Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stay up, or win the cup and go down?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The two are not mutually exclusive. Both would be very welcome.

If we do win the Cup and go down, we will be in a much better position than in 1983. We've got a bigger ground and a wealthier owner, for a start. Also, we'd have parachute payments - we might lose some of our best players, but, the worse we do in the league, the fewer people will come shopping. If we go on leaking goals, is that making Dunk more of a target for other clubs? No, it isn't.
Furthermore, we'd be in Europe if we won the final. That's got to be worth a few quid, plus it would make us a lot more attractive to ambitious players than we were in 1983. Somebody mentioned Shrewsbury away on a Tuesday night one week, and Seville on a Thursday the next - fine by me; a chance to rock up and POTG (at Shrewsbury) if I'm well enough on the day to watch a Brighton team with the quality to play in Europe (and be chasing promotion again).
Having said all t3hat, I still want us to finish above 18th.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Not sure how anyone can compare playing in the top flight to winning a reserve football competition which then qualifies you to play in a European reserve competition.

1st team football for me.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
...... and we're going up to win.... erm ......17th in the Premier League...... for Sussex by the sea.

Doesn't quite scan

I can't see the point of football if you don't try and win something when given the opportunity. Plus the fact that we would be in Europe.

Cup for me, we'll get another crack at the Premier League, especially with the Lure of the Europa League.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hang on a minute... I thought no one cared about the FA Cup any more?

That is what the big 6 and the media by extension would have you believe. I get why relegation scappers and promotion chasers push it to one side but surely the midtable clubs should be giving the cups their all. (i do concede that this season there is not many Premier League midtable clubs as most are in the relegation fight)

A poll would be interesting as it seems fairly even for the two scenarios presented.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That is what the big 6 and the media by extension would have you believe. I get why relegation scappers and promotion chasers push it to one side but surely the midtable clubs should be giving the cups their all. (i do concede that this season there is not many Premier League midtable clubs as most are in the relegation fight)

A poll would be interesting as it seems fairly even for the two scenarios presented.
And, to be honest, I think that's all a poll would show. We all know it's pretty even, so why bother with the poll? Would a 52% to 48% majority convince the 48%?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And, to be honest, I think that's all a poll would show. We all know it's pretty even, so why bother with the poll? Would a 52% to 48% majority convince the 48%?
It worked for Brexit :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do both. Where would morale be without these cup wins? We'll have Leo and Locadia now as well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Cup.
Struggling to get excited about the Premier league, bar match days, to be honest.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The FA Cup just represents 5 minutes of glory for me. I’d rather the club take another massive cheque from being in the PL. The last time we nearly did that, it took us over 30 years to get back again. Just because we have a shiny new(ish) stadium and an excellent chairman it doesn’t necessarily mean we will go back up again anytime soon

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The stay up or win the Cup poll

Seems to be about a 50/50 split on those that would take winning the Cup and getting relegated

Wondering if those that would accept it were there the last time it (nearly) happened.

I do get why some fans would rather win the Cup but having experienced the thrill of two FA Cup finals I would definitely not trade it again, even if we’d won, for a Premier League place next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here