Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking Football Fans

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
As I’ve smoked for over 50 of my 70+ years I find this this priggish ‘holier than thou’ attitude nauseating. So, what if I want to have a puff at half time – why on earth can’t I go outside the stadium to enjoy a smoke? I don’t enjoy cold lager or beer on a cold day and in any case, have something of an objection to standing in a long queue to get a pint, so where’s the issue? The health police are on fire in these parts and it is clear from the preceding posts that they could collect more unpaid volunteers from the Amex. That’s all very well, but they’re starting now on sugar (I think that they’ve done salt) and just you wait until they really get going on alcohol. The signs are there already, as they were with tobacco…

I think that you will find that the attitude of most non-smokers has nothing to a 'holier than thou' attitude, but a lot more to do with the fact that it stinks and it makes everything in contact with it stink (oh, and it endangers the health of everyone subject to the cloud of poisonous gas it generates but really, it just stinks).

As for why you can't go outside the stadium? Well, someone has done a risk assessment and cost benefit analysis and decided that opening the gates and letting people out and back in again opens up too much risk of clashes between rival fans on the road around the stadium, a terrorist bringing a bomb in, people who haven't paid getting in to the stadium and/or the cost to steward this is too expensive for the small minority that can't survive a couple of hours without lighting up.

Sorry if you find this "nauseating" but I find your habit nauseating and, now we are no longer in the 1950's, people who agree with me outnumber people who agree with you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry if you find this "nauseating" but I find your habit nauseating and, now we are no longer in the 1950's, people who agree with me outnumber people who agree with you.

This. Smokers are on the wrong side of history and have rightly lost the right to inflict their toxic mix of chemicals on everybody in their immediate vicinity. Double-edged sword re NHS to be fair, for sure their massive smoking stupidity tax helps fund the NHS, but then again, sends them into hospitals earlydoors and deprives their families of a much-loved family member. Hopefully a manky historical throwback that will be wiped out within a generation.

el punal

As far as I am aware no-one has died from sniffing piss or burgers!

I came very close to it in the West Upper bogs once. Someone must have had a seriously dodgy curry the night before and decided it was time to get rid of it whilst I was relieving myself of 6 pints of Guinness. My piss smelled of Chanel No.5 in comparison. A truly out of body experience in more ways than one. :eek:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Objection? I think the vast majority of us don't feel strongly either way but also don't see any big need. Whereas you seem to have a bee in your bonnet and are on a crusade. I can maybe understand why you feel the need for a relaxing smoke every few minutes. Chill brother.

Crusade?........Im a non smoker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here