Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Positives from today game

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
We looked settled, organised and compact.

March looked awesome and Knockaert looked fit enough to play some part against the Moss side Saudis. If we get a striker in, we have the capability to trouble any side.

Ryan's distribution was good and he has got his howler out the way in a friendly.

Brown was a beast and Gross looked quality.

Quite happy with that. We were worth at least a draw.

Buzzing for next Saturday!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Stephens looked well off the pace today. Hope he's got it out of his system by next week

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Only change I would make would be Bong for Suttner.... I hate to say it but Bong looked far more assures in defence

Agree. signed was my biggest disappointment/ worry from that....other than a realisation of just how much work our central 2 willl need to do for the whole of this season...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Many positives. I think we gave them too much respect in the first half, but they were calm and assured - something you'd expect from a team who are one of the best in Europe.
March changed the game for us - far more direct and willing to run, which we missed with Brown (not really a wide player) and Murphy (didn't seem too willing to beat his man) and I thought him and Gross were superb - I must say I love Gross.

Ryan ballsed up the first goal, but he had a blinder before that and wasn't really at fault for the other two. hopefully that's just a blip.

We've given them a game and come through it (hopefully) unscathed. We know where we need to strengthen, so hopefully we'll see that in the coming days/weeks.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Taking sentiment out of it, Murray, hemed and baldock aren't good goal scorers enough for this level.

Sorry but I would disagree with your thoughts on Murray - for the game time he had previously in the Prem I saw him give experienced defenders a torrid time and he can score goals in this league - he just wasn't a regular starter following his return from injury. His intelligent and hold up play will prove invaluable to allow the likes of Gross, Brown, Knocky and March to feed off.

I very much liked what I saw of all the new signings today along with March and Knocky - particularly Brown who I'm glad we signed rather than Mooy. The biggest question is whether we can realistically accommodate Gross, Brown, Knocky & March in the team at the same time ? Am feeling very optimistic for the season ahead as long as the depth of the squad isn't challenged too heavily through injury or suspensions. UTA !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Dunk & Duffy are going to be big players again this season, don't think the PL will phase them, Suttner & Bong did a job differently, Kayal looked good until his knock, Stephens not quite so. Groß looks PL quality, Brown good technically, concerned with his commitment today, hope its different in PL matches. I came away impressed and with the impression we'll surprise a few

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Only change I would make would be Bong for Suttner.... I hate to say it but Bong looked far more assures in defence

What?

I thought Bong looked out of his depth from when he came on. Poor positional sense, always having to look to recover having been caught out. Never got forward to effectively contribute with the attack.
Hopefully wrong, but if he starts Saturday I would see me being very similar to a rabbit caught in headlights.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Nobody got crocked , we scored a couple of goals against the 5th best ranked club side on the planet !

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Decent result, considering I was expecting to get thumped.

A couple more signings (inc. Striker) and we should be good to go.

New signings all look great, GK fumble aside.

How the hell did we get here?? Bedwetters Anonymous could start a new chapter in Brighton & Hove.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
What?

I thought Bong looked out of his depth from when he came on. Poor positional sense, always having to look to recover having been caught out. Never got forward to effectively contribute with the attack.
Hopefully wrong, but if he starts Saturday I would see me being very similar to a rabbit caught in headlights.

This.

We seemed more vulnerable to players getting into the box or delivering balls into players from out wide once Bong came on.

Didn't seem so obvious when Suttner was on.

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
All the new boys looked very good, Bong seems on a level up from most of last season too. Brown looks awesome I thought, got a feeling once he's properly settled in he'll do some special things. March, Knocky looked brilliant, add in Murray and Baldock as needed and it is looking decidedly positive!
Only worry was Stephens but hoping he just wasn't fully fired up being a friendly. Hoping.
On a side note, if that's what home crowd advantage from a ref looks like can we have more please!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All the new boys looked very good, Bong seems on a level up from most of last season too. Brown looks awesome I thought, got a feeling once he's properly settled in he'll do some special things. March, Knocky looked brilliant, add in Murray and Baldock as needed and it is looking decidedly positive!
Only worry was Stephens but hoping he just wasn't fully fired up being a friendly. Hoping.
On a side note, if that's what home crowd advantage from a ref looks like can we have more please!

I though Bong looked ok too - showed great pace a couple of times. Was also involved in the build up to a couple of decent attacks. Stephens gave the ball away a fair bit but tough game against that opposition- Sidwell looked very solid when he came on.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
March, obviously. Perversely I think we will be grateful for his two long injury breaks as without them I think one of the big boys would have splashed serious cash on him and he wouldn't be here.

I thought that Gross and Brown looked like proper footballers, and was delighted to see AK back and full of beans.

The keeper kept us in the game first half with a string of more then decent saves - I'm hoping the first goal proves to be a one-off error as his shot-stopping and distribution were excellent otherwise.

Rosenior looked a better bet than Bruno on this admittedly short viewing - more physicality, pace and athleticism.

Not so positives:- Murphy anonymous, midfield two overwhelmed by speed of thought and action of Koke and Carrasco in H1 (better when Sidelwell came on, partly due to having March on instead of Murphy possibly?); can't see how we get AK, March, Gross and Brown in the same starting 11 without either completely surrendering midfield or asking Gross to be part of a three and taking away some of his attacking potential, isolating the front man even furthher - possible for games vs other relegation candidates that come down with little ambition, but not against the top 6-10 teams.
Suttner I thought looked ponderous in possession, and generally they got behind our fullbacks too easily other than when Rosenior came on.

Overall thought we did ok against one of the classiest sides in Europe, and started without our two first choice wide men. However don't think the way we lined up in the second half is an indication of how we'll start in the PL; some work to do on shape, I think.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Dunk & Duffy are going to be big players again this season, don't think the PL will phase them, Suttner & Bong did a job differently, Kayal looked good until his knock, Stephens not quite so. Groß looks PL quality, Brown good technically, concerned with his commitment today, hope its different in PL matches. I came away impressed and with the impression we'll surprise a few

That's surprising. I was impressed by his commitment. He was combative and never shirked a challenge. Always keen to get back to defend and his work rate was good.

That's my view from the West Upper anyway.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's surprising. I was impressed by his commitment. He was combative and never shirked a challenge. Always keen to get back to defend and his work rate was good.

Agreed, thought he gave as much as anyone else if not more. Looks to have sone good trickery about him as well, drew several fouls.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Ditto. I was in the West upper as well. Brown looked decent and full of energy. That late tackle at the end was clearly revenge on the Atletico player who crocked March. Good to see. As others have said, Ryan looked good other than the mistake. MOTM was a little bit steep though. I'm sure the Aussie has a sense of humour. Hopefully we can carry some of our second half endeavour into the City game. Let's give the money machine a game they won't forget in a while. We're coming for your boys Pep! Seagulls:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here