Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shortest Albion careers. One game wonders!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Emeka Ifejiagwa - he looked quality. On loan I think. Almost took a steward's head off with a shot that went just wide. I'll never forget that game. Got soaked in away end. So wet, the ball didn't bounce at the lower side of the pitch.

he also played when we beat Hartlepool 3-2 at Gillingham. Didn't he take the long throw ins at Barnet?

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
What about Gary Elphck, Tommy's brother, proper shite. Only remember seeing him play once and that was getting sent off away at Reading in the FA Cup.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Terry Streeter came on as sub at Notts County away in the late nineties.

Also Danny Davis around the same time but he may have come on as sub more than once.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I only saw Lee Hendrie play for us once at Withdean.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I only saw Lee Hendrie play for us once at Withdean.

You'd have seen him as many as four times at Withdean - eight in total.

It's interesting - as a sideshow to this thread - which players overlapped with which, given that we all have a notion as to which player/squad was about at any given time. For example, I associated Sebastien Carole and Lee Hendrie's time here with a much earlier Albion incarnation. But no, Hendrie's debut was as a sub in a side which was...

Brezovan
El-Abd
Painter
Elphick
Calderon
Carole (Hendrie, 75)
Crofts
Dicker (Virgo, 86)
Bennett
Navarro
Murray (Barnes, 71)

Subs: Smith, Cox, Hoyte, Walker

...largely the nucleus of the team which saw us win the Third Division the following season.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nice. Had forgotten all about Chamberlain. Wonder if he is still playing? Couldn't find any stats past 2010 where he had a stint at Lewes apparently.

Scott Chamberlain was the first players kit I sponsored, in his last season with us. I think he went on to play for Bognor for some time.

I also remember Lee Johnsons game for us, against Cardiff in the JPT at Withdean. He looked pretty handy to me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Excellent!

He should have been on my list, as I was at that. Away to Southampton, the day McGhee threw Michel (and Knight) off the coach!

I believe I have his match shirt from that game, an all white job with Palookaville sponsor.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
How about the Orient v Brighton match (Russell Slade's first ever game) for a whole host of one-game players.

Gary Borrowdale? Andersen in goal? Did Matt Heath play many games?

2581g69.jpg

Matt Heath played six League games, even scoring once away at Leyton Orient.
Borrowdale made 12 appearances, one of which as sub.
Mikkel Andersen made 5 appearances.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
For the oldies I suggest Ken Blackburn. A striker in the Joe Gatting mould. I recall the ball hit him on the shoulder in his only match but went in so in effect 1 game and 1 goal lol.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Geoff Pitcher played more than 1 game and I am not sure if he ever scored (you may be thinking of Graham Barrett who scored once which was a penalty but also unfortunately stunk up more than 1 game for us) , and Lee Johnson's goal was from open play in the Football League Trophy against Cardiff.

Geoff Pitcher played 10 league games for the Albion.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
You'd have seen him as many as four times at Withdean - eight in total.

It's interesting - as a sideshow to this thread - which players overlapped with which, given that we all have a notion as to which player/squad was about at any given time. For example, I associated Sebastien Carole and Lee Hendrie's time here with a much earlier Albion incarnation. But no, Hendrie's debut was as a sub in a side which was...

Brezovan
El-Abd
Painter
Elphick
Calderon
Carole (Hendrie, 75)
Crofts
Dicker (Virgo, 86)
Bennett
Navarro
Murray (Barnes, 71)

Subs: Smith, Cox, Hoyte, Walker

...largely the nucleus of the team which saw us win the Third Division the following season.

Blimey, he obviously made a big impression on me.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There was the game in the first season at the Amex when we played Wrexham and we had quite a few injuries, seem to remember quite a few development squad players playing that day, Anton Rodgers, Roland Bergkamp?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here