Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Shirley most leavers expected a change in immigration if leave won.

I think you will find all those claiming to be omniscient types are on your side of the fence .. tragically in constant danger of disappearing up their own backsides. Speaking of which .. your hypothesis is either entirely subjective or speculative (fact free) see project fear. Meanwhile the other section of remoaners insist no deal won't and never was going to happen so we will carry on much as before .. so nothing to worry about?

From the man who, a couple of months back, thought that a 'no deal' would result in an extension of EU membership on current terms :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Care to explain why that is not the case currently when entering countries that require you to have a visa?

I can feel you're going to cite some idiot suggestion such Russia or Iran here given your track record. It already works like that for entry to the UK and the USA. I believe it works like that for visa holders to most EU member states as well.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Reaching end game now. Parliament won't pass a no deal Brexit and it doesn't look like Maybots nutters are gonna allow her to leave the Uk in the customs union in order to fix the Ireland problem, and allow her to negotiate a workable deal.

Tick-tock indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45859282

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reaching end game now. Parliament won't pass a no deal Brexit and it doesn't look like Maybots nutters are gonna allow her to leave the Uk in the customs union in order to fix the Ireland problem, and allow her to negotiate a workable deal.

Tick-tock indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45859282
How does Parliament stop a *no deal*, though ?

They only get a 'meaningful' vote on a deal. No deal, no vote.

The only way is if there is enough MPs to pass a no confidence vote, and initiate a General Election. Not sure that is very likely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't forget the charming Arlene too.

I don't really have a problem with Arlene (other than all the obvious stuff).
She was handed all the power by May's 'back me or sack me' election.

We all knew she'd use it and she'd be a bloody idiot not too.

This is just the upshot of getting into bed with a lunatic.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
As if this whole Brexit thing wasn't bad enough we've now lost a top linguist to those nasty EU buggers!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/14/top-linguist-quits-uk-over-brexit-bad-atmosphere

Though this point he makes about the legacy of Empire is quite interesting:

The question of what it means to be British would, he said, remain fractured because “we have never done what Germany did and talk about the legacy of empire, about the terrible things this country has done in the world. That the majority of people in the UK think the British empire was a force for good is terrifying”.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As if this whole Brexit thing wasn't bad enough we've now lost a top linguist to those nasty EU buggers!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/14/top-linguist-quits-uk-over-brexit-bad-atmosphere

Though this point he makes about the legacy of Empire is quite interesting:

The question of what it means to be British would, he said, remain fractured because “we have never done what Germany did and talk about the legacy of empire, about the terrible things this country has done in the world. That the majority of people in the UK think the British empire was a force for good is terrifying”.

i hope he has discussion with his new Spanish countrymen about legacy of empire, sure thats a good ice breaker.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
How does Parliament stop a *no deal*, though ?

They only get a 'meaningful' vote on a deal. No deal, no vote.

The only way is if there is enough MPs to pass a no confidence vote, and initiate a General Election. Not sure that is very likely.

May must make a statement to MPs by 21 January if no Brexit deal has been reached. The Commons would then be given the opportunity to discuss a motion and then vote on the government’s plans.

Though this would not be legally binding (the debate would be ‘neutral’), it would carry huge resonance. The government would be challenged to permit a non-neutral motion, and Labour could table its own. The government, with nowhere to go other than a catastrophic no deal, would be pressured in the direction of a further public consultation, either a referendum or an election. The EU and its members would almost certainly grant an article 50 stay of execution to let this take place.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No deal or Remain referendum is the only way out of this.

I'd say the only way out of this was a referendum along these lines:

a) Northern Ireland remains in the EU until we can agree a border solution, but Britain exits with no deal
b) we remain

The simple fact is that we cannot leave the EU without a solution to the Irish border, because that is tantamount to unilaterally ripping up the Good Friday Agreement. It's not like Brexit negotiators have had no time to resolve this, but they've failed.

I don't care what pastafarian says, democracy is clearly best served going back to the people with remain still on the table after two years of absolute shambles.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't believe the Government would allow no deal as it would take years to implement and it's impact on them as a party would be too huge and would put them out of power for years, possibly generations.

Chequers is obviously being changed to 'stay in the Customs Union, but not indefinitely'. (We can't put a date on it but it definitely won't be indefinitely)

or

Some sort of vote, either GE or referendum.

It's just that this situation seems to have come as a complete surprise. If only someone could have seen this coming and prepared for it ?

or at least read the signs

shitcreek.gif

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This thread is worth a read if you think No Deal is an option.

[tweet]1051411763680473090[/tweet]

Click tweet for full thread.

Not one single person who is advocating 'No deal', least of all the rabid brexiters on this thread, will read any of that. They have no wish to be educated. Why would they? For them ego and ideology is way more important than fact.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Apparently diesel keeps in jerry cans for between 6 months and a year ( unleaded petrol slightly less ) so almost time to start gradually stocking up now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here