Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We gave a very good account of ourselves...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hmm...I think we'll have to agree to disagree with the interpretation of that first statement then.

Yes, I do think CH is too defensive at times. I also think he leaves substitutions too late but that's just my opinion and CH is clearly the expert here so I would never use my little grumbles as a rod to beat CH with and I certainly would never go full Norwich and start to resent him. Just my guess but I think that most people are like-minded. We're just letting off steam but we all love Hughton and trust him as manager.
Oh blimey this is nothing more than a minor grumble, made all the more frustrating by the fact that it was all but telegraphed in CH's post match interview after Newcastle with his deference then towards Arsenal and the 'big 6'.

Do you think it was a) lack of effort;b) poor tactics; c) actually Arsenal are quite good...
I'm just a tiny bit titsy because I felt today was a very rare opportunity to get something from a 'quite good!' team and the Albion didn't really play in a fashion that would have made it happen.

In the whole grand scheme of things it's nothing really, certainly not on the level of some of those on here desperate to see the Albion fail.

The end result today was Lewis Dunk will now cost Arsenal an extra £10m, so it's not all bad!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I was undercover too and there was a guy sitting behind me talking about Whitehawk FC, wasn't you by any chance?

Was it this chap??

images.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh blimey this is nothing more than a minor grumble, made all the more frustrating by the fact that it was all but telegraphed in CH's post match interview after Newcastle with his deference then towards Arsenal and the 'big 6'.

I'm just a tiny bit titsy because I felt today was a very rare opportunity to get something from a 'quite good!' team and the Albion didn't really play in a fashion that would have made it happen.

In the whole grand scheme of things it's nothing really, certainly not on the level of some of those on here desperate to see the Albion fail.

The end result today was Lewis Dunk will now cost Arsenal an extra £10m, so it's not all bad!

I'll be honest, I've read and re-read your posts and I'm still not sure what your point is. You said that some people are creaming themselves to have a pop at Hughton but as I've already said, I think most of them are just letting off steam and don't have such strong anti-Hughton opinions as you are suggesting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Support immense again today, we stay with them like that, win lose or draw and we're going to do this.

Also what was the Davy Propper song aired on the concourse at HT? Big like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't think you can criticize any of the lads specifically today. Izquierdo maybe a bit off the pace, however he hasn't started a game for us in the Prem yet... But a 2-0 loss away at Arsenal is not a disgrace whatsoever. We also had good chances to score ourselves with the March strike and the Murray header. Overall, I think you have to give the lads a lot of credit especially Duffy, Dunk and Ryan.

**** me. If I'd read you post first this evening, instead of all the other bedwetting, red baiting, 'end of civilisation as we know it' tomfoolery, I could have died a happy man, avoiding delving into drivel so half-baked and patinate it has driven much of my large intestine to apoptosis.

Very good post and 110% spot on, and FACT. punk:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A game of contrasting periods for me. We gave them too much respect early on and went deservedly behind. Then we set Solly loose on them and started to get back in the game. 2nd half gave them far too much time & space again but we looked seriously good when Murray & AK came on.

Every player gave 100%, as did the fans, but it was a routine win for them in the end. A fully fit Murray would have troubled them and we seemed to select pace and then not use it.

Dunk, Duffy, Ryan & March the stand outs. Bong the big question mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It has to be said that Palace last season saved themselves by unexpectantly picking up points against the big '6'

Arsenal's team this season doesn't look as good as previous years, so yes, the last 15 mins where we really had a go should have been tried earlier in the game in my view.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A game of contrasting periods for me. We gave them too much respect early on and went deservedly behind. Then we set Solly loose on them and started to get back in the game. 2nd half gave them far too much time & space again but we looked seriously good when Murray & AK came on.

Every player gave 100%, as did the fans, but it was a routine win for them in the end. A fully fit Murray would have troubled them and we seemed to select pace and then not use it.

Dunk, Duffy, Ryan & March the stand outs. Bong the big question mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me that's a spot on assessment.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think the players are still scared of some opposition players. Hughton was trying to get the team to play higher up the field but they were very reluctant to defend any further out than the edge of the penalty area. Izquierdo worried me because he'd track Bellerin back but then started watching the ball and paid no attention to where Bellerin was.

My main frustration is that the midfield players are so reluctant to shoot. They'd rather pass back or square (and, rather too often, to an opponent) than chance their arm.

And there was one moment when Bruno could have tried to find a forward pass but turned and gave it to Duffy. He gave it back to Bruno, who was now closer to our goal and he gave it back to Duffy. Duffy passed it back to a Ryan, who hoofed it aimlessly into midfield where Arsenal immediately took possession. If we're going to give the ball away anyway, why not do it when trying something more ambitious?

