Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jamie Vardy Semi-Retires from international duty

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Maybe he feels with his wife tagging along to England away matches he can't act up like he can when he's on a club away days with the lads

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Maybe if they had a half decent attitude they would be good!

I did not realise, until today, that Leicester play Fleetwood in the EFL Cup.
Now call me Mr Sceptical if you want, but do you think there was any possibility that Vardy put in that ridiculous tackle to get sent off on purpose so that he did not bang in 3 or 4 against them.
Maybe he would not have got selected, but it was the sort of tackle that you see players do in December to get Christmas off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds like the mate you have at Sunday League level who is decent, but just not that fussed. "Let me know if you're really short, and I'll see if I can square it with the missus."

**** me. Where'd the pride in playing for England go eh?

Judging by his history (asking to be loaned back to Fleetwood a few years ago) he suffers from imposter syndrome.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I myself have recently made myself unavailable for international selection, tough decision but most games clash with rate 3 - London first [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe Gareth gave them advance warning. Not much use as squad players for 2 years of friendliest and qualifiers. We're ****** if we need them in 2020.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Maybe Gareth gave them advance warning. Not much use as squad players for 2 years of friendliest and qualifiers. We're ****** if we need them in 2020.

This. Amazed at some of the hate on here. Whether Southgate has told them or not and there is a international squad to be announced this week...they were clearly on 'borrowed' time and have recognised that fact and moved aside. We are actually building for the next tournament for once instead of desperately trying to win every friendly, Southgate is growing on me and this is another shrewd move IMO

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I don’t think this is either Vardy or Cahill’s choice. I think Southgate has told them the likelihood is that two players who were only on the fringes of the squad this summer aren’t going to be anywhere near it in 2020 when both are 33+. So rather than the embarrassment of being dropped, he’s asked them if they fancy a chance to pretend it’s their choice while still leaving the door open if we ever do need them again.

Otherwise, it’s one hell of a coincidence that both announce the same news (and a semi-retirement is very unusual) for the same reason on the same day.

^This. It's time to build for the future and get the players who stand a good chance of playing in the Euro's used to playing as a team and that means moving on and away from having a squad that includes any of the following: Cahill, Vardy, Hart, Young, Heaton, Lallana,...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pre-emptive retirement IMHO. The equivalent of jumping before you're pushed.

I don’t think this is either Vardy or Cahill’s choice. I think Southgate has told them the likelihood is that two players who were only on the fringes of the squad this summer aren’t going to be anywhere near it in 2020 when both are 33+. So rather than the embarrassment of being dropped, he’s asked them if they fancy a chance to pretend it’s their choice while still leaving the door open if we ever do need them again.

Otherwise, it’s one hell of a coincidence that both announce the same news (and a semi-retirement is very unusual) for the same reason on the same day.

Agree with this. The idea it’s to spend more time with his family doesn’t make much sense either, as pointed out football is a part time job for the majority of the time.

aberdare seagull

Feb 28, 2014
south wales
Maybe not, but if you add up the time spent at St George's Park before the games, travelling to international friendlies/qualifiers (away AND home) and weeks away from home every other summer, it must take its toll. Don't get me wrong, they have a great life/income, but sometimes it must get on their nerves and they probably WOULD like a bit of a break from it.

Tell him to try working at sea for months on end for your country with little or no contact with family on an annual salary which some of these players earn in a day. If he wants to swap then ill give it a go although i may find it too stressful

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Vardy is an interesting case. Not many players turn down a move to Arsenal, and quit international football at 31.

Cahill, I understand.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Tell him to try working at sea for months on end for your country with little or no contact with family on an annual salary which some of these players earn in a day. If he wants to swap then ill give it a go although i may find it too stressful
It's not a competition but sure, I'll ask him next time I see him...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here