Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superb Cyclist v Land Rover road rage

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not a law not to either.

Just be a courteous driver towards all cyclists on the roads, simple innit!

Was originally making a joke... but if you insist on biting... I shall retort.

Courtesy works both ways and riding in a wide rather than long formation, slower than the prevailing traffic speed, is not being courteous and yet it seems to happen whenever there are 2 or more cyclists together. Simple innit!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You really do need to be careful how you act in public in this day and age! Am guessing his outburst has had quite a negative impact upon his business.

From the Telegraph 3rd June 2015:

Angry driver apologises for road rage rant against cyclist.

Master butcher Jason Wells has apologised for his involvement in a face-off with a cyclist, after video footage of the incident went viral online.

He's been dubbed the 'Angriest Driver in Britain' – but now, Jason Wells has appeared to calm down, offering an apology for his incredible road rage rant that has gone viral online.

In a video that has been shared around the web, Mr. Wells, a 50-year-old master butcher, could be seen launching an astonishing tirade against a cyclist, whom he called a "f***ing idiot" for using the road instead of an available cycle path.

Apparently unaware that cyclists are at liberty to use the road even when a cycle path is present, the motorist told the rider: “I should smash your f***ing teeth down your throat.” When the cyclist asked why he didn’t do so, Mr. Wells replied: “Because there’s a witness, otherwise I’d break your f***ing neck.”

The footage sparked a howl of outrage from cyclists online – many of whom reacted to the news that Mr Wells owns Brew, a chain of coffee shops in southwest London, by suggesting a mass boycott of his premises.

Speaking to the Richmond and Twickenham Guardian about the incident yesterday, Mr Wells said that he "would like to apologise for any offence caused".

“My behaviour was unacceptable and regardless of the situation, I shouldn’t react like that," he said.

“I fully appreciate that cyclists have as much right to the road as any other road users.

“I will be making no further comment at this time.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "A 50-year-old man voluntarily attended a south London police station where he was interviewed in connection with the incident. The man was not arrested.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Was originally making a joke... but if you insist on biting... I shall retort.

Courtesy works both ways and riding in a wide rather than long formation, slower than the prevailing traffic speed, is not being courteous and yet it seems to happen whenever there are 2 or more cyclists together. Simple innit!

Sorry but in general it's so much easier to overtake cyclists in a group than in a long line. You're suppose to give them as much room as you would a car anyway. Sometimes when I'm driving home down the C7 there's a group of "cyclists" i.e. fat people on bicycles who're are valiantly doing the London to Paris for charity. You get about 12 of them in a long line and it's impossible to overtake, leading to a queue of 100 cars behind them. If there were in a small bunch it would be a lot easier.

Admittedly it does depend on the type of road in question.

Yoda

English & European
Is that why they insist on riding in a pack of 3x3 rather than riding single file - they are just pretending to be a car.

Seriously...The only thing I took from this video apart from the fact they both need a little more sleep (who isn't a little crabby when they don't get enough sleep) is that the "offending" cyclist couldn't be arsed to check over his shoulder when over taking another bike at the beginning of the film. If he'd done that in front of me I might have got a little annoyed (but then I get enough sleep).

The reason we don't see that, is because the camera is mounted on the bike.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Would you rather all of the people on bikes got back in their cars and further blocked up our already heavily congested roads? The fact is the roads in London and the south east are full. A car takes up the space of nine cyclists. Cycling needs to be encouraged for the benefit of everyone and it would be better for the economy and indeed the treasury to subsidise cycling rather than to tax it. Not to mention the tens of thousands of people per year who are dying due to pollution from traffic.

The vehicle excise duty which I pay is a tax on pollution. If it was used to fund decent cycle lanes I wouldn't have to drive the 12 miles to work each day, which I do because the roads are too dangerous to cycle on.

I was about to write this and then saw you'd saved me the trouble, Notters. The welfare economics rationale is that you tax those things that impose external costs on others (congestion, pollution) in order to discourage them.

PG (30 years a transport economist)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Sorry but in general it's so much easier to overtake cyclists in a group than in a long line. You're suppose to give them as much room as you would a car anyway. Sometimes when I'm driving home down the C7 there's a group of "cyclists" i.e. fat people on bicycles who're are valiantly doing the London to Paris for charity. You get about 12 of them in a long line and it's impossible to overtake, leading to a queue of 100 cars behind them. If there were in a small bunch it would be a lot easier.

Admittedly it does depend on the type of road in question.

Fair point, but not impossible for said fatties to perform the same maneuver as a typical tractor-riding farmer and pull in every once in a while... you know... out of courtesy to the queue of traffic he's created.