All that said, it was Arsenal.

Last edited:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Very unlucky Brighton, think we deserved at least a draw. However sometimes you don't get the good fortune you deserve. Had Solly's blistering shot not hit the post who knows, we'd probably have gone on to win 3 or 4:1. However it was not to be and alas the mighty Albion come back from their travels empty handed but by no means disgraced, amen.

Sorry to be negative but that's tripe!! Arsenal didn't get out of 2nd! We had some great passages of play and I like the attacking intent but to honestly think we deserved a draw I'm not sure what game you were watching!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We looked like a newly promoted team finding our feet in the Prem trying not to get tonked. :shrug: It's a bit much to expect we go to the Big teams grounds and give them a real fright at this stage. Arsenal were cruising for most of the game but we fought well, had some good spells with quality performances notably from Dunk. On to the next one.

Spot on, some expect too much. UTA

theboybilly

Yeah thought given they hadnt played much they'd be out to prove themselves, especially Brown...... although early days for them both I guess

Brown isn't a No.9 and it showed. He was isolated but did his best I thought. As for Izquierdo there is a very good player there but his attacking instincts were stifled by having to cover Bong. I thought he did well. Stephens and Proper did okay. This was Arsenal away where at no time did I feel Albion were truly out of their depth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brown isn't a No.9 and it showed. He was isolated but did his best I thought. As for Izquierdo there is a very good player there but his attacking instincts were stifled by having to cover Bong. I thought he did well. Stephens and Proper did okay. This was Arsenal away where at no time did I feel Albion were truly out of their depth.
Brown was as isolated today as Tomer was v City, with identical results.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've seen this team produce much more, this season.
CH is playing reputations not teams, playing City in their current purple patch would be completely different to playing them first game of the season.
The same goes of Arsenal today, when the Albion had a proper go, they made it very uncomfortable for them, and it was fantastic to see, begging the question why limit it to just 2 or 3 occasions?

Showing just a little more intent, would have made for a very different game.

The ESPN match report thingummy agrees with you >>> http://es.pn/2fIGRVn

"Such was Brighton's passivity that chances like that and March hitting the post came as a shock, while also suggesting Arsenal could be got at. Hughton is not known for an adventurous approach, preferring to concentrate on defence, and such a constrained philosophy eventually cost him his job at both Newcastle and Norwich. If he'd allowed Brown a little more support in those early stages, perhaps allowing his defence a breather rather than being overworked by Arsenal's perennial pressure, then Brighton might have gotten far more from this game and perhaps a result to boost confidence for the long fight ahead."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The ESPN match report thingummy agrees with you >>> http://es.pn/2fIGRVn

"Such was Brighton's passivity that chances like that and March hitting the post came as a shock, while also suggesting Arsenal could be got at. Hughton is not known for an adventurous approach, preferring to concentrate on defence, and such a constrained philosophy eventually cost him his job at both Newcastle and Norwich. If he'd allowed Brown a little more support in those early stages, perhaps allowing his defence a breather rather than being overworked by Arsenal's perennial pressure, then Brighton might have gotten far more from this game and perhaps a result to boost confidence for the long fight ahead."

Not so sure that he lost his job at Newcastle in the same way as Norwich

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
We gave a damn good account of ourselves today! I was so proud watching the boys go for it undercover in the away end!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

We were driving home tonight from the Midlands and listening to the last bit of the newcastle match and then the chat afterwards with Ian Wright, who really seemed to talk a lot of sense, much more so than Robbie Savage. At one point they were talking about Liverpool's wayward defence, Virgil van Dijk and so on. Wright was saying that Liverpool do not have anyone who has a defensive mindset or is an out and out defender, which is where Virgil van Dijk would fit in. He then mentioned a couple of other similar defenders, including our Lewis.

He was also, towards the end of the programme. talking about the importance of organisation and defence, particularly in terms of dealing with the superstars and top 6 teams with special mention for Burnley, who had played this afternoon. But Wrighty singled Brighton out for special mention as being organised as well - the right way to do things.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Well match of the day didn't give us much!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Seriously, what do some people expect us to achieve when away to a side like Arsenal?

Arsenal were good with the ball, but they were excellent when they were not in possession. They pressed us so high, they never allowed us to settle anywhere on the pitch with comfortable possession. With this style / tactic our opportunities in the final third were always going to be few and far between.

Even if Arsenal didn't get out of 2nd, they didn't humiliate us. For me, it was an okay result and that isn't saying I'm happy we lost, it's just being realistic given the class of the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here