Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The point at which I realised that the plan was to do one track and they had at least 20 minutes (unbeknown to us it was actually more like 50) was quite something.

Did they actually just do one track though? I have seen them perform this way before and, similar to the other poster, they brought in other tracks but used the first track off III as a basis for the set. I am aware they improvise this for each gig though; in China they were playing like this for 2 hours plus. That said, I loved it, and it reminded me of the way Ricardo Villalobos used to perform; maybe it’s a Chilean thing? Guess it’s all about opinions.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Did they actually just do one track though? I have seen them perform this way before and, similar to the other poster, they brought in other tracks but used the first track off III as a basis for the set. I am aware they improvise this for each gig though; in China they were playing like this for 2 hours plus. That said, I loved it, and it reminded me of the way Ricardo Villalobos used to perform; maybe it’s a Chilean thing? Guess it’s all about opinions.

Yeah, that's it. They also removed anything even resembling a drop from when I saw them last year. Very good shout on the Villalobos comp.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It was one track. There might have been nods towards other tracks by the guitarist but the rhythm -- the bare bones -- was consistent throughout.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Follakzoid have now played two of the best gigs I've ever seen. Last year at London Fields when they did 3 tracks in 60 minutes and last night where they reached the logical conclusion of their post-III refining of their set, turning one 10 minute track into a whole 90 minutes.

The two previous Brighton shows at The Joker and Bleach were no slouches either

The band they remind me of these days are Nissenmondai, not necessarily in sound but in this 6-sigmaing (is this the work bellcheese thread?) of their sound until all but the essential elements remain.

Honourable mention for Merlin Tonto who were just about the perfect support act as well.

As an aside, do you work in process control then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A previous life.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Funny. My background is statistics and I have some experience of statistical process control from way back. I actually found it quite interesting....so much so that I even made a pilgrimage to the Ford plant in Detroit where some of the ideas were developed. I was in Detroit for other reasons but i felt the urge to go there. Rock n roll.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, my turn for Föllakzoid last night. They played for two hours and we got three songs. The first one was a 53 minute version of the opener on III. Short break, then a lengthy version of another track off III. Then a 40 minute encore which was another track off same album. Great little venue, good crowd and another brilliant gig from them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and we got a costume change. From dress to bra, tights and knickers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw them last week. Excellent.

Well done! They were ace last night but disappointingly (but not unsurprisingly, *cough* keyboards *cough*) didn't do 'night blooming Cereus'. Joe is hilarious with his grimacing. The venue was great - tiny. I was a bit surprised by the audience demographic - mostly 30s to (ahem) 60s. The support was Sauna Youth. Never heard of them and initially thought they were a Sonic Youth tribute act :)wozza:). In fact they were a young group from points between London and (yes) Brighton. We chatted with the drummer after. So young, so sweet. Cracking evening. And we bought some merch. Lovely merch :O

This went down particuarly well. I wriggled a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a74pRtvFKeU&list=RDa74pRtvFKeU&start_radio=1

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone go to the IDLES gig at Komedia tonight?

Only a shortish set as it was only meant to be a resident records in store performance to mark the release of their second album but got upgraded to the Komedia due to demand.

Its the second time I have seen them live and they are absolutely brilliant!

Playing the concord 2 in October but tickets sold out within a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here