Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our support this season at matches

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Made me reflect on Mark Chapman's comment on MotD2 that it had a cup like atmosphere. I stayed for a couple of beers after, and we reflected that every win has a mini cup final feel to it. We've been spoilt at home for the last 2 seasons, but now every victory is rightly being seen as a big achievement in it's own right. The Amex really has risen to the occasion as much as the players. The North Stand, after much criticism in recent years (including from me) for split groups of singing, not necessarily in unison when the team needed them most, are like a transformed animal, a collective noise, #together, with the sole purpose of bringing the team home, saluting them well after the final whistle. The North led and the rest of the ground followed. It was a proud day in lots of ways.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Made me reflect on Mark Chapman's comment on MotD2 that it had a cup like atmosphere. I stayed for a couple of beers after, and we reflected that every win has a mini cup final feel to it. We've been spoilt at home for the last 2 seasons, but now every victory is rightly being seen as a big achievement in it's own right. The Amex really has risen to the occasion as much as the players. The North Stand, after much criticism in recent years (including from me) for split groups of singing, not necessarily in unison when the team needed them most, are like a transformed animal, a collective noise, #together, with the sole purpose of bringing the team home, saluting them well after the final whistle. The North led and the rest of the ground followed. It was a proud day in lots of ways.

I keep looking to see when MOTD2 has appeared on iPlayer because I wanted to transcribe Chapman's comments to Sidwell accurately.

He basically said that there was a real connection between Albion fans and players and although a lot of clubs say the same, it really was the case at Brighton.

He's right.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Was just describing the game to a colleague today and 'cup-tie' was the description I used. Both in terms of the flow of the game and the atmosphere. Every single point is to be cherished this season and the fans seem to get that too. I really think the Amex support realises their part in our season and stepped up to the mark. Every game is a proverbial cup final and it is thrilling to be a part of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I keep looking to see when MOTD2 has appeared on iPlayer because I wanted to transcribe Chapman's comments to Sidwell accurately.

He basically said that there was a real connection between Albion fans and players and although a lot of clubs say the same, it really was the case at Brighton.

He's right.

I was also reminded yesterday standing outside the East side with a nice pint of Harvey's in the warm afterglow of a fantastic Albion afternoon, watching kids get autographs of their heroes leaving the East Stand of how lucky we are that we still as a club allow this close interaction to occur. It happened before the game with Bong and Kayal walking round from the car park to the West Stand stopping for selfies etc. and of course as the players left after. This was highlighted previously when again outside the East Stand after the Man City game, a load of City fans were just astonished to see this occurring, to the extent that they also got selfies with Dunk and a couple of others! Made you realise not all clubs are the same or like ours. Sure, it is a different scale sometimes, but stood outside with my merry glow able to say 'great game Davy' as Propper strolled passed me, we're still very much our lovable local club.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We did ourselves proud again. Sang for 90 minutes despite having nothing back from the Arsenal fans to bounce off...it really is difficult trying to get an atmosphere when the home crowd is that dead. Loved the long, slow renditions of GOSBTS, the way we upped our game in the last 10 minutes and again at the end of the match and especially loved "We support our local club". I sang that with a lot of pride.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We did ourselves proud again. Sang for 90 minutes despite having nothing back from the Arsenal fans to bounce off...it really is difficult trying to get an atmosphere when the home crowd is that dead. Loved the long slow renditions of GOSBTS, the way we upped our game in the last 10 minutes and again at the end of the match and especially loved "We support our local club". I sang that with a lot of pride.

Fair play. Eaten any meat today? ???

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
We did ourselves proud again. Sang for 90 minutes despite having nothing back from the Arsenal fans to bounce off...it really is difficult trying to get an atmosphere when the home crowd is that dead. Loved the long, slow renditions of GOSBTS, the way we upped our game in the last 10 minutes and again at the end of the match and especially loved "We support our local club". I sang that with a lot of pride.

****ing morgue. The rumours were more accurate than I was expecting, they actually weren't exaggerating.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
****ing morgue. The rumours were more accurate than I was expecting, they actually weren't exaggerating.

I was lucky enough to be given a ticket, in the home section upper tier, by a couple friends who are Arsenal fans. It's no wonder there is no atmosphere, other than that created by our excellent away support, because my experience was to be surrounded by tourists. Next to me a couple of American women who giggled all the way through. To my other side were a couple of Japanese tourist who were very polite, but did nothing other than take photographs of other fans. Behind me were a group of Germans who spent the whole match chatting in German when not trying to copy and translate the Albion reportoir of songs. The only real Arsenal fans near me were a group of old boys who didn't even cheer when Arsenal scored.

I pray we never lose our soul the way Arsenal has.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I was lucky enough to be given a ticket, in the home section upper tier, by a couple friends who are Arsenal fans. It's no wonder there is no atmosphere, other than that created by our excellent away support, because my experience was to be surrounded by tourists. Next to me a couple of American women who giggled all the way through. To my other side were a couple of Japanese tourist who were very polite, but did nothing other than take photographs of other fans. Behind me were a group of Germans who spent the whole match chatting in German when not trying to copy and translate the Albion reportoir of songs. The only real Arsenal fans near me were a group of old boys who didn't even cheer when Arsenal scored.

Actually really pleased we can not expand the Amex, because I fear we would be the same. The Amex is a perfect size for us with enough real support to make a fantastic noise. Their stadium is very impressive mind.

I was thinking as I looked around playing there as equals and not in a cup game, that I bet at least a thousand of the noisey brighton fans that were there with me today were also in the away end against Wycombe wanderers at Adams Park having a sit in and chanting about wanting Falmer. We have come a long way people.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Totally agree, I was sat by the gangway directly next to the gooners behind the goal, no banter, nothing at all from them. Even when they scored the noise was tepid and given the size of the stadium and attendance distinctly unimpressive. Hordes of obvious tourist/casual fans and I really didn't expect it to be as bad as I'd heard but it was worse. Dreadful lukewarm support with no passion whatsoever. Contrast that to the Amex v Newcastle and I simply cannot wait for our next home game and some atmosphere.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Just couldn't believe how quiet the biggest league crowd in Albion's history was today. Credit to our support, with us it would have been a library

el punal

Just couldn't believe how quiet the biggest league crowd in Albion's history was today. Credit to our support, with us it would have been a library

Don't you mean WITHOUT us? Of course you're absolutely right about it being a library. If the 3,000 Albion fans hadn't been there all you would have heard is the whirr of the photocopier.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Nothing sums up the soullessness of the Emirates quite like the drones that sit behind the goals who pick up and wave those huge flags dispassionately when Arsenal score.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Nothing sums up the soullessness of the Emirates quite like the drones that sit behind the goals who pick up and wave those huge flags dispassionately when Arsenal score.

This. Exactly what is he f******* point of those huge flags?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here