Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Obvious bands which you knew about, but passed you buy until later

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Possibly a bit odd seeing as I am a mad Squeeze fan, but seeing as they had hits in 1978, I never got into them until 1987.

Of course, I had heard of Cool for Cats and Up the Junction, but I thought they had split up for good in 1982. It wasn’t until I went around a mates house in 1987 and he played “Greatest Hits” that I thought “wow”. Co-incidentally, they had Hourglass in the charts around that time and I simply went out and bought Album after Album of theirs.

I’ve seen them many times, but wish I had seen them in the early 80’s

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
LCD Soundsystem, chose to pass on their "final" UK show at Reading 2010 to go and see Axl Rose's Guns N Roses and then (once they had failed to turn up) Alkaline Trio...

2/3 years later I sat down and listened to Sound of Silver...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
LCD Soundsystem, chose to pass on their "final" UK show at Reading 2010 to go and see Axl Rose's Guns N Roses and then (once they had failed to turn up) Alkaline Trio...

2/3 years later I sat down and listened to Sound of Silver...

Oh boy. I’m envious. A while back I met a girl who hadn’t seen Breaking Bad; oh to be in that position again.

It was excellent discovering Nick Cave, as he has so much material. Guess it was same with you and LCD? And I’ve still not visited his Birthday Party stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I'm alone in this as they passed many people by at the time, but I was aware of the name Neutral Milk Hotel for about a decade before I finally heard In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Now one of my top two or three favourite albums of all time, and one of the top two or three live bands I've ever seen.

I've heard/seen mention of that album about 20,000 times now. I better finally actually listen to it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nick Cave is another for me. Completely passed me by until I met the wife and she took me to a Cave acoustic gig.

Still only skirted around the edges with NC, but pretty certain I'd/I'll like him. Where should I start?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Still only skirted around the edges with NC, but pretty certain I'd/I'll like him. Where should I start?

Christ. That’s a question, especially as his output has changed over the years. I got into him on Abbatior Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. This a gothic gospel rock and roll album (it also contains Nature Boy, a love song of sorts, which was the only song played at our wedding). I then went backwards. But you also now have the option of going forwards from here. I’d suggest Abbatior Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and select a few earlier albums and maybe the last two, Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree, to compare the difference. His latest album is arguably one of his best....quite stunning given his longevity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Christ. That’s a question, especially as his output has changed over the years. I got into him on Abbatior Blues/Lyre of Orpheus. This a gothic gospel rock and roll album (it also contains Nature Boy, a love song of sorts, which was the only song played at our wedding). I then went backwards. But you also now have the option of going forwards from here. I’d suggest Abbatior Blues/Lyre of Orpheus and select a few earlier albums and maybe the last two, Push the Sky Away and Skeleton Tree, to compare the difference. His latest album is arguably one of his best....quite stunning given his longevity.

Ta. Gothic Gospel Rock and Roll sounds right up my alley, Blackadder.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
The Cranberries
The Smiths
Phil Collins
Lightning Seeds

Knew of all of them but were all recommended to me by Spotify based on my listening habbits, among other newer bands.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't think I'm alone in this as they passed many people by at the time, but I was aware of the name Neutral Milk Hotel for about a decade before I finally heard In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Now one of my top two or three favourite albums of all time, and one of the top two or three live bands I've ever seen.

They didn't pass me by as I was introduced to them by a friend but I think Aeroplane Over the Sea is brilliant and right up there as one of the best rock albums of all time.

The act that passed me by at the time is Gram Parsons. During the 70s I dismissed him as a boring old country act but thanks to the prompting of Deano's Right Foot, I listened to him and discovered him to be one of the great songwriters with a truly wonderful voice. Teach me to be prejudiced.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Peter Gabriel. Weirdly been getting into some of his stuff recently, annoys me that I forget the song title but my Spotify brought one up the other day as I was driving and it was a beautiful piece of music.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I’ve still not visited his Birthday Party stuff.

Much as I love The Bad Seeds, I rate The Birthday Party higher - in fact I'd say they are my all-time favourite band, just edging out Sonic Youth.

It wasn't just Cave's youthful intensity, it was also the unhinged chaotic raw energy of Tracey Pew and Roland S Howard (RIP both). Mostly drug-fuelled of course. But then I was around at the time and lucky enough to have seen them several times live & in their enthusiastically disorderly pomp, so maybe that helped. I still love their work, but I'm not 100% sure how it would come across to a first-time listener three and a half decades after the event. The Bad Seeds are certainly a more polished outfit.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Linkin Park for me.

I have always thought, they sound alright good singles, but when Chester Bennington died last year I started listening through their back catalogue and absolutely love them. Just wish I had found this out before he died.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Oh boy. I’m envious. A while back I met a girl who hadn’t seen Breaking Bad; oh to be in that position again.

It was excellent discovering Nick Cave, as he has so much material. Guess it was same with you and LCD? And I’ve still not visited his Birthday Party stuff.

For the most part yes. I had heard New York I Love You well before but had palmed them off as being another Hot Chip (who I still don't get at all) and then a mate put on All My Friends and the floodgates opened.

It made me give Arcade Fire a shot (also missed them at Reading 2010 but more down to peer pressure to go and see Pendulum instead - TERRIBLE DECISION) and that was the real ocean of material that I couldn't believe I hadn't discovered.

And regarding Breaking Bad, I started watching it a couple of years after it finished, and in one long go (a latecomer to Netflix). Fantastic viewing but they should've stopped at the end of season 4.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here