Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Enjoy...lucky you!

Excellent gig - the first outing for the new album, and she was quite nervous, and stumbled initially on a couple of songs, but the drummer and bassist were really tight and it all hung together in the end. Overall really good sound, and included a few 'oldies' from Comfort of Strangers and Sugaring Season towards the end of the evening. Well-received by the audience, and I quite liked the venue (was the old Gardner Centre at Sussex Uni which has been reopened) - good sight lines and good size (similar size to Concorde 2") - not sure if it's going to be used a lot for gigs though.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Excellent gig - the first outing for the new album, and she was quite nervous, and stumbled initially on a couple of songs, but the drummer and bassist were really tight and it all hung together in the end. Overall really good sound, and included a few 'oldies' from Comfort of Strangers and Sugaring Season towards the end of the evening. Well-received by the audience, and I quite liked the venue (was the old Gardner Centre at Sussex Uni which has been reopened) - good sight lines and good size (similar size to Concorde 2") - not sure if it's going to be used a lot for gigs though.

Glad to hear it. I bought tickets a few days ago for her gig at the Kentish Town Forum in October. I can't wait.

I've been listening all morning to her new album. It's certainly a big change for the most part from Sugaring Season. The first three or four songs are a real hark back to her William Orbit collaboration, it was a pleasant shock to hear such upbeat tunes. The tempo does slow down as it goes down but it's never as blue as The Sugaring Season which although one of my favourite Beth Orton albums is definitely the most melancholy. As with all her albums bar Central Reservation I have found one or two tracks that I love instantly and the rest will no doubt grow on me with more listening. 1973 is one of those instant loves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axdhdiQQejc

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is working its way to be a contender for my album of the year.

(the Orange Monkey does sound like an Arcade Fire song though)

It hasn't had the recognition that it deserves. My excuse is that, having been extremely busy over the first few months of the year I didn't manage to buy much if anything, whereas I've had a bit more time of late, which has also coincided with a whole heap of quality releases: PJ Harvey, Tim Hecker, Imarhan, Parquet Courts, The Thing, Anohna and Melt Yourself Down. Radiohead are about to release theirs soon too. I've also found a couple of albums (Sons of Kemet, which is brilliant, and Fire!) that were released last year that I'm really enjoying. In short, she's suffering from a quality overload. It seems as though 2016 is surpassing last year's output.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thomas Cohen - Bloom Forever

The blurb from Resident describes his influences as Townes Van Zandt, Van Morrison and suchlike but I will be honest, I don't hear much of those but I do hear a lot of Suede in this solo album. It's a collection of his tunes from 2012 to 2015 and that period also covers when he lost his wife Peaches Geldof who OD'd in 2014. I've got to say, it's a very accomplished album and quite reflective in its tone which I guess is to be expected. It's been a perfect wind down album for this evening. This particular track, the title track from the album is as good a tune I've heard this year and it has a lovely guitar solo in there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQUuAaVKA0

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Some good jazz influenced stuff this month.

Melanio De Biasio has a new EP out. Blackened Cities. Haven't heard it properly yet but No Deal was my album of 2014, and she doesnt do too much, her voice is incredible.

Melt Yourself Down - Last Evenings, stripped down Algerian influenced punk funk, reminds me a bit of Rip Rig and Panic in places.

Pressure 75 - Meltdown. - Love this, again stripped down and got the funk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvAVdygFJ7U

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Some good jazz influenced stuff this month.

Melanio De Biasio has a new EP out. Blackened Cities. Haven't heard it properly yet but No Deal was my album of 2014, and she doesn't do too much, her voice is incredible.

