Middlesbrough v BHA

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
free pie and a pint ??
Perfect-if only Middlesbrough's catering chumps ensure there is enough food (and staff) to handle the obvious demand for free food.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
45-1 t o be picky (or 1 in 46)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/some-fixture-questions-answered

We were then shown the first two and last two sets of games for each league as well as the Christmas and Easter holiday games to identify any obvious problems. This is, in itself, instructive as an attempt to change any single fixture will usually affect around 4 other games and hence 8 other teams. On the one we examined we decided the alternative was worse overall than the original.

I guess us having to go to Teeside was deemed the lesser of two evils.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Am I right in thinking that if the fixtures are drawn completely at random then the probability of drawing the same team as last year at the same venue for the final fixture is 2,116 - 1?

Mathematicians?

Oh wait. Is it 46-1? duh.

But is the probability of drawing the furthest fixture away for two consecutive seasons 2,116-1?

I think it depends on how thorough you want to be. 1 in 46 is the most basic, but it doesn't account for the fact that it is the last of a set of fixtures of a large number of varieties. For more accuracy, you would have to work out the number of different possible fixture line ups. Then work out what percentage of them feature Middlesbrough away as the final fixture.

It has been a while since I've done probabilities, but I believe (and I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct this)...

There are 46 fixtures - 23 teams home and away, so there are 46! (46 x 45 x 44 x 43 x 42... - it's in the region of 5,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different orders that our fixture list could possibly be). But that would allow for fixture lists like 'leeds home, leeds away, blackburn home, blackburn away, middlesbrough home, middlesbrough away,' or every team at home, then every team away, so you'd have to decide if you're looking at simply what are the chances of all the combinations available we get one that ends specifically with Middlesbrough away, or if you want to apply the restrictions the schedulers put (preventing too many home games in a row, tried to play all teams at least once before any reverse fixtures - (this isn't often followed exactly, there are often one or two teams we haven't faced by the time we get our first return fixtures) and so on). If you do that, you also have to decide if you want to then factor in the impact of pairing teams so one is away when the other is home, or vice versa.

Once you've worked out how many different orders there are that you are counting, you then have to work out how many of them end with Middlesbrough away. Then you can work out the odds.

In short, to accurately work out the odds of middlesbrough away as the final game would require a professional.

But, they aren't the only game that is a repeat.

Last season's 20th game was away to Derby, this season's 20th game is away to Derby.

Also, if you line up relegate teams to promoted teams (i.e. 1st place - 3rd bottom, 2nd place - second bottom, play off winner - bottom) Wigan = MK Dons. We faced Wigan at home in our 16th game last season, and face MK Dons at home in our 16th game this season.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I think it depends on how thorough you want to be. 1 in 46 is the most basic, but it doesn't account for the fact that it is the last of a set of fixtures of a large number of varieties. For more accuracy, you would have to work out the number of different possible fixture line ups. Then work out what percentage of them feature Middlesbrough away as the final fixture.

It has been a while since I've done probabilities, but I believe (and I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct this)...

There are 46 fixtures - 23 teams home and away, so there are 46! (46 x 45 x 44 x 43 x 42... - it's in the region of 5,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different orders that our fixture list could possibly be). But that would allow for fixture lists like 'leeds home, leeds away, blackburn home, blackburn away, middlesbrough home, middlesbrough away,' or every team at home, then every team away, so you'd have to decide if you're looking at simply what are the chances of all the combinations available we get one that ends specifically with Middlesbrough away, or if you want to apply the restrictions the schedulers put (preventing too many home games in a row, tried to play all teams at least once before any reverse fixtures - (this isn't often followed exactly, there are often one or two teams we haven't faced by the time we get our first return fixtures) and so on). If you do that, you also have to decide if you want to then factor in the impact of pairing teams so one is away when the other is home, or vice versa.

Once you've worked out how many different orders there are that you are counting, you then have to work out how many of them end with Middlesbrough away. Then you can work out the odds.

In short, to accurately work out the odds of middlesbrough away as the final game would require a professional.

But, they aren't the only game that is a repeat.

Last season's 20th game was away to Derby, this season's 20th game is away to Derby.

Also, if you line up relegate teams to promoted teams (i.e. 1st place - 3rd bottom, 2nd place - second bottom, play off winner - bottom) Wigan = MK Dons. We faced Wigan at home in our 16th game last season, and face MK Dons at home in our 16th game this season.

Busy day at work?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here