Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No.9 Ashley Barnes

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
:bigwave:1 out of 3 ain't bad

Fair play to you, I was so far out on this one, I thought he could be fourth choice.

Champ_top 14 mar.PNG

Says it all really

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
the test is would you sign him when we get to the premiership?........................................................and my answer would be YES

Me too-he'd be well suited to Scottish football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apparently Barnes has caught the eye of both Palace and Newcastle:

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/story/31281...s-watched-by-newcastle-crystal-palace-sources

Under Gus, we won the third division title at a canter in one of the most enjoyable seasons we've ever had as fans. This was in no small part thanks to our two 20+ goalscorers, Glen Murray and Ashley Barnes, both of whom remain absolute legends in my eyes.

It is bad enough that one of them ended up at the Nigels. If the other one does the same, a little part of me will die.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Burnley won't be selling as Barnes is a big favourite of Dyche's and has 2 years left on his contract.

Barnes was the first cash signing by Dyche after getting Heaton, Dave Jones and Arfield on frees.

I think most Burnley fans would be horrified if Barnes was sold to a potential relegation rival like Newcastle or Palace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Burnley won't be selling as Barnes is a big favourite of Dyche's and has 2 years left on his contract.

Barnes was the first cash signing by Dyche after getting Heaton, Dave Jones and Arfield on frees.

Glad you posted this. I was (based on far less knowledge of Dyche) about to write much the same.

From everything we DO know about SD, and the way Burnley's team play, you'd assume that he absolutely LOVES Ash.

He is the living embodiment of everything Dyche wants from his players.

Sadly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think most Burnley fans would be horrified if Barnes was sold to a potential relegation rival like Newcastle or Palace.

This is pretty much what I thought. Barnes has been good for Burnley, and Burnley have been good for Barnes. Certainly I know that Ashley and his wife are very happy up there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Glad you posted this. I was (based on far less knowledge of Dyche) about to write much the same.

From everything we DO know about SD, and the way Burnley's team play, you'd assume that he absolutely LOVES Ash.

He is the living embodiment of everything Dyche wants from his players.

Sadly.

Yep, certainly Ash will never stop running, and will give everything for the cause, both physically and . . . verbally.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The ongoing vilification and re-writing of history on here is pitiful.

It was only a few weeks ago that Tomer Hemed finally overtook Barnes as the all-time leading scorer for the club in the Amex era.

Barnes was a young, strong, tenacious forward, played out of position by Gus in the Championship, who still put in a shift almost every single game - more so than others. He could be silly and petulant, but then, so could many others, including KLL, Knockaert, Dunk et al, and the screams for their banishment to Hellhurst is a bit on the thin side.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Barnes was a young, strong, tenacious forward, played out of position by Gus in the Championship, who still put in a shift almost every single game - more so than others. He could be silly and petulant, but then, so could many others, including KLL, Knockaert, Dunk et al, and the screams for their banishment to Hellhurst is a bit on the thin side.

This is why he got some criticism and I am willing to say I was one of them. I had no doubt about his football ability. What I found infuriating was his petulance, constantly moaning at referees (including tripping one up), diving at times and constantly looking like he was on the edge of a red card, I think he actually got a red card once after being back for one or two games since the previous one. I like him as a player but some of the criticism was warranted and justified if you ask me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This is why he got some criticism and I am willing to say I was one of them. I had no doubt about his football ability. What I found infuriating was his petulance, constantly moaning at referees (including tripping one up), diving at times and constantly looking like he was on the edge of a red card, I think he actually got a red card once after being back for one or two games since the previous one. I like him as a player but some of the criticism was warranted and justified if you ask me.

A criticism that could be levelled at, say, Spanish Dave (diving and rolling around) or petulance (KLL) or Dunk or Stephens (always on the edge of a red card).

I saw a player who put in a shift when others in the team really didn't at times.

The petulance card is over-played, especially if you compare it to some others in the team.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Barnes is about a 4-8 goals a season player in the premier league.

I'm not sure our strikers will get that many.

TH may surprise a few

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here