Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good to see a strong NSC contingent getting dizzy at the velodrome this morning. 78 Laps! All looking strong after 90 mins. Well done [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION], [MENTION=635]Gary Nelsons teacher [MENTION=12697] and nice to say hello to Steve Foster[/MENTION] .
Look forward to hearing the stories.

Thanks to you and the rest of the NSC massive for coming along and giving us a cheer.. Of the three of us, I claim the wooden spoon - and by a large margin. I was indeed, and as you report, doing OK after about 90 minutes - if not as well as the other two. But the wheels fell off my particular wagon at around mile 22. I simply seized up. I don't think it was the dreaded wall but simply the accumulated battering from the course plus my own creaking 62 year old super-structure. So not really my cup of tea - although the organisation was fine and the camaraderie was great. It was just so bloody boring (fair enough - that's what I should have expected) but worse than this was the camber and the overtaking rule which meant that the overtaking athlete has the inside track and the poor sap who is overtaken has to move aside - which meant up the camber. I think I must have been overtaken about 322 times.
But absolutely no complaints, excuses or whinges.. My sub 4 target turned into a nightmarish 4:52 and I think 4th from last (this is a hard core event). No more marathons for me - but am in awe of the ******** who can knock them off on a seemingly weekly basis!
Well done to dazzer and Steve Foster although the latter looked even worse than me as he limped away!

PS it was 'only' 72.5 laps.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks to you and the rest of the NSC massive for coming along and giving us a cheer.. Of the three of us, I claim the wooden spoon - and by a large margin. I was indeed, and as you report, doing OK after about 90 minutes - if not as well as the other two. But the wheels fell off my particular wagon at around mile 22. I simply seized up. I don't think it was the dreaded wall but simply the accumulated battering from the course plus my own creaking 62 year old super-structure. So not really my cup of tea - although the organisation was fine and the camaraderie was great. It was just so bloody boring (fair enough - that's what I should have expected) but worse than this was the camber and the overtaking rule which meant that the overtaking athlete has the inside track and the poor sap who is overtaken has to move aside - which meant up the camber. I think I must have been overtaken about 322 times.
But absolutely no complaints, excuses or whinges.. My sub 4 target turned into a nightmarish 4:52 and I think 4th from last (this is a hard core event). No more marathons for me - but am in awe of the ******** who can knock them off on a seemingly weekly basis!
Well done to dazzer and Steve Foster although the latter looked even worse than me as he limped away!

Absolutely, saw @Sim Gull, [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]s Harmonica, [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], apologies if I’ve missed any others, great to see you. Good honest assessment there @GNT. Was pretty ok for me until about 18 miles then turned to shit as I got something wrong on the fuelling front and was getting stomach cramps 1-2 times every lap which probably cost me a Pb in the end, finishing in 3.51 and change I think.

Didn’t actually think the camber was as bad as I was expecting, and the laps seemed to tick by relatively OK for the most part. Not sure I’ll do it again though !

Certainly an experience this morning! Never ran a marathon with so many laps. What kept me sane was the iPod. I don’t tend to use them for marathons as there is always so much going on & views to look at, but in the bowl of The Velothon it was pretty samey. Still it was only 3 minutes or so till the food station on each lap.

I have entered the Eastbourne Trackster marathon next spring. That is 105 laps on a 400m track. Boy am I not looking forward :)

Anyway another one ticked off in 4:05. Marathon 134 next weekend in Valencia. Thank you Sky in moving the match to Monday. I can watch it now.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I ran an 18:30 today, although something has gone wrong with the barcode scanning so I've had to email them to update the website. I felt like I was going struggle to maintain the pace I needed today, probably not enough of a warm up but I wasn't awake early enough today really. It wasn't my best run but I moved through the gears in the first mile and found myself completing the first mile in 5:35 which felt ok. Even at mile 2 I felt I was moving ok having completed a 6:02 for 11:37 at the 2 mile stage. My plan was to sit in and then pile into a straight sprint from the final cone turn to try and get under 18, or 18:22 for a PB. It didn't happen for me today, but I'm going to target another PB run attempt in 3 weeks with a couple of tweaks to sessions. Good to see [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18282]Left Back[/MENTION] today, [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] appears also to have been there but not to have run into us.

A triathlon will happen, maybe in 2018 but definitely in 2019 if not.

Great time still and a seriously quick first mile! Preston Park isn't a PB course so let's hope the Prom or Worthing has a windless day in 3 weeks as they are the courses to attack a sub 18.

