Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
My experiences mirrors both of your own.
Agree completely about the beers but perhaps with new equipment they have just been brewing their tried and tested recipes. The space also seems a bit too clinical, I love the idea and I hope they are successful and further down the line I hope other local breweries follow suit with their own taprooms, Brighton Bier I'm looking at you!

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
What’s the view of the new Holler Brewery and Tap Room?

My view is that it’s a nice space, the link with Fatton a Mano pizzas really good, beers are okay but nothing outstanding. From what I’ve heard they don’t have any brewing history which explains why I had never heard the name before and possibly why the beer is a bit average.

I wish them well though, they have a brilliant set up and infrastructure....hopefully the beer will follow.

I've had a couple of their beers, but not visited the Tap Room. I agree with your assessment, they're good-ish, and if they weren't small and local I'd be largely indifferent.

Looking on my Untapped account, I see that I had the Loot IPA in The Brooksteed back in the summer, I gave it 3.5 out of 5, and described it as "cloudier than a bank holiday in Worthing"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've had a couple of their beers, but not visited the Tap Room. I agree with your assessment, they're good-ish, and if they weren't small and local I'd be largely indifferent.

Looking on my Untapped account, I see that I had the Loot IPA in The Brooksteed back in the summer, I gave it 3.5 out of 5, and described it as "cloudier than a bank holiday in Worthing"

Think you’ve hit the nail there.

Like your description as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Worthing looks to have had 2 new venues in a week!

Beer No Evil down by Chipwick / Splashpoint is a bottle shop but does have a couple of taps to drink in. Not been yet but the owner seems decent.

Also a small craft beer pub (they say micropub but seems to have music) called The Old Bike Store, which is in the old bike shop next to the Cow & Oak, opposite The Egremont but does look purely craft.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Worthing looks to have had 2 new venues in a week!

Beer No Evil down by Chipwick / Splashpoint is a bottle shop but does have a couple of taps to drink in. Not been yet but the owner seems decent.

Also a small craft beer pub (they say micropub but seems to have music) called The Old Bike Store, which is in the old bike shop next to the Cow & Oak, opposite The Egremont but does look purely craft.

All good. And to think I opened up this thread with “Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already“

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Have been drinking this IPA the last few days. My limit is 3....actually 2, drinking 3 is foolishness really. £1.65 for half litre :lol:
44783297_10216807442353433_2072576012448694272_n.jpg

Last edited:

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
What’s the view of the new Holler Brewery and Tap Room?

My view is that it’s a nice space, the link with Fatton a Mano pizzas really good, beers are okay but nothing outstanding. From what I’ve heard they don’t have any brewing history which explains why I had never heard the name before and possibly why the beer is a bit average.

I wish them well though, they have a brilliant set up and infrastructure....hopefully the beer will follow.
Pretty much that, it's a strange one. Nice venue and quite different to other B&H bars but I don't head that end of town v often. Need to try more of their beer but I'm not sure i liked anything enough on first showing to make me keen to go back - would rather go to the Bison in the North Laine for a craft browse or the Albert for Burning Sky really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Drinking? Surely you should be rubbing it on?

That’s a Plato reading though Veg. They do that over there. It’s a measurement of what goes in at the start and is not always an indication of strength like an original gravity reading over here. Would still be strong but not 16%.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Seems unfined is the way forward now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Drinking? Surely you should be rubbing it on?

That’s a Plato reading though Veg. They do that over there. It’s a measurement of what goes in at the start and is not always an indication of strength like an original gravity reading over here. Would still be strong but not 16%.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

Think its 6.5%. More than strong enough for me tbh

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I was there before you on Saturday and had the same feeling. Good setup , the outside heaters work well, but the beer is pretty average and not much variety. If you don't like their beer then they don't have much else (one red wine, one white wine, limited spirits and nothing from other breweries). If you have an extensive range of beers then you can get away with only stocking your own stuff but in their case, they should invite another local brewer with a different range to help fill in the gaps.

Not posted on this thread before, but having spent a long afternoon in Holler last Friday, thought I'd chip in.

Went with a group of about a dozen, mostly not committed beer drinkers, unlike myself, and they were knocked out by the venue, we loved the fact it was semi industrial and totally unlike any other pub/bar in town. We tried Bunko, which my mate who is a lager drinker said was fab, Loot, Mr Best, Um-Bunko, Brass Hand and Heavy Lifting, and all were in excellent condition and tasted lovely and all my group found beers they really enjoyed, without them being too challenging, although for the dedicated craft beer connoisseur like some of you posting on this threat, I guess that you could say the beers aren't terribly adventurous. There were 6 keg and 5 cask beers, so quite a good selection.

The fact that they really don't serve wine other than one red and one white could have been a problem, but with the help of the staff we found suitable beers for the wine drinkers in my party and we ended up staying there for about four hours! It is a brewery tap, after all, so why bother with wine!

As the afternoon wore on the bar filled up so that by about 7pm the bar was rammed with young and old, male and female, all happily tucking into their pints.
The staff couldn't have been more helpful and we discovered that they were all trained to have some knowledge about the products they were selling, which was impressive.

In my opinion, a great addition to the Brighton bar scene and we will definitely be back soon. Well worth a visit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All good. And to think I opened up this thread with “Well, the craft beer revolution has definitely hit Brighton; two pubs already“

And one of the original 'Craft' bars in town, The Goose, after a couple of years of problems seem to be getting back up to speed with this being this weekends tap list. You really don't have to try hard not to drink macro brewery stuff anymore do you ?

45126492_1346684985470388_2016529085827645440_n.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Phew! Thank God, I'd barely get through 3 pints of that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We're from Brighton and called Lost+Found.
It's even better than I thought with Eebria as they take just 10% not 15%.

Only joined last week and we're getting 2 good orders per day so far. Generally bottle shops up north.

Distribution was always going to be an issue for us outside Sussex but then Matthew Clark rang us asking to take us on. That was a silver bullet to solve all potential problems.
I'll happily pass on the contact details of their head of beer buying if you like. DM if you want to know more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

[MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] are you guys still going? I had heard Lost+Found were stopping brewing, but can't seem to find the Instagram post anymore? Enjoyed a lot of the beers so I hope not

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here