Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah, Locadia was a bargain at 13m.

Bottom line for me is that Conor is quality, proved that with us. You're happy with 3m, I am not.

Great - pick one example to prove your point, and one that we don't even know will work out yet ? Why not compare with say, Gross - who was about the same price.....................

Didn't say I was happy with it - it just looks like that was his MV (on the basis we weren't offered any more)

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
end of the day ... he wanted game time and wasn't going to get it by the looks of things so he made a personal choice to move when given the chance , cant blame the guy for being a bit selfish and looking after no.1 though loyalty by the club with his heart condition doesn't look like it got repaid

Disagree that he owed any kind of 'loyalty' beyond the end of last season. He's too old and too good to be sat on our bench, especially given his circumstances can't begrudge him at all wanting to play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Disagree that he owed any kind of 'loyalty' beyond the end of last season. He's too old and too good to be sat on our bench, especially given his circumstances can't begrudge him at all wanting to play.

Let's leave loyalty out of this, on both sides, eh?

CG was an employee of our club; he played (well) when called upon, and by all accounts trained well and was a well-liked and valued member of the squad. He wanted to leave for valid career reasons (quite possibly not for money - anyone considered that he might be on lower wages at skint Rangers? - and the club agreed to it (and got about three times what they paid for him).
The club were loyal to him when he needed heart surgery? - OK, but at the end of the day they were contractually obliged t pay his wages anyway.

So yes, we're all sad to see him go, we rated him as a good player, Rangers have got a bargain, and we wish him well (and some of us will follow his career with interest). And that's it.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
by loyalty I was only meaning giving it one more season unless he spoke to the Boss and got a clear idea he had little to no chance of starting more games ... whats done is done , cant go back so lets move on and wish Goldson the best of luck and support the players in the current squad .. in saying that I hope Duffy gets his mojo back or is replaced as he just doesnt look the same player he was a year ago

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Better than Duffy IMO.

This - major mistake in selling him, especially so cheaply and with no apparent sell on clause or first dibs if he's looking for a future move. That said I see it from Goldson's perspective given that CH appears to have an all-consuming commitment towards Duffy.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Connor has had one hell of a good start. Good luck to the lad.
Accepting that the SPL is what it is, he is still showing the signs of future excellence.
I recall that Adam Virgo went to Celtic and failed to impress so it cannot be that bad

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry, have the club said there is one? I heard it as a rumour, is it more than that?

I suspect it will remain a rumour too - the only time is existence (if it exists) would be verified would be if we ever invoked it.

Bearing in mind that Rangers got a bargain (and they know it, or at least their fans do!) I suspect that we may have been in a position to insist on a clause or two (buy back, or more likely IMHO, a sell-on clause) but whether we have actually done so, I've no idea!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I suspect it will remain a rumour too - the only time is existence (if it exists) would be verified would be if we ever invoked it.

Bearing in mind that Rangers got a bargain (and they know it, or at least their fans do!) I suspect that we may have been in a position to insist on a clause or two (buy back, or more likely IMHO, a sell-on clause) but whether we have actually done so, I've no idea!

I'd be AMAZED if we didn't have a buy-back cause given CG's obvious potential and Rangers' lack of funds - but, you're right, we won't find out until he moves on.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They know it now. Not sure how much they knew before.
I'd think we probably don't, as these clauses seem pretty rare. How many examples can you guys think of?

Some (slightly dodgy) examples in this year-old article: https://www.football365.com/news/ten-times-a-buy-back-option-was-actually-taken

Many of the big European clubs are adding the clause when selling on young talent (to avoid the Lukaku/Pogba situation).

Let's hope Albion have been paying attention.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Connor has had one hell of a good start. Good luck to the lad.
Accepting that the SPL is what it is, he is still showing the signs of future excellence.
I recall that Adam Virgo went to Celtic and failed to impress so it cannot be that bad

Virgs was crocked early on and Celtic have a habit of injuring players then playing them too soon (Kayal another example).

Conor is in safe hands at Ibrox....

TNBA

TTF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They know it now. Not sure how much they knew before.
The fans probably didn't. But maybe Rangers' recruitment team, apart from their coaching network, had a little bit of inside....cough...Murphy...cough...information?

I'd think we probably don't, as these clauses seem pretty rare. How many examples can you guys think of?
Which is why I said (in the part of my post that you omitted from the quote) that I thought a sell-on clause was more likely. Of course, that doesn't stop me hoping we have both!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just scored again for Rangers in the Europa League against FC Ufa

- didn't see the other Europa thread

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He is famous!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills