Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Great Escape 2017

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Slowcoaches are on tonight at the Joker at 7:30 at the Alt. That's all I know, but I can't even make that.
I can't believe 6music have got involved this year, they must be scratching their heads trying to find anything of worth. That said, "**** you up" by Dream Wife was entertaining last night at Castle Street Gym.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
It was a bit miserable wondering around last night but I enjoyed The Sundowners in the Hope and Ruin and The Parrots at Bleach. Our friend who is 'curating' tonight normally finds some gems so looking forward to her selections.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I got soaked waiting for Douglas Dare, but he was worth it. Mesmerising voice.

Yesterday @ TGE;

Molly - 12pm - Prince Albert (Austria)

Decent shoegaze from a young duo. A few moments where they really nailed it. Worth looking out for.

7.5/10

\\\\\/////

Heart Hearts - 1pm - Prince Albert (Austria)

Sound decent on record (particularly Hunter Limits) but felt they were messy and overly busy live, was unconvinced by the vocalist, doing the alt-J vocal style that is horrendously overdone atm. Funny how much a frontman's performance can alter your view of a band, I really enjoyed them on record but was disappointed by the live show.

5.5/10

\\\\\/////

Beliefs - 2pm - Green Door Store (Canada)

Now we're talking. REALLY good young band. Hard to explain, somewhere between MBV, The Cure, Interpol & Portishead. Fantastic atmosphere of sounds, really nice muscular bass tone. Enjoyed and will look out for again, coming back in the fall apparently.

8/10

\\\\\/////

Douglas Dare - 5.30pm (well, 6pm...) - Patterns Downstairs (UK)

Small, unassuming chap with a fantastic voice. Just him and his nord piano. Found a very classy and polite way to tell the back section of the room to shut up after a couple of songs, which was well received and - fortunately - heeded. Set cut short due to fire alarm/power cut so only 5 songs, but worth standing in the rain for 30 mins. A highlight.

8.5/10

\\\\\/////

Klangstof - 9pm - Coalition (Netherlands)

Hard one to judge. The songs are strong, the band very tight, their sound was the most professional of any band I saw yesterday.

The singer almost completely ruined it for me. Musically they are similar to Radiohead's last few albums, creative indie rock that goes close to some really transcendent moments. But the singer was bizarrely gurning and seemed to be playing the gig for laughs with his "wacky" Dutch humour. If I was one of his bandmates I would've kicked him. Made the gig completely about himself and his behaviour couldn't have suited their mature sound less.

Oh also, more tossers talking very loudly facing away from the stage at this gig too, luckily told to "shut the f*** up" by a HUGE bearded bloke.

7.5/10

\\\\\/////

Could've stayed out for Fickle Friends and The Japanese House but energy levels dropped. Missing out today but back for more tomorrow.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Had a fantastic weekend alt-escaping.

The big highlight was 90's Radiohead tinged shoegazers Ulrika Spacek at The Joker, really looking forward to their new album now, the songs on their first were remarkably strong and that looks set to continue.

The Joker was strong all weekend - Gurr sounded like a German Sleater-Kinney, Her's were a wierdo pop two-piece who were a lot of fun. My mates went wild for Flying Nun label influenced Aussies The Goon Sax, though they aren't really to my taste. Dream Wife, who must have played 100 shows over the weekend are really good.

The Castle Street Gym show on Thursday was a great use of the space, if a little one paced. Ezikiel Doo were a new local band to me and a promising young shoegaze outfit. TEAR were a very accomplished London 4-piece in the vein of The Duke Spirit. Local hardcore types Negative Measures were vicious at The Richmond (nice to be back!)

I caught the wrong Blush on Friday afternoon at East Street Tap, expecting the Brighton all-female shoegazers and got London based lad-rock. The Parrots downstairs at The Hope are a Spanish Black Lips, plenty of fun. Local favourites prince vaseline then pulled off a lovely set there a couple of hours later.

I caught another two of my favourite local bands on Saturday afternoon; post-punk/shoegazers Red Deer People continued their upward trajectory at The Acid box showcase at Brighton Youth Centre and then a quick run down to see Penelope Isles (I reckon these are next to follow Royal Blood and Black Honey to bigger things) at St. Mary's Church, where the high ceiling was perfect for their Magic Numbers meets Deerhunter alt-rock. Lab Coast were beaten only by Ulrika Spacek in the final reckoning, playing a dozen, quickfire Guided By Voices esque numbers in their half-hour at The Hope. Australians Tired Lion were a great mix of melody and intensity. A quick visit to the Hub saw me catch an incendiary set from new Brighton noise-rock outfit DITZ.

