there would be a precedent suggesting it might be.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I know. Sorry not to be clear. I don't think this was discrimination- but would have been had they refused to make a same sex wedding cake.

I'm not sure that that is the case. If the cake had, for example, two men as grooms on the top, could the baker legitimately refuse to make it on the grounds that this went against his beliefs and he would refuse whatever the sexuality of the person ordering the cake?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Another example of the extremist religious bigotry that still exists in one part of the UK. Religious fundamentalists are a serious and significant danger to our culture and freedoms....regardless of what religion they follow.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another example of the extremist religious bigotry that still exists in one part of the UK. Religious fundamentalists are a serious and significant danger to our culture and freedoms....regardless of what religion they follow.

...eh? Ironic that you bring up freedom given what's happening in this case, in terms of the baker's freedoms.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is what happened. The local courts in Northern Ireland ruled against the bakery, saying they had to make the cake.

So you could get Nike to print a shirt saying 'We used children under 10 in sweatshops to make this shirt, so we could maximise our profits. Child slavery for the win!'
I'm in agreement with your point but that would actually be a good thing and very amusing.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I'm pretty much in the don't care category. I'm sure some other baker would have supplied
Although not sure about NI where strong religious conoctations will play a part. A case of fantasy in religious belief, against the world we live in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here