Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How do their goal records compare?

Fair enough. Murphy's scored 10 in 80. Didn't realise Skalak only scored twice (in 46). Two cracking goals though it has to be said.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Having read the posts on the Leicester "official match thread" after the game had ended, I think I would have preferred the dogs! So much negativity!!!!

Yes, personally I've tended to steer clear of this site after a defeat that might prompt excessive whinging. It's reasonable enough to expect it when the defeat is raw though. If you want sensible discussion, I think you have to wait a day or two before you can expect it.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
You're a clown then. What is wrong with using two games as a yardstick to whether or not players have struggled? Either they have or they haven't. We are perfectly at liberty to discuss whether or not Jamie Murphy is capable of stepping up to this standard, based on his performances so far. We're not all going to be clapping seals like you are beyond the point of embarrassment - see CMS for details. You think you're the voice of reason when actually you're just a bit clueless just moaning at anyone who dares to hold a negative opinion.

What I find most odd about this thread is - anyone who after watching our last two performances against City / Leicester - thinks Jamie Murphy has been the below-par player, deserving of these attacks and a dedicated thread... Just what have you been watching?

There are a number of players more deserving of genuine criticism - Suttner, Hemed/Murray, Duffy.

But the player who in my eyes has been our worst player on the pitch looking at the combined 180 minutes in the Prem so far is Dale Stephens. Getting caught in possession constantly, the move to take the ball off Suttner for City's first goal. Movement has been poor and has overall struggled as much as Propper (who I'm certain will improve - and don't feel it is fair to judge at this point).

Murphy on the other hand - has been one of the only players to make positive attacking runs, has genuine pace to get past the fullback and offers that more defensive wing option which going away from home/against the top-6 will be integral.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As far as I'm concerned, there is a big difference between suggesting Murphy looks like he might not be up to Prem football and deciding that Ryan is sh*t and that we should get rid of him.

I agree also.
Maybe I got a little too pissy about 'yet another one of these threads' just 2 games into the season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think you're missing my point...

Apologies, I must be.

This is a forum to discuss views, the fact that some think Murphy is good and others think he is average, surely is a discussion rather than coming out of the woodwork to slag them off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boik

You're a clown then. What is wrong with using two games as a yardstick to whether or not players have struggled? Either they have or they haven't. We are perfectly at liberty to discuss whether or not Jamie Murphy is capable of stepping up to this standard, based on his performances so far. We're not all going to be clapping seals like you are beyond the point of embarrassment - see CMS for details. You think you're the voice of reason when actually you're just a bit clueless just moaning at anyone who dares to hold a negative opinion.

You must put a lot of great book down after two pages then. Not everything happens instantly. Just seems pointless to try and judge something before theres enough of it to judge, but you obviously enjoy it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What I find most odd about this thread is - anyone who after watching our last two performances against City / Leicester - thinks Jamie Murphy has been the below-par player, deserving of these attacks and a dedicated thread... Just what have you been watching?

There are a number of players more deserving of genuine criticism - Suttner, Hemed/Murray, Duffy.

What have YOU been watching?
Duffy? Feck me, I think he's been brilliant in the first two games.

As per my first post I think Murphy has done okay.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

But the player who in my eyes has been our worst player on the pitch looking at the combined 180 minutes in the Prem so far is Dale Stephens. Getting caught in possession constantly, the move to take the ball off Suttner for City's first goal. Movement has been poor and has overall struggled as much as Propper (who I'm certain will improve - and don't feel it is fair to judge at this point).

Murphy on the other hand - has been one of the only players to make positive attacking runs, has genuine pace to get past the fullback and offers that more defensive wing option which going away from home/against the top-6 will be integral.
I don't disagree with anything you say, but there will be threads about those other players I'm sure, and you're spot on about Stephens and Propper - I'd quite like to see them both get some game time against Barnet actually.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy develops in this squad (the jury is out for me, but I like him). I notice he didn't make the recent Scotland squad, which suggests Strachan doesn't rate him...

You must put a lot of great book down after two pages then. Not everything happens instantly. Just seems pointless to try and judge something before theres enough of it to judge, but you obviously enjoy it.
As I say, there is a difference between offering an opinion based of what you've seen after 2 games, and writing a player off completely after 2 games. I am saying that I am all for reading people's considered opinions of a player's performance. Not so keen on people writing our players off as shit after 2 games, however. Using your analogy, I'd happily consider picking up that book again despite not enjoying the first 2 pages, because people with greater literacy than me have recommended I do so.

I'd rather read about players opinion than have all debate stifled by the dull right-on brigade on here.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Agree with every word of that. I think people are bringing their prior prejudice against Murphy into the discussion. I was at both games and thought Murphy played well. Solly was good against Man City, particularly in his link up play with Bruno but was fairly anonymous at Leicester. It's not uncommon for wingers to blow hot and cold but Murphy has had two good games. Before passing judgement it may be better to wait until we have a mobile player up front to whom crosses can be delivered. There really haven't been too many other options so far other than checking back and passing sideways.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
What have YOU been watching?
Duffy? Feck me, I think he's been brilliant in the first two games.

As per my first post I think Murphy has done okay.

For the most part - Duffy was solid. And in an attacking sense, he had 3 great opportunities against City.

He has also made several errors, none of which have been punished. So far.

I think he is going to need to be much more aware of his positioning, as he doesn't possess the pace of Dunk to help him out.

Just look at Torres goal for Atletico (yes a friendly - although Ryan was being torn into before the league had started).

The point is - there are certainly more deserving players of a thread about their ability to play in the Prem and remain in our squad.

You'll notice, that for all the players I have named. I haven't started a thread - and I haven't posted on any other player threads.

Why?

