Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Council Election Results

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
.....and what does Martin Perry know about Hangleton and Knoll? does he live there? has he ever been there? does he live in Hove? Brighton? Sussex?

Probably done a whole lot more for Brighton and Hove than you have, does that count?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He's a person that has proven he can get things done - he'd have been a perfect replacement for Brian Finch to work alongside Dawn and Tony.

ta. Just not sure how good he would be moving from corporate to council. He did a great job in getting us the stadium but had TB's bottomless pit of cash behind him - apparently he got the club into some expensive contracts.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So effectively the Greens will still have a big say in what happens, Labour and the Tories will probably not want to work together so the Greens will still have influence. It will be nasty when DC's next wave of cuts hit.

I think it is more complicated than that because the Tories are in government. Labour would be better teaming up with the Tories than the Greens.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it is more complicated than that because the Tories are in government. Labour would be better teaming up with the Tories than the Greens.

The options appear to be:
-- Labour minority council
-- Labour/Tory 'grand' coalition
-- Labour/Green coalition

I favour the last of these, for the sake of Labour, the Greens and the city.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Can't help but feel Caroline Lucas will be secretly delighted with this result. Kitcat and his cronies have been utterly crap in so many important areas but none more so than rubbish and recycling rates that they were an electoral liability for her.

Given she increased her majority, not so sure we can characterise the council as an electoral liability (although it probably reduced it somewhat). I do agree that the rubbish and recycling rates leave a lot to be desired, as does the party's infighting -- they need to sort out their internal organisation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The options appear to be:
-- Labour minority council
-- Labour/Tory 'grand' coalition
-- Labour/Green coalition

I favour the last of these, for the sake of Labour, the Greens and the city.

I doubt option three will happen given Labours ( correct ) resistance to the Valley Gardens development and the stitch up over the i360. Also the Greens have been very vocal about Labour supporting an decrease in the council tax allowance. I suspect option one is most likely ( but then I called the GE completely wrong so don't listen to me ! ).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Ah but Labour won't want to be seen to be associated with the spending cuts ahead,they'd rather sit back and watch the Tories and the Greens bicker, and argue and pick up the votes from both sets of disillusioned voters next time round.

I just feel amazed for those on here who feel that the Tories would be Brighton's salvation, things were set to get far worse whoever gets in and that's not the Greens fault.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Given she increased her majority, not so sure we can characterise the council as an electoral liability (although it probably reduced it somewhat). I do agree that the rubbish and recycling rates leave a lot to be desired, as does the party's infighting -- they need to sort out their internal organisation.

The Green canvassers I had on my doorstep several times recently were all keen to put clear daylight between her and the council - as Ms Lucas has done numerous times in the press. This article is but one such example:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...above-green-partys-brighton-woes-9880649.html

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I doubt option three will happen given Labours ( correct ) resistance to the Valley Gardens development and the stitch up over the i360. Also the Greens have been very vocal about Labour supporting an decrease in the council tax allowance. I suspect option one is most likely ( but then I called the GE completely wrong so don't listen to me ! ).

A Labour minority council would work for them if Labour were in Government, but under a Tory Government I am not sure. A Tory Labour council would represent the city better overall.

The convention (supported by all three parties represented on the City Council) has been to allow the largest party to form the administration (Leader of the Council and Lead Members for all service areas). I can't see that changing, unless there is a major, major crisis that requires a formal coalition.

Lush

Mods' Pet
The sad fact is that, whoever is in power, they have some every unpopular decisions to make about how to spend a dwindling amount of cash on a growing population demanding better services in Brighton and Hove.

If you want to point the finger at 'wasted Green cash' on crazy road schemes, don't forget that the money the councils raises from parking/speeding fines HAS to be spent on the roads. It can't be spent on nursery schools/refuse collection etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ah but Labour won't want to be seen to be associated with the spending cuts ahead,they'd rather sit back and watch the Tories and the Greens bicker, and argue and pick up the votes from both sets of disillusioned voters next time round.

I just feel amazed for those on here who feel that the Tories would be Brighton's salvation, things were set to get far worse whoever gets in and that's not the Greens fault.

My vote is based on who has been helpful to me and have given me their time.

The Greens might side with the Tories if they feel that they are the better of two evils. It was the Tories and Greens that worked for the i360 whilst Labours objections were loud and clear.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It will be a Labour minority administration. The big issue will be budget setting.

The sad fact is that, whoever is in power, they have some every unpopular decisions to make about how to spend a dwindling amount of cash on a growing population demanding better services in Brighton and Hove.

If you want to point the finger at 'wasted Green cash' on crazy road schemes, don't forget that the money the councils raises from parking/speeding fines HAS to be spent on the roads. It can't be spent on nursery schools/refuse collection etc.

And a lot of the money spent on transport schemes in Brighton and Hove came in the form of direct grants from the coalition government. Thank transport ministers like Norman Baker and Susan Kramer for quite a lot of it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You didn't get the GE is badly wrong as I did. I had my first spread bet on it. Will not be doing that again.
My point is that I think the Labour party needs to do some serious soul-searching and, amongst other things, embrace PR which also entails being less tribal, and working with the Greens. My view on the Green council was different to yours, but we might agree that they need to start acting like a party in power (rather than an opposition), and this too involves amending their organisation. A period as a minority partner might give them an opportunity to start learning, and regaining credibility on this front. Because they were hugely assisted in the local elections this time round in that it fell on the same day as the GE, which won't happen next time.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thing is, now the Greens have finished tarting up the bits of town that their voters live in, and the 20mph signs everyone ignores have dried. perhaps the reduced cash could be spent on Children's Centres in the likes of Whitehawk, rather than middle class parks and designer roundabouts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here