The EP is wonderful, as is No Deal like you said. The No Deal remix album was A1, and this new EP whilst only about 24 mins creates a wonderful mood and consists of many sumptuous sounds. I think she is superb. Thoroughly recommended.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whitney - Light Upon The Lake

I think this is out on Friday on the Secretly Canadian label (one of my favourites), they're a duo formed from Smith Westerns (a band I'd not heard of) and occasionally Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I've been racking my brains all morning trying to remember who they sound like and it finally came to me - Avi Buffalo. It's a quietish guitar-led album, unashamedly pop with tinges of country-folk and it's pleasant enough but it will never set the world alight and the falsetto singing can make a few songs sound a bit samey. Overall I'd give it 6/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGKN6qiDqnk

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Whitney - Light Upon The Lake

I think this is out on Friday on the Secretly Canadian label (one of my favourites), they're a duo formed from Smith Westerns (a band I'd not heard of) and occasionally Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I've been racking my brains all morning trying to remember who they sound like and it finally came to me - Avi Buffalo. It's a quietish guitar-led album, unashamedly pop with tinges of country-folk and it's pleasant enough but it will never set the world alight and the falsetto singing can make a few songs sound a bit samey. Overall I'd give it 6/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGKN6qiDqnk

Very nice. This isn't new but it reminded me a lot of Frontier Ruckus:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Another thumbs up for the new Melt Yourself Down.

Also listening to The Painted Bird (a new ensemble playing John Zorn tunes) and I recently discovered the Canadian trio Big|Brave (but the album Au De La came out last year). They are on Southern Lord so that'll give a rough idea of their sound!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Have followed Melt Yourself Down through their various incarnations, and glad to see them proving popular. Two other albums worth trying, although neither are exactly similar, but the influences and roots (primarily in avant-garde jazz) show certain similarities:

The Thing Shake -- bass, drums, sax three piece with a raucous, hard-rock edge and amazing sonic sounds. Compelling riffs and developments from Mats Gustaffson and co.

Sons of Kemet Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do -- Melt Yourself Down's predecessor, Acoustic Ladlyand, featured Seb Roachford, who also plays with MYD's Pete Wareham in Polar Bear. Roachford is one of two drummers in SoK, with a tuba and sax player. Working with themes of Africa, post- and neocolonialism and black consciousness, the insistent percussive rhythms entwine impressively with the inventive brass with some outstanding tunes on this album released last year.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Have followed Melt Yourself Down through their various incarnations, and glad to see them proving popular. Two other albums worth trying, although neither are exactly similar, but the influences and roots (primarily in avant-garde jazz) show certain similarities:

The Thing Shake -- bass, drums, sax three piece with a raucous, hard-rock edge and amazing sonic sounds. Compelling riffs and developments from Mats Gustaffson and co.

Sons of Kemet Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do -- Melt Yourself Down's predecessor, Acoustic Ladlyand, featured Seb Roachford, who also plays with MYD's Pete Wareham in Polar Bear. Roachford is one of two drummers in SoK, with a tuba and sax player. Working with themes of Africa, post- and neocolonialism and black consciousness, the insistent percussive rhythms entwine impressively with the inventive brass with some outstanding tunes on this album released last year.

Cheers for heads up on this, there's a great scene bubbling away under the radar, bit of a punk sensibility in there, reminds me a bit of the early 80s stuff around Pigbag and Rip Rig and Panic.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Cheers for heads up on this, there's a great scene bubbling away under the radar, bit of a punk sensibility in there, reminds me a bit of the early 80s stuff around Pigbag and Rip Rig and Panic.

Would go along with that Pigbag association, although I do find it difficult to find links with other bands, as MYD are characterised by such an eclectic and distinctive combination of sounds, styles and influences.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Leader of Sons of Kemet is Shabaka Hutchings. He also plays in Melt Yourself Down and is in the Floating Point touring group. Tom Skinner plays drums in both groups as well. Check out their first release, Burn, too.

I have quite a few The Thing releases. I'd recommend Bag It and Boot. I love their cover of the nail will burn on Shake. They've done a few collaborations with luminaries such as Thurston Moore and Ken Vandermark over the years.

There's also groups like Troyka, Trio VD and Roller Trio who are at that cutting edge UK jazz scene. They're worth checking out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here