Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Network Adaptors

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I went onto and tried that site but came unstuck with the entry for the update date as I posted an approx date, as I thought, and it came up with nothing found and also I wasnt sure of the keyword to insert. Rather than download anything to the usb I was hoping to do it straight to the pc. I can take the usb back to the Laptop Shop and ask them to update it but dont want Io get the same problem of it cutting out.every so often. The time that it takes for me to do this is not a problem and I would rather that than spend £100.

You aren’t downloading anything to the USB, what you are downloading is the driver that enables the USB adapter to work on your laptop. If you don’t know the manufacturer of the USB adapater then you’ll be basically stuck as you’ll need to download the drivers from their website. Drivers are installed into the operating system not onto usb devices.

On the Toahiba site you don’t need to enter more than the top 4 options about the model of your laptop, that will display all available drivers, you should then look through for WiFi ones but like I said in previous posts if the WiFi card inside the laptop isn’t functional then a driver download won’t fix the problem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem is if you are trying to download the drivers for the usb wireless adapter then Toshiba won't be able to help you as it's not their product. If you are trying to download drivers for the internal wireless card then the Toshiba website would the best starting point.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/support/drivers/laptops/

If there is an issue with the card and it's no longer functioning then the install of the drivers is likely to fail as it won't be able to find compatible hardware during the installation process.

Many thanks for your advice. I went into that site and as you suggested just entered the firt 4 and it then downloaded all of the wireless connections. Whilst it didnt allow the internet from within the pc it did allow the USB adaptor to work without cutting out , so all is well again now,.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Many thanks for your advice. I went into that site and as you suggested just entered the firt 4 and it then downloaded all of the wireless connections. Whilst it didnt allow the internet from within the pc it did allow the USB adaptor to work without cutting out , so all is well again now,.

Good news BG. We can all relax now��

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps. Suspect a few were hoping his internet access was going to be properly knackered for months - opportunity missed perhaps

‘Try typing ‘format c:’ and when it says are you sure, type ‘y’

[emoji23][emoji23]

Good news for both me and my grandaughters as it is the one that she uses but the bad news for many is that mine is still working perfectly.:lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am now trying to install windows 7 on an old Acer with windows XP that I leave sat on the side and only use for writing letters but it is missing a file for installing from the disc. wbemcomn.dll which can be downloaded from Microsoft but unfortunately the laptop is connected to the internet via wireles but I cant get it to come up to use but no doubt Google will tell me how.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I am now trying to install windows 7 on an old Acer with windows XP that I leave sat on the side and only use for writing letters but it is missing a file for installing from the disc. wbemcomn.dll which can be downloaded from Microsoft but unfortunately the laptop is connected to the internet via wireles but I cant get it to come up to use but no doubt Google will tell me how.

Oh no, please god, no more torture :nono::eek::mad::down::ohmy::glare::cry::cry::shootself:wozza::(:facepalm::tumble::laugh:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

0f94ed0ed6d59c954c38dcde2fd98e2e.gif

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Latest update is that the number Toshiba e mailed to me to call is not available as it is 800 number so I thought that it may be a misprint so tried 0800 but that is not recognised.
compared the n
So went into Device Manager - network adaptor on another laptop that is working (mine) and compared the adaptors and the ones missing on the affected laptop (granddaughters) are Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
" " ( Recomm Protocol TDI)

Wouldnt think that we need them but also missing is :

Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adaptor; checked that out and it is available for a Lenovo but cannot find out if it is available/needed or can be used on a Toshiba Satellite C50

Use Skype and you can call 1-800 numbers free of charge.

D

Deleted member 22389

Have you thought about installing a Linux distribution if your only going to be writing letters and using the internet. Your get much better performance out of your old laptop that way. Good luck with the upgrade.

D

Deleted member 22389

Perhaps. Suspect a few were hoping his internet access was going to be properly knackered for months - opportunity missed perhaps

‘Try typing ‘format c:’ and when it says are you sure, type ‘y’

[emoji23][emoji23]

That should do the trick. 😁

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have you thought about installing a Linux distribution if your only going to be writing letters and using the internet. Your get much better performance out of your old laptop that way. Good luck with the upgrade.

No I havent as I know even less about Linux or how to load it to my pc.

I bought a windows 7 repair and installation disc so far so good and it installed Windows 7, so the screen says, but when I switch on and try to open it 2 messages come up

1. Windows Explorer failed close program
2. Windows Explorer failed seek advice on line later, close program.

So which ever the program closes and doesnt proceed further which is very frustrating. I have looked on line but cannot find a solution but aI did see that I can link this old computer to mine, which is Windows 10 via ethernet cable. Could I do this and locate Windows Explorer on my laptop and copy it over to the old one and would both be the same. Getting quite into this and wake at about 3 - 4 am and want to go and try something else on the pc or google. a possible answer if available. I have trouble on Google with identifying Windows Explorer as opposed to Internet explorer for solutions they start on one then go off to the other.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
No I havent as I know even less about Linux or how to load it to my pc.

I bought a windows 7 repair and installation disc so far so good and it installed Windows 7, so the screen says, but when I switch on and try to open it 2 messages come up

1. Windows Explorer failed close program
2. Windows Explorer failed seek advice on line later, close program.

So which ever the program closes and doesnt proceed further which is very frustrating. I have looked on line but cannot find a solution but aI did see that I can link this old computer to mine, which is Windows 10 via ethernet cable. Could I do this and locate Windows Explorer on my laptop and copy it over to the old one and would both be the same. Getting quite into this and wake at about 3 - 4 am and want to go and try something else on the pc or google. a possible answer if available. I have trouble on Google with identifying Windows Explorer as opposed to Internet explorer for solutions they start on one then go off to the other.

My best guess is...

1. you have actually bought a disc containing a whole bunch of drivers.
2. The disc has wrongly installed the wrong drivers for your graphics card.

Solution? Re-start / boot up into Safe Mode (with networking), let the PC continue installation of whatever drivers it thinks you need, then look in Device Manager for any faults. Locate the correct drivers and install them, then reboot the PC.
Google will tell you how to restart a Win7 laptop into Safe Mode. If you have the original Win7 installation CD, you do not need to buy a 'repair' disc from the Internet - all you need is on the original disc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My best guess is...

Solution? Re-start / boot up into Safe Mode (with networking), let the PC continue installation of whatever drivers it thinks you need, then look in Device Manager for any faults. Locate the correct drivers and install them, then reboot the PC.
Google will tell you how to restart a Win7 laptop into Safe Mode. If you have the original Win7 installation CD, you do not need to buy a 'repair' disc from the Internet - all you need is on the original disc.

I didnt have a disc as I bought the repair upgrade disc to upgrade from Windows XP I tried a reset to factory settings to start again but it showed no recovery point is available. have considered and googled how to format the c rive and start a complete new installation but cannot set the command to format,.it is showing c:\Windows\system32>

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My best guess is...

It is not connected to the internet but could I just plug an ethernet cable in and try it then. I could do this but I am worried that if it doesnt work it will cause more harm or problems..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here