Frankly, I have no axe to grind. At the end of the day, I don't consider myself a motorist or a cyclist as I work 5 minutes walk from home, pass a supermarket on the way and take a train to Falmer, so I'm more of a pedestrian than anything, I can genuinely go weeks without even seeing our car (parked down a side road) - therefore it is my sworn duty to wear headphones and be glued to my phone at all times, stepping out randomly into the road to p1ss off cyclists and car drivers in equal measure.

Yoda

English & European
Did consider that but it seemed unlikely to me because it captured the motorists face so much... suggesting it was at the same height and consistent with being a helmet cam. (IMO)

That's where he keeps picking his bike up to capture his ugly mug, capturing him saying what he was going to do to him. The motorist was quite clearly heard at one point to "Put your f*****g bike down then and I will"

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You really do need to be careful how you act in public in this day and age! Am guessing his outburst has had quite a negative impact upon his business.

From the Telegraph 3rd June 2015:

Angry driver apologises for road rage rant against cyclist.

Master butcher Jason Wells has apologised for his involvement in a face-off with a cyclist, after video footage of the incident went viral online.

He's been dubbed the 'Angriest Driver in Britain' – but now, Jason Wells has appeared to calm down, offering an apology for his incredible road rage rant that has gone viral online.

In a video that has been shared around the web, Mr. Wells, a 50-year-old master butcher, could be seen launching an astonishing tirade against a cyclist, whom he called a "f***ing idiot" for using the road instead of an available cycle path.

Apparently unaware that cyclists are at liberty to use the road even when a cycle path is present, the motorist told the rider: “I should smash your f***ing teeth down your throat.” When the cyclist asked why he didn’t do so, Mr. Wells replied: “Because there’s a witness, otherwise I’d break your f***ing neck.”

The footage sparked a howl of outrage from cyclists online – many of whom reacted to the news that Mr Wells owns Brew, a chain of coffee shops in southwest London, by suggesting a mass boycott of his premises.

Speaking to the Richmond and Twickenham Guardian about the incident yesterday, Mr Wells said that he "would like to apologise for any offence caused".

“My behaviour was unacceptable and regardless of the situation, I shouldn’t react like that," he said.

“I fully appreciate that cyclists have as much right to the road as any other road users.

“I will be making no further comment at this time.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "A 50-year-old man voluntarily attended a south London police station where he was interviewed in connection with the incident. The man was not arrested.

Or in Summary,

"Everyone has seen me acting like a big **** and now they know who i am this could effect business"

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That's where he keeps picking his bike up to capture his ugly mug, capturing him saying what he was going to do to him. The motorist was quite clearly heard at one point to "Put your f*****g bike down then and I will"

:bowdown: First time, I took that to mean he wanted "queensbury rules" fisticuffs and wanted him to drop the bike... and put 'em up (to use old fashioned language).

I shall however concede. Think you might be right.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Or in Summary,

"Everyone has seen me acting like a big **** and now they know who i am this could effect business"

Looks like his red mist moment still haunts his business. This from ChiswickW4.com on 13th September, particularly loving the "all the rage" in the Title:

Brew Cafe To Open A Branch In Chiswick- Will the new cafe be all the rage with locals?

A branch of the cafe/restaurant chain Brew, whose owner was involved in a controversial 'road rage' incident, earlier this year, is to open a branch on Chiswick High Road.

The company has posted a board announcing that it is to arrive soon, and it is expected to open in late October in the premises formerly occupied by La Mancha. A refurbishment is about to start at the location.

They also hope to open a branch in Kew in the near future.

The restaurant chain is known for its breakfasts using unusual ingredients. Dishes include Turkish eggs served with yoghurt and chillies, dry aged steaks, and wood-fired pizzas. They also bake their own pastries and cakes.

Australian Jason Wells who is described as a Master Butcher, was involved in a row with a cyclist on Priory Lane SW15 which resulted in him being issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice for an offence. The angry exchange between the two men was captured on the cyclist's helmet - mounted camera and was widely covered in the media with over 120,000 hits on the internet.

Mr. Wells later apologised for his behaviour and the cyclist also said he regretted his own anger during the four-minute argument.

The Brew chain has branches in Clapham, Barnes, Putney, Wandsworth and Wimbledon.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The angry exchange between the two men was captured on the cyclist's helmet - mounted camera

Ha.... eat that [MENTION=1933]Yoda[/MENTION].... I knew I was right.

ha-i-love-it-when-im-right-bb46c.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hate to say it, but watch it again. He's either riding a very small bike or that's not part of the handle bars in the top right of the video. :whistle::wink:
attachment.php
You're clearly right. You also see the rider bending down in the car's reflection, while the camera doesn't move.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Why haven't you done it already then?"

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If this is what you can do to a Land Rover driver I think we should all abandon cycle-paths immediately.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here