Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brazil v Mexico

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Glenn Hoddle said in commentary the other day: "The lad's done well to draw the foul there."

"Draw the foul" is a phrase I don't think I ever heard watching football from 1976-1998. After that point when Diego Simeone was pole-axed by Beckham's toe things got a lot more stupid.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I thought it was impossible to dislike anyone more than Zaha, but have to admit Neymar’s right up there 🤬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think I've ever seen as much faking in a World Cup. Its been a great tournament overall, but the sheer amount of playacting has been on another level to anything I've ever seen before.

30 years ago it was rare.

By 1990, Germany and some latin countries were experts at diving / exaggerating.

It crept into English football in a big way in the PL era.

The latest change I noticed was with pundits. Say three years ago, old school players now pundits, like Shearer and the others, used the frank words cheat and dive all the time. Rightly condemning. Now, they've all been seduced. Churning out:
"A tackle that didn't need to be made"
"Well, there was contact"
"Clever by the attacker"

Plus other cheating like running down the clock by players throwing the ball to each other, taking a minute to take a throw in. A modern thing, now rife at all levels.

I haven't given up hope on the authorities changing tact and clamping down on all this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
30 years ago it was rare.

By 1990, Germany and some latin countries were experts at diving / exaggerating.

It crept into English football in a big way in the PL era.

The latest change I noticed was with pundits. Say three years ago, old school players now pundits, like Shearer and the others, used the frank words cheat and dive all the time. Rightly condemning. Now, they've all been seduced. Churning out:
"A tackle that didn't need to be made"
"Well, there was contact"
"Clever by the attacker"

Plus other cheating like running down the clock by players throwing the ball to each other, taking a minute to take a throw in. A modern thing, now rife at all levels.

I haven't given up hope on the authorities changing tact and clamping down on all this.

Not as exaggerated, but Glenn Murray knows how to fall down when he iniatiated contact.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Let's just wait until 10pm tomorrow before we arrive at that conclusion, because if we lose, this whole world cup is going to have a "same old England" feel to it.

Southgate has gone 'all in' and put England's house, car and valuable collection of Victorian thimbles on 'Red'. Let the roulette wheel spin...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why doesn't VAR get him a yellow for simulation.
Well VAR can't do that. The ref could have though.

If I was the ref, when he was rolling on the floor, I'd have asked him if he'd be ok to carry on. He'd have said he wasn't sure, as the injury was so bad. I'd then have restarted the game and made him wait 5 minutes before coming on.

I will be cheering on Belgium.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I can't warm to this Brazil team. I'm not sure if it's because Neymar is becoming a bigger bellend by the day or if it's all the whining after the switzerland game or just the **** you sexy samba football sheer Germanic efficientness of the team.

No denying they're a decent team though. They look rock solid defensively through the middle of the pitch and have plenty of quality going forward. Their quarter final against Belgium should be a cracker as will the possible semi against France.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought it was impossible to dislike anyone more than Zaha, but have to admit Neymar’s right up there ��
If you were a Mexican player, would you have just given him a black eye after the final whistle?

Play against Beligium with that you ****ing cheat.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well VAR can't do that. The ref could have though.

If I was the ref, when he was rolling on the floor, I'd have asked him if he'd be ok to carry on. He'd have said he wasn't sure, as the injury was so bad. I'd then have restarted the game and made him wait 5 minutes before coming on.

I will be cheering on Belgium.

He was off the pitch anyway. Just play on FFS.

I see the bedraggled little scrote has even managed to embarrass himself into a normal haircut, after the worldwide ridicule there was to that malnourished dead sheep he had hanging off his swede in the first game.

Neymar is one of those odious players who has fully bought into the concept of not just being a footballer, but also being a "BRAND". I'd be perfectly ok with it if some swarthy Uruguayan sends him spinning out of the tournament with six pronounced studmarks embedded on his achilles.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
If you were a Mexican player, would you have just given him a black eye after the final whistle?

If I was a Mexican, he would have had a bloody good reason to be rolling around in agony mate.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Didn’t realise Brazil were search a bunch of diving whingers!

I'm 50 so I've been aware for i'd say 49 years 11 months that they are a cynical cheating load of tossers

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Players like Ronaldo are very similar to Murray in terms of their gamesmanship. Players like Neymar, Pepe and Zaha are on a completely different level. Thankfully England hasn't as of yet succumbed to the levels of cheating which is in other countries not seen as much of a big deal ... although there are exceptions such as players like Young and Alli - but at least they are called out on it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Damn typo. It was supposed to say 'wouldn't you', and be a rhetorical question.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Players like Ronaldo are very similar to Murray in terms of their gamesmanship. Players like Neymar, Pepe and Zaha are on a completely different level. Thankfully England hasn't as of yet succumbed to the levels of cheating which is in other countries not seen as much of a big deal ... although there are exceptions such as players like Young and Alli - but at least they are called out on it.

Ronaldo and his Portugese cheating colleagues are up there in the highest category.

He gets a free pass with closet ManU fans.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Willian. Lovely player, him and Hazard absolutely tore us a new one at the Amex. Their performances were only bettered by Coutinho IMO, who gave probably the greatest individual performance by an opposition player I think I have ever seen.

Blimey, isn't it great talking about these players we've now actually seen in the flesh !

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ronaldo and his Portugese cheating colleagues are up there in the highest category.

He gets a free pass with closet ManU fans.

I've watched a lot of Murray and Ronaldo over the years. They're very similar in how they try to win decisions. A lot of people just don't like Ronaldo, but he's not up there in the highest category. He makes the most of things obviously, but he's no where near the level of the others I mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here