After catching the aforementioned Ulrika Spacek, the final act was a frustrating set from local angry, rabble rousing young punks Abbatoir Blues, at the Echocamp showcase in The Richmond. Their inspiring anthems were beset by technical difficulties, not that it in anyway put off their significant local following from going wild.

I somehow managed to go the whole weekend without catching a Porridge Radio show.

Last edited:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

The big highlight was 90's Radiohead tinged shoegazers Ulrika Spacek at The Joker, really looking forward to their new album now, the songs on their first were remarkably strong and that looks set to continue.

The Joker was strong all weekend - Gurr sounded like a German Sleater-Kinney, Her's were a wierdo pop two-piece who were a lot of fun. My mates went wild for Flying Nun label influenced Aussies The Goon Sax, though they aren't really to my taste. Dream Wife, who must have played 100 shows over the weekend are really good.

The Castle Street Gym show on Thursday was a great use of the space, if a little one paced. Ezikiel Doo were a new local band to me and a promising young shoegaze outfit. TEAR were a very accomplished London 4-piece in the vein of The Duke Spirit. Local hardcore types Negative Measures were vicious at The Richmond (nice to be back!)

I caught the wrong Blush on Friday afternoon at East Street Tap, expecting the Brighton all-female shoegazers and got London based lad-rock. The Parrots downstairs at The Hope are a Spanish Black Lips, plenty of fun. Local favourites prince vaseline then pulled off a lovely set there a couple of hours later.

I caught another two of my favourite local bands on Saturday afternoon; post-punk/shoegazers Red Deer People continued their upward trajectory at The Acid box showcase at Brighton Youth Centre and then a quick run down to see Penelope Isles (I reckon these are next to follow Royal Blood and Black Honey to bigger things) at St. Mary's Church, where the high ceiling was perfect for their Magic Numbers meets Deerhunter alt-rock. Lab Coast were beaten only by Ulrika Spacek in the final reckoning, playing a dozen, quickfire Guided By Voices esque numbers in their half-hour at The Hope. Australians Tired Lion were a great mix of melody and intensity. A quick visit to the Hub saw me catch an incendiary set from new Brighton noise-rock outfit DITZ.

After catching the aforementioned Ulrika Spacek, the final act was a frustrating set from local angry, rabble rousing young punks Abbatoir Blues, at the Echocamp showcase in The Richmond. Their inspiring anthems were beset by technical difficulties, not that it in anyway put off their significant local following from going wild.

I somehow managed to go the whole weekend without catching a Porridge Radio show.

Saw Red Deer People at BYC. Really impressed.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Ordered my ticket for Saturday from Ticketmaster 3 weeks ago but not received yet but hopefully will eventually arrive. Shamelessly going to plug a band a mate of mine manages. The Blinders Hope and Ruin late on Saturday. Up and coming Manc band with a bit of attitude!

Caught The Blinders. Mental!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Highlights for me were Molly, Pixy, Confidence Man, Pixx, Drones Club, Liv Dawson, Youngblood and Laish (alt escape). All worth checking out. The Charlatans put on a storming set too.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

Stuck with the main event this year and thinking more than ever the Alternative is the way forward. Caught a handful of decent stuff- mainly the BBC introducing stage and bits and pieces in Latest Music Bar/ Queens Hotel. Came away thinking £60 was actually poor value as I could probably see 5 or so bands play full sets for that. And I have developed a rational/ irrational dislike to anyone with a delegate ticket hung round their neck holding an SLR camera with some ridiculous hand held device attached to steady it. Oh and if you want to talk all the way through a performance then **** off.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Stuck with the main event this year and thinking more than ever the Alternative is the way forward. Caught a handful of decent stuff- mainly the BBC introducing stage and bits and pieces in Latest Music Bar/ Queens Hotel. Came away thinking £60 was actually poor value as I could probably see 5 or so bands play full sets for that. And I have developed a rational/ irrational dislike to anyone with a delegate ticket hung round their neck holding an SLR camera with some ridiculous hand held device attached to steady it. Oh and if you want to talk all the way through a performance then **** off.
I spent quite a lot of my time downstairs at The Hope and some of the queues I saw for upstairs were insane. I saw everything I wanted to see with no queueing.

Having said that the alt-Escape could do with some more electronic music which is something I intend on remedying next year.

Very few landyards around as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I spent quite a lot of my time downstairs at The Hope and some of the queues I saw for upstairs were insane. I saw everything I wanted to see with no queueing.

Having said that the alt-Escape could do with some more electronic music which is something I intend on remedying next year.

Very few landyards around as well.

Going to watch Priests this week at The Hope and looking forward to the lack of queue amongst other things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here