Because we're 2 games into the season, we still have transfer business to do and honestly, you can't judge this league until 10 games have been played.

I mean, jesus - Hull were 3rd after 2 games. About 4 weeks later, Phelan was sacked because they entered free-fall.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I don't disagree with much of that but I would ask when did Murphy last beat the full back and get in a decent cross. He doesn't do it anywhere near enough considering his talent but certainly there are plenty of players who have had disappointing starts to the season so no need for a witch hunt for any of them.

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
I don't disagree with much of that but I would ask when did Murphy last beat the full back and get in a decent cross. He doesn't do it anywhere near enough considering his talent but certainly there are plenty of players who have had disappointing starts to the season so no need for a witch hunt for any of them.

100% agree - it is, in my opinion his biggest weakness at present. He has a tendency to cut back in and usually pass back to the full-back. I'd really like to see him back himself more. I agree with other posters that this does seem to be a confidence issue.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For the most part - Duffy was solid. And in an attacking sense, he had 3 great opportunities against City.

He has also made several errors, none of which have been punished. So far.

I think he is going to need to be much more aware of his positioning, as he doesn't possess the pace of Dunk to help him out.

Just look at Torres goal for Atletico (yes a friendly - although Ryan was being torn into before the league had started).

The point is - there are certainly more deserving players of a thread about their ability to play in the Prem and remain in our squad.

You'll notice, that for all the players I have named. I haven't started a thread - and I haven't posted on any other player threads.

Why?

Because we're 2 games into the season, we still have transfer business to do and honestly, you can't judge this league until 10 games have been played.

I mean, jesus - Hull were 3rd after 2 games. About 4 weeks later, Phelan was sacked because they entered free-fall.

Don't agree at all re Duffy, positionally he saved us vs Leicester, the double block from Vardy for example.

If you look at the goal we conceded, Dunk had lost Morgan and Duffy had both players. I recall one error vs City, and perhaps the goal vs Athletico but you could also argue that Dunk should have come over as he was marking space.

I remain staggered you identified him.

Ryan, Stephens, Propper and Murray/Hemed have all started poorly, whilst Gross and Suttner were poor vs Leicester.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
I've seen Murphy play 3 times this year against very good sides and believe he is getting better by the game. All down to confidence.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Don't agree at all re Duffy, positionally he saved us vs Leicester, the double block from Vardy for example.

If you look at the goal we conceded, Dunk had lost Morgan and Duffy had both players. I recall one error vs City, and perhaps the goal vs Athletico but you could also argue that Dunk should have come over as he was marking space.

I remain staggered you identified him.

Ryan, Stephens, Propper and Murray/Hemed have all started poorly, whilst Gross and Suttner were poor vs Leicester.

I think the point being made was that we could all identify errors/indifferent performances by any number of players including ones usually immune from such criticism, whether it be Duffy, Stephens or others.It's been a tough start but there are certain players who have certain fans on their back from the off. Before deciding whether a player can cut it in the Premier League let's give the team a chance to come together rather than starting a thread which basically says 'I never rated Murphy and look how right I am in the two games against title favourites and previous league champions.' Seems like a particularly odd thing to do given Murphy has had two decent games. The alternative is to continue this angry trashing of our players but it's not a great look.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Christ on a bike. Let me put he question back to you, what the **** have you been watching?

I've very rarely contributed to bitching threads but what really gets my goat are people who don't just dismiss the criticism (which is fair enough), but in turn have a pop at a few more.

Murphy does not take players on, has not used his pace effectively to pass fullbacks and I can't even remember the last time he put in a cross. He is a good player but let's not beat around the bush, he has been absolutely woeful the last 2 games especially when you consider, in our current setup, he is one of our outlets and attacking options. Only Solly has managed to put any kind of fear into opposition defenders other than Knocky once he came on. The only thing you can say about Murphy with any degree of certainty over 90mins, is that he will cut in at some point and have a shot from 20 yards. He also gave the ball away more times on Saturday than your pick of the bunch Stephens by the way.

It's curious you feel it's ok to judge our championship players but not our new signings. Which of them have supposedly played at a higher level already? Sure there's settling in time, but our retained players have largely never played at this level and need as much time to adjust as the incomings.

Scapegoating players does my ****ing head in, I guess I should follow suit and deflect your criticism of Duffy/Stephens and have a pop at Bruno, who looked comfortable against city but questionable on Saturday. Woeful player is Bruno, needs replacing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the point being made was that we could all identify errors/indifferent performances by any number of players including ones usually immune from such criticism, whether it be Duffy, Stephens or others.It's been a tough start but there are certain players who have certain fans on their back from the off. Before deciding whether a player can cut it in the Premier League let's give the team a chance to come together rather than starting a thread which basically says 'I never rated Murphy and look how right I am in the two games against title favourites and previous league champions.' Seems like a particularly odd thing to do given Murphy has had two decent games. The alternative is to continue this angry trashing of our players but it's not a great look.

Yes and I understand all of this, but it remains a discussion which surely is the point of a forum?

It just feels to me that anytime anyone mentions a player, poor performance, level of ability or otherwise, there is a huge defensive mechanism that goes up from various posters.

I know scouts who have based a judgement on two games, I know others that use 7 or 8 it's all a matter of opinion.

Stephens as highlighted elsewhere was one of our best players for the last two years, so far he's been dreadful. It doesn't mean he's poor or rubbish, just means that a question mark is beginning to appear over him (perhaps).

Murphy on the other hand, I don't particularly rate, but Leicester's first goal aside has done okay.....

The fact that Duffy was even mentioned as an example is the contentious issue, and I was responding to the comment of him being "more deserving of criticism......"

It really is all opinion, but it does warrant discussion and that's why I like NSC [emoji2]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here