Couldn't get down for the Velodrome run today but well done to everyone who completed.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Velothon in all it’s glory, courtesy of Jon Lavis, ever-present photographer at Sussex Trail Events. Cracking pic of [MENTION=18762]Garry Nelson[/MENTION]’s Teacher before the start, think his demeanour then sums things up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jel183/sets/72157688326626551/

Thanks for posting. Totally agree: the demeanour is best explained by me thinking that I should be 200 yards away at the start of the park run! I don't suppose there is much danger of the guys at Sussex Trail approaching me for a deal to use my image rights on their future publicity materials?
Looking forward to being able to walk downstairs without pain around Wednesday lunchtime........................
Cheers!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Well that's over and done with. Hope I can add one when I reach your ripe age. You can reap the benefits now. A few weeks recovery before making use of your endurance with a short training plan to get you over 80% AG at Parkrun. Good luck with that. It's the NSC equivalent of the 4 minute mile being broken!

The Velothon in all it’s glory, courtesy of Jon Lavis, ever-present photographer at Sussex Trail Events. Cracking pic of [MENTION=18762]Garry Nelson[/MENTION]’s Teacher before the start, think his demeanour then sums things up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jel183/sets/72157688326626551/

Cruel but very, very funny.:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Absolutely, saw @Sim Gull, [MENTION=11716]Penny[/MENTION]s Harmonica, [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], apologies if I’ve missed any others, great to see you. Good honest assessment there @GNT. Was pretty ok for me until about 18 miles then turned to shit as I got something wrong on the fuelling front and was getting stomach cramps 1-2 times every lap which probably cost me a Pb in the end, finishing in 3.51 and change I think.

Didn’t actually think the camber was as bad as I was expecting, and the laps seemed to tick by relatively OK for the most part. Not sure I’ll do it again though !

Certainly an experience this morning! Never ran a marathon with so many laps. What kept me sane was the iPod. I don’t tend to use them for marathons as there is always so much going on & views to look at, but in the bowl of The Velothon it was pretty samey. Still it was only 3 minutes or so till the food station on each lap.

I have entered the Eastbourne Trackster marathon next spring. That is 105 laps on a 400m track. Boy am I not looking forward :)

Anyway another one ticked off in 4:05. Marathon 134 next weekend in Valencia. Thank you Sky in moving the match to Monday. I can watch it now.

I say this with a mix of sheer admiration and disbelief that anyone would not only think about this but actually put themself through it....but you guys are absolutely nuts. Bravo!!!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well that's over and done with. Hope I can add one when I reach your ripe age. You can reap the benefits now. A few weeks recovery before making use of your endurance with a short training plan to get you over 80% AG at Parkrun. Good luck with that. It's the NSC equivalent of the 4 minute mile being broken!

That's very kind; much appreciated.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been looking ahead; http://www.parkrun.org.uk/christmas-compendium/

I'm planning on Preston Park on Christmas Day and then the TRADITIONAL Hove Prom and Hove Park double bill to kick off 2018. I'm at 47 parkruns now (33 in 2017) so I'm a bit torn about whether to hold off and make Christmas Day or New Years Day my 50th, or just ignore it because it really doesn't matter until 100!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'll out him. 220. Great shot. Great runner and 2018 he'll be favourite for the NSC AG award yet again.

thanks, just curious. Fantastic achievement with what looks like a casio time piece!

I know each runner was chipped, but how did each runner know how many laps they had run

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There is a guy at Worthing Parkrun I had suspected of being GNT based on age and approximate finishing positions compared to me. That man is NOT number 220 in those photos. Thank god I hadn’t plucked up the courage to approach my man at Worthing!

I went up to MP Peter Kyle at Hove Park run last week and asked how he was. Over the next 10 minutes listening to his current injuries and triathlon record I realised it wasn't him. Nice enough bloke though.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

How did you know how far you’d ran and when you’d actually completed the 26.2? I imagine GPS watches would have shown up their limitations on such a course and been fairly inaccurate and you’d surely have lost count of the laps.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done to PP parkrunners and Velo dudes – fantastic effort. I sauntered around Hove Park in the end – Friday night saw me demolish my deferred post-Beachy Chinese, so I wasn't really up for PBing anything. Think I was 23. something, which was fine. Dragged myself out for 10 miles this morning, which was an effort. The winter running weather is truly upon us now...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I had a lovely afternoon steady run home from seeing Murder On The Orient Express at the Odeon, the walk there in running shorts and shirt (with a baselayer!) was unpleasant but it was lovely running home in the dusk. It wasn't so cold that it was unpleasant, but it wasn't too far short to be fair! Gloves will need to come out of the drawer now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here