Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rock Stories

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Many years ago in Wales we thought we had found some Inky-blue tabular anatase crystal in a cave. When we asked an expert on minerals he said it was a common blue Bricite. You can imagine how embarrassed we were.

I remember going on a trip to Bodmin Moor with my girlfriend (now wife) and her sister to find some Amethyst crystals at a disused China Clay 'quarry'.

I was hunting around amongst the white Kaolinite tailings finding very little, when my one of the girls asked me what exactly would it look like - I said "Small tooth like purple crystals, not big as it's been crushed".. to which she picked up a BIG piece with many beautiful terminations. "Like this then?!" She exclaimed. Imagine my embarrassment.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I was driving a cab years ago and picked up a couple of scruffy looking guys at Brighton Station, i had a Waterboys tape playing on the stereo and one of the guys asked me to turn it up, we had a good chat about the Waterboys, which i thought was great as not many people were in to them.
They mentioned they were in a band and were quite similar to the Waterboys, as they were getting out one of them handed me a tape and said to give it a listen, as i drove off i put it on noticing the label had the levellers written on it. I loved the tape but unfortunately the stereo loved it more and a few months later decided to eat it!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I attended the Queen free Hyde Park concert in 1976...

"Queen*live in*Hyde Park*1976*was a famous concert by the band. The concert took place on 18 September, during the hot summer of 1976. It was part of a brief summer tour of the UK by the band; they also played in*Edinburgh*and*Cardiff*on this tour.

The Hyde Park gig was a free concert, which drew in a crowd of over 150,000, which was one of the largest audiences for any concert in*London.[1][2]*The free concert was organised by*Richard Branson, an entrepreneur at the time.[3]

There is more than one audio source of this concert as well as a video. According toRoger Taylor, the drummer of Queen, the complete show was supposed to be shown on TV in early 1977 but was never aired. Since then, the footage has leaked out to collectors, though in terrible quality. Over the years, some of the footage has been shown in various documentaries and there are rumors of a future official release.

The rest of the day's music was provided by The Kiki Dee Band, Supercharge, The Rich Kids (not to be confused with Midge Ure's band of the same name), Broken Wreck Chords and Steve Hillage. Elton John did not appear duetting with Kiki Dee for "Don't go breaking my heart". She sang to a 2/3 life-sized cardboard cut-out of Elton instead."

What stood out for me was on early arrival - I travelled to London by train was that very few people were there but I settled down in a good spot with a great view of the stage. A few yards away under a tree was a person who I thought appeared homeless with a bike. He was fast asleep. By the time the concert started he stirred and looked shocked at what he saw. He set off through the hordes with his bike - I often wondered if he made it out of the park.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Many years ago in Wales we thought we had found some Inky-blue tabular anatase crystal in a cave. When we asked an expert on minerals he said it was a common blue Bricite. You can imagine how embarrassed we were.
Not Gneiss.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I was driving a cab years ago and picked up a couple of scruffy looking guys at Brighton Station, i had a Waterboys tape playing on the stereo and one of the guys asked me to turn it up, we had a good chat about the Waterboys, which i thought was great as not many people were in to them.
They mentioned they were in a band and were quite similar to the Waterboys, as they were getting out one of them handed me a tape and said to give it a listen, as i drove off i put it on noticing the label had the levellers written on it. I loved the tape but unfortunately the stereo loved it more and a few months later decided to eat it!

one of the Levellers was a neighbour, but they moved away sadly.

This isn't much of a story, but what the hell .... Late 90s I went to the Lewes Arms with my best friend. Dave Thomas from Pere Ubu was sitting at the bar. My friend told him we'd recently bought Data Panik in the Year Zero box set. Turned out we were all going to the Dripping Pan that afternoon

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I attended the Queen free Hyde Park concert in 1976...

"Queen*live in*Hyde Park*1976*was a famous concert by the band. The concert took place on 18 September, during the hot summer of 1976. It was part of a brief summer tour of the UK by the band; they also played in*Edinburgh*and*Cardiff*on this tour.

The Hyde Park gig was a free concert, which drew in a crowd of over 150,000, which was one of the largest audiences for any concert in*London.[1][2]*The free concert was organised by*Richard Branson, an entrepreneur at the time.[3]

There is more than one audio source of this concert as well as a video. According toRoger Taylor, the drummer of Queen, the complete show was supposed to be shown on TV in early 1977 but was never aired. Since then, the footage has leaked out to collectors, though in terrible quality. Over the years, some of the footage has been shown in various documentaries and there are rumors of a future official release.

The rest of the day's music was provided by The Kiki Dee Band, Supercharge, The Rich Kids (not to be confused with Midge Ure's band of the same name), Broken Wreck Chords and Steve Hillage. Elton John did not appear duetting with Kiki Dee for "Don't go breaking my heart". She sang to a 2/3 life-sized cardboard cut-out of Elton instead."

What stood out for me was on early arrival - I travelled to London by train was that very few people were there but I settled down in a good spot with a great view of the stage. A few yards away under a tree was a person who I thought appeared homeless with a bike. He was fast asleep. By the time the concert started he stirred and looked shocked at what he saw. He set off through the hordes with his bike - I often wondered if he made it out of the park.

I went to that too. It was my 18th Birthday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I grew up in the same road as Ian Collier one of the singers in Darts (The one who sang Daddy Cool). He was a few years older than me but occasionally I went to his house as I knew his sister via a mutual friend. This was quite a few years before he became a massive pop star. One day when i was there they were having trouble with their drains and the manhole cover had been lifted off. When I looked down into the void I noticed a perfectly formed stool, an image that remained with me for some reason. Years later as I watched him on Top of the Pops belting out the words of "Daddy Cool" the memory came back to me and I wondered if that stool had belonged to him. It's been over forty years and I'm still no closer to having that mystery solved. Perhaps I never will.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I grew up in the same road as Ian Collier one of the singers in Darts (The one who sang Daddy Cool). He was a few years older than me but occasionally I went to his house as I knew his sister via a mutual friend. This was quite a few years before he became a massive pop star. One day when i was there they were having trouble with their drains and the manhole cover had been lifted off. When I looked down into the void I noticed a perfectly formed stool, an image that remained with me for some reason. Years later as I watched him on Top of the Pops belting out the words of "Daddy Cool" the memory came back to me and I wondered if that stool had belonged to him. It's been over forty years and I'm still no closer to having that mystery solved. Perhaps I never will.

it was probably his sister's

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I prefer to believe it was his as it is probably the only celebrity stool that I will ever see, although strictly speaking, if it was his, it was a pre-celebrity stool but even that's more than most people can lay claim to.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

Maybe, it belonged to one of the sewage workers, so he could have a nice comfy seat while eating his egg mayo sandwiches during his lunch break :sick::ohmy::shrug:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I prefer to believe it was his as it is probably the only celebrity stool that I will ever see, although strictly speaking, if it was his, it was a pre-celebrity stool but even that's more than most people can lay claim to.

Maybe, it belonged to one of the sewage workers, so he could have a nice comfy seat while eating his egg mayo sandwiches during his lunch break :sick::ohmy::shrug:

I know a story about a (now) famous band and one of the "jobs" they did to make some money as penniless musicians .... it involved poo

gotta run

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Why is everyone so determined to crush my memories of my brief brush with fame (or pre-fame). I put it down to envy and the relative emptiness of your own lives.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

They were local my best friend from age 4 was a backing singer and told me stories of their gigs. IIRC they played the